U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,664,929 times

Advertisements

I think this might be an interesting question, since it would probably reveal patterns of kinship and migration between different regions, or if not, a lack of pattern.

I'm Anglo-Celtic in ancestry, my grandmother on my mother's side was born in Raynes Park, England (now part of Greater London) and my mother's father was born in San Francisco and is fifth-generation Irish San Franciscan. On my father's side, there is a lineage on American soil going back as far as the Puritans, and through both the North and the South. I believe it's primarily of British/Irish Catholic origin too but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some German mixed in there through those centuries.

All of my close family, that is first cousin and closer, live in the West, some in California, one branch in Arizona, and my immediate family all lives here in Oregon except my dad who lives in San Jose.

Go out to second cousin, great aunts/uncles etc and I have family in Oregon, Washington, Kentucky, and Ontario, and also in the UK.

What about you? How spread out is your kin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,739,035 times
My dad's from South Korea and moved to Connecticut when he was 13 with his mom and his older sister. I guess my grandmother has three sisters that were already in CT at the time but I've never met them as they don't get along. My dad's sister now lives in Ohio with her husband and they have two daughters, my cousins. One still lives in Ohio near them and the other lives in Bend, Oregon, I think. We don't really talk to them either.

I think my dad has a lot of family in S. Korea on his dad's side, although his dad's side and his mom's side don't see eye-to-eye, so I've never even met them.

My mom's whole family is from upstate NY. She has 2 sisters and 3 brothers. My aunts and uncles are spread out across upstate NY, Atlanta, and Baltimore. My mom and her older brother are the only ones in their family who have kids. My uncle's two kids are my cousins and the youngest lives in NY while the older one lives in Colorado with her husband and daughter.

My mother's dad was born in NY to Yugoslavian immigrants and my mom's mom was born in upstate NY by a mother from Virginia and a father also from upstate NY.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM

20,694 posts, read 19,650,447 times
Pennsylvania and Winnipeg in north America. Then I have family in Aberdeen and middlesbourough in gb. Dubai and then Brisbane.

But most of those are immigrants except the north American ones because most people here in the 1800s immigrated to Pennsylvania.Believe it or not my family in Northern Ireland is smaller than the American version.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,564,204 times
I'm an Anglo-Italian-Norse-Celt. Family from all over the place (England, Scotland, Italy and Denmark specifically).

Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,920,368 times
I don't know any family in the old countries. I have some Welsh ancestors that lived in Louisiana before coming to Missouri (We still have kin down there), and some Scotch-Irish ancestors that came through western North Carolina, Tennessee, and far southern Illinois to Missouri. I have some German ancestors that came straight to Missouri in the 1910's.

As I'm sure you can tell, I am primarily of Scotch-Irish ancestry.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM

964 posts, read 2,056,842 times
Both of my parents come from large families - one had 5 siblings; the other had 6.

SO: California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Wisconsin.

Getting into aunts, uncles, cousins; I have had family members who have lived (for more than 1 year) in France, Greece, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Lebanon, The Philippines, Saudi Arabia, and South Korea - some military, and some not (one in journalism abroad, one in financial services abroad); though all of 'em, with one exception, are back in the US now. The by-product of that globalized of a family is having a number of biracial or same race/different country cousins - various of my kinfolk have or had spouses who are/were Korean, Jamaican, Bahamian, Mexican, Irish, and French. We are Christian and Agnostic, with converts to Buddhism and orthodox Islam in the family. No one's become Jewish, Sikh or Hindu. Yet.

The one family reunion we've ever had was a logistical nightmare (suffice to say - we've never attempted another one), though it certainly did look like the U.N., all shoved into a modest row house in Hyattsville, Maryland.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 AM

20,694 posts, read 19,650,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't know any family in the old countries. I have some Welsh ancestors that lived in Louisiana before coming to Missouri (We still have kin down there), and some Scotch-Irish ancestors that came through western North Carolina, Tennessee, and far southern Illinois to Missouri. I have some German ancestors that came straight to Missouri in the 1910's.

As I'm sure you can tell, I am primarily of Scotch-Irish ancestry.
Where abouts in Northern Ireland do your family come from.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 AM

305 posts, read 761,009 times
I'm Irish-Italian. I live in Florida. Most of my family lives in or around Boston. I have some family that lives in New York and Rhode Island.

On the international scale I have some family that lives in Ireland, I believe still some in Italy, and some in Argentina.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,162,995 times
I'll start with my dad's side:
His grandparents (on his dad's side) are Italian from the Emilia Romagna region (Nonno Luigi was from Bologna and Nonna was from Rimini). Their two children lived in Massachusetts. My dad's cousin now lives in South Carolina. My dad's family lives in Delaware, St. Paul, Florida and three in the Boston area. I also keep in contact with a distant cousin who lives in Pesaro, Italy. Through the magic of Facebook, I've also been contacted by a family member living in Brazil.

I have no clue about my dad's mom's side.

On my mom's side:
Her grandparents came from Ireland to Philadelphia. All of their children lived in Philadelphia until they retired and then a few moved to Florida (Tampa and Miami). My mom's brother lives in Florida. My mom lives in Delaware. I'm not in contact with my Irish family.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,609,407 times
None, to speak of. I have a cousin in Florida who has children scattered into the winds, but otherwise, all my known living relatives are still in the Mid-western states they were born in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or