U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,056,457 times

Advertisements

They say "Right On" when acknowledging something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,649,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Oh yeah, very true. So Americans from the eastern 60% of the country don't say that?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM

208 posts, read 707,815 times
I once talked to a girl from Ohio when I was in Los Angeles. And right off the bat, she says I was from New York.
I'm from Jersey and I was shocked she was able to be so on point.

While in LA, I met a British guy and we used to make fun of the SoCal accent. Kinda nasally and over pronounced. To me anyway

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 13,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What are some things in a person's language that imply they are from the West Coast (WA, OR, CA, or perhaps NV or AZ) and not from say, Iowa, Denver or a northern-transplanted part of the urban South?

I think there is somewhat of a difference between Californian and Pacific Northwest too. PNW speech tends to be a bit 'flatter' and less excitable, and a few different words, such as 'pop' rather than soda.
california regional speech does indeed differ from the pacific northwest region

as for the california connection to phoenix speech, lots of arizona orients towards californian vowels and usage like 'the' before freeways (freeway itself a westernism, most of the rest of the continent uses highway). Nevada also shows signs of californian vowels.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM

163 posts, read 166,741 times
Californians seem to draw out their short "a" vowels to sound a little bit like a short "o". For instance, it sometimes sounds kind of like "Bach" when some people say "back". Not quite as exaggerated, but somewhere in between Bach and back. Almost like "THe Californians" sketch they do on SNL. Obviously, that's exaggerated for humor's sake.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Hey, "Right On", Man".

"Right" pause, pause, On"!

This is a throw back from the hippies days, not only in California. Watch old movies, and sit-coms from the late 60's and 70's. It disappeared for a few decades, but then returned 5yrs ago, or so. I think it's on it's way out again.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
Well ofcourse if the word "Hella" or "Hecka" comes out of their mouth there is a 99% chance they are from California...most likely NorCal. Im pretty guilty of saying these words everyday.
I'm from NorCal(Sacramento) and I can barely remember when we DIDN'T use "hella" and "hecka".

It's hella awesome that we say hecka all the time.

For years, I had no idea this was a NorCal term. I thought all y'all said it in the south, north, and midwest.

It's use is spreading.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
it may sound weird, but they say "and" a lot

Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,264,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Demo View Post
"hella" term used alot if Nor-Cal
...and then, not really in The City. East Bay is "hella" country.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Oh yeah, very true. So Americans from the eastern 60% of the country don't say that?
A friend from NYC says that and I've started to say it. It's not very common, though.

Anyway: american english - What is a West Coast (U.S.) accent? - English Language and Usage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or