U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In Upstate NY, perhaps Ithaca or Glens Falls may work. Other places may work there depending on the type of work you are looking for and your skills/education. Western Massachusetts may work as well.
On another note much of Pennsylvania could possibly work as well especially Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, or Pittsburgh. However job salaries will not be as high as those on the Boswash corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM

9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Providence Metro, maybe Baltimore too

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,126,765 times
You could try Baltimore or Richmond. If living in Baltimore, you can commute to DC for work.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Deceptive. Property Tax in NH is very high.
Didn't know that. Being from NJ, we tend to see everyone else as having low property tax, hehehe. But I didn't know that NH was up there.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Deceptive. Property Tax in NH is very high.
Lakes Region has more reasonable taxes, and the southern part of the state has high property taxes.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Didn't know that. Being from NJ, we tend to see everyone else as having low property tax, hehehe. But I didn't know that NH was up there.
2011 Property Tax Rates & Related Data | Municipal Services Division | NH Department of Revenue Administration

Access the NH property tax rates on a town by town basis through this document... The Lakes Region has very reasonable taxes compared to much of NJ. If the rate is about 12.00 per $1,000 assessed value or lower on a 250-300K house expect to pay $3,500 or less per year in property taxes. The towns with some of the lowest tax rates are: Bridgewater, Hebron, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, Wakefield, Sandwich, Freedom, Albany, Alton, etc. All of those that I mentioned generally have rates of 12.00 per $1,000 or less.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-12-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
This. The cheapest real estate in New England is in central & northern Maine, and far northern New Hampshire, but those low prices will mean nothing if you don't have a job that pays well. I'm less familiar with Maryland.

What do you do for work?

What is it about New England and Maryland that appeal to you specifically? There's quite a difference between, say, northern Maine and the suburbs of Washington DC.
I know a few people who live in the Lakes Region and work closer to Concord. It is a reasonable 35 minute commute which isn't that bad for those that stay on the main roads most of the way.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM

12 posts, read 24,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
You could try Baltimore or Richmond. If living in Baltimore, you can commute to DC for work.
Baltimore isnt cheap its actually probably more expensive than Philly and a commute from baltimore to dc would be a pain the traffic is rough

Old 08-12-2012, 05:47 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js9494 View Post
Baltimore isnt cheap its actually probably more expensive than Philly and a commute from baltimore to dc would be a pain the traffic is rough
The MARC Penn Line and Camden Line both run from Baltimore to DC so if you live close in proximity to either Penn Station or Camden Station in Baltimore the commute to DC should not be too bad provided that your workplace is actually in DC. Now if you are talking about say the DC suburbs such as Rockville, McLean, or Tyson's Corner well that is another story entirely.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM

655 posts, read 2,044,805 times
Default Most Affordable Areas in New York State

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
I've been researching the east coast. I do like the east coast. The only problem is that it is very expensive. I cannot find many affordable places in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, or Maryland. Does anyone know of any places that are affordable where one could secure a decent paying job nearby?
Hello kmanloup,

You say East Coast and mention a lot of New England as well. Have you considered parts of Upstate New York? Parts of Upstate NY are among some of the most affordable locations in the U.S. ` Many areas with a somewhat lower Cost Of Living than the National Average; most affordable home buying prices, good quality of life, great place to raise a family, more. As a side-note, property taxes are high all across the Northeastern States except for some locations in quite rural areas 70-80 miles away from any large city.

Having said all that, I'll outline for you the Upstate NY regions that have the most reasonable Cost Of Living. Generally speaking, some exceptions, from Ticonderoga southward to Saratoga Springs to Albany to Kingston NY the cost of living is somewhat more expensive than westward in NY State. Then from Kingston southward & southwestward the cost of living becomes even more expensive as you get closer to the New York City area/New Jersey/Connecticut. Look at a New York State map. In general, with some exceptions, the most affordable areas in Upstate NY are north of Ticonderoga NY to the Canadian border, westward across the Adirondack Mountains to the shore of Lake Ontario. Also from Little Falls NY westward through Utica-Syracuse-Rochester-Buffalo. Also at Utica southward through Norwich to Binghamton NY and continuing westward to most every location to Lake Erie. Also from Little Falls/Utica northward & westward to the Canadian border & to Lake Ontario. That's a lot of territory in which to find an affordable place to live. The ocean coast is distant but the area I outlined in the Upstate NY area has huge Lake Ontario & Lake Erie as well as numerous beautiful lakes in the Finger Lakes Region (internet search info), around/at Metro Syracuse=(lakes=Oneida-Onondaga-Green-Cazenovia-Jamesville-Skaneatles-Cross-Beaver = lakes), and countless lakes in the Adirondack Mtns.` Yes, that's another asset here; the Adirondack Mountains/Lakes. And the Thousand Islands in the St. Lawrence River. To describe the topography. North of Interstate 90 to the shores of Lake Ontario from Syracuse to Buffalo, the landmass is relatively flatter with some gently rolling lands. South of Interstate 90 from Little Falls-Utica-Syracuse-Rochester-Batavia, the topography is a combination of: gently rolling land-high hills-many valleys-some flatland areas & lakes.

Areas in Upstate New York are a 1-1/2 hour to 5+ hour drive to many Northeastern U.S. / Canadian major cities. Example: from Syracuse to Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa = 3 hours; Syracuse to Boston = 4-1/2 hours; Syracuse to NY City = 3=1/4 hours; Syracuse to Philadelphia = 4 hours.

I hope my information helps you with your research. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions. Good luck to you.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or