U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area accent is distiguishable, especially in the East Bay. In addition to "hella", there's the accent itself, which has a Deep South twang but NYish in its intensity. In Oakland it's more laid-back and in SF it's faster (like the towns themself). It's mostly a class thing though; you won't hear the richer kids speaking this way unless they're tryna be "down".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Oh yeah, very true. So Americans from the eastern 60% of the country don't say that?
Nah, not to the extent they use it in places like San Diego.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,997,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Whenever someone says "THE" in front of a freeway or highway number. Californians refer to THE 10, or THE 5, or THE 215. I don't know of anyone else that says this. Here in Baltimore we just say "take 95 North" or "take 695 west then 83 south". When I heard someone say that she takes "the 695 to the 83" I KNEW she was from California and I was right. Even in other places with lots and lots of freeways like Dallas or Atlanta I've not heard this.
At one time, many Southern California freeways were known exclusively by their title names requiring the use of the article "the". When the freeway number was used exclusively, the use of the article remained:

"The" Santa Monica Frwy is "the" 10.

"The" Harbor Frwy is "the" 110.

"The" Ventura Frwy is "the" 101

"The" Hollywood Frwy is "the" 101 or "the" 170.

"The" Santa Ana Frwy and "The" Golden State Frwy are "the" 5, depending if you are north or south of Downtown LA.

.....and so on with the another 20 plus freeway names.

In NorCal we say interstate 280, Highway 99, interstate 5, and so on. We do not say "the" 5, "the" 280.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 AM

34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What are some things in a person's language that imply they are from the West Coast (WA, OR, CA, or perhaps NV or AZ) and not from say, Iowa, Denver or a northern-transplanted part of the urban South?

Some things I notice would be the use of 'hella', though this decreases with distance from San Francisco, a bubbly tone to the voice, especially but not exclusively among female speakers, 'Canadian' like raising of certain words, like the 'a' in 'happen', and saying 'sure' like 'sher'.

I think there is somewhat of a difference between Californian and Pacific Northwest too. PNW speech tends to be a bit 'flatter' and less excitable, and a few different words, such as 'pop' rather than soda.
You say "the" before the highway number like "You take The 5..." I never heard anyone in NY say "The 495" it's just "Take 495 to..." Drives me nuts in TV shows when they are supposed to be on the East Coast.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 19 days ago)

8,692 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
At one time, many Southern California freeways were known exclusively by their title names requiring the use of the article "the". When the freeway number was used exclusively, the use of the article remained:

"The" Santa Monica Frwy is "the" 10.

"The" Harbor Frwy is "the" 110.

"The" Ventura Frwy is "the" 101

"The" Hollywood Frwy is "the" 101 or "the" 170.

"The" Santa Ana Frwy and "The" Golden State Frwy are "the" 5, depending if you are north or south of Downtown LA.

.....and so on with the another 20 plus freeway names.

In NorCal we say interstate 280, Highway 99, interstate 5, and so on. We do not say "the" 5, "the" 280.
Did that in Phoenix, the I-10, the 17, the 101, the 303, etc. They did it on the news and everyone I know spoke of them that way.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I'm not LINative but I think West Coast people have like no accent. I just watched some YouTube clips of Californians and their alleged "accents". They seem to speak how words are written lol. They say call as "c-all," not like I do..."cawll".
The only people anywhere in the country I've ever heard pronounce "cawl" are New Yorkers and maybe people from the immediate surrounding area. Everywhere else I have been or lived (west coast, midwest) they just say "c-all" just as it is spelled.

And I have lived here in Seattle for 3 years, and don't notice that people speak any differently at all from how they did back home in the Midwest (Nebraska).

Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Did that in Phoenix, the I-10, the 17, the 101, the 303, etc. They did it on the news and everyone I know spoke of them that way.
Sort of makes sense, since Phoenix is the largest metro next to LA, San Diego, and the Inland Empire(San Berdo and Riverside). Also, there are a lot of transplants from SoCal in the Phoenix area. Vegas sort of adopted the same usage.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-31-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You say "the" before the highway number like "You take The 5..." I never heard anyone in NY say "The 495" it's just "Take 495 to..." Drives me nuts in TV shows when they are supposed to be on the East Coast.
Personally, when in SoCal it feels completely natural to say "the" 5, or "the" 10, etc. I've lived in SoCal (San Diego and LA). But, when I'm back home in NorCal (Sacramento), I never say that, UNLESS I am referring to a frwy in SoCal, then I will use the article "the".

"We took Interstate 5 south to LA yesterday. It was a breeze all the way down until "the" 5 meets "the" "405". "The" 405 was jammed all the way to "the" 10."

Replace the title name with the number and you can see how this practice was adopted decades back.

"We took Interstate 5 south to LA yesterday. It was a breeze all the way down until "the" Golden State Frwy meets "the" San Diego Frwy. "The" San Diego Frwy was jammed all the way to "the" Santa Monica Frwy."

OMG! I sound like that SNL skit, "The Californians",

Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I've never noticed that. I think that'll bother me now when I see it.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,537,194 times
Tell them to say Cot and Caught. If they are pronounced the same. They are most likely from the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or