U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM

56,528 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Sounds like some "Rural Rich" folks you may see in parts of Upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

23,044 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Is it just me, or does this sound like a reality show?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
I think if they lived further out in the country around here then probably.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
i missed the part about "children supporting them in old age" lmao... why should their kids be obligated to help them? hahah.

not to get philosophical, but I don't think any children are obligated to help their parents, that is why they have laws saying you aren't of legal responsibility after 18. They didn't choose to be here, the parents should consider themselves lucky if there children want to do this.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Probably not...My circle would say they were rednecks with a bit of $.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,764 times
Around here, you can't make close to enough money doing those jobs for that scenaro to be remotely possible. I live in a pretty poor area on a dead end gravel road. We would call those people rich. To this day people out in my neck of the woods barter as much as they pay with cash.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 08-09-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Is it just me, or does this sound like a reality show?
Sounds like they need to be on a show alright. Suze Orman or Gail Vaz-Oxlade needs to b****slap them!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM

43,538 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Not really. Not with the jobs you say they have.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Would this description of a fictional family be a realistically attainable standard of living (or lifestyle) in your area? What would your circle describe this family as?

John and Heather are the parents of 3 children: Nathan, 13, Anna, 9, and Preston, 6. John is self-employed as a subcontractor in the commercial construction industry while Heather stays at home, although she earns additional income through a direct sales program. They live in a 1995-built 2,600 square foot home with a detached 3-car garage and pole building (neither included in square footage) on 10 acres, which they have a mortgage on. They also make payments on two cars (a '08 Chrysler Grand Voyager minivan and a '10 Ford F-350 crew cab large truck); the latter doubles as the father's work vehicle; three newer ATVs (totaling $18,000 in value); and a $13,000 boat they bought used. They do not make payments on, but have, a 2004 30' Class C motorhome, two four wheelers, a dirt bike, a jet ski, four classic cars in various states of restoration, and three other vehicles of trifling value (down from six), one of which is insured. Their home abuts state forest land, and there is a trail that connects their home with the trail network.

They have a small pond in their yard, where Heather and John set up a portable LCD projector and watch movies and drink whiskey and coke on summer nights.

As for hobbies, John is into restoring classic cars and attending car shows in the summer, hunting in the fall, and four-wheeling in the winter; Heather is into four-wheeling in the winter and gardening and wakeboarding in the summer. Nathan is into four-wheeling, dirt biking, and fishing. The entire family enjoys boating and camping on summer weekends at their uncle's cabin 100 miles away.

They go on a vacation about two times each year when work is slow. Last year they rented a vacation home in Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico for three weeks in the winter slow season and on a 3,000 mile, 2-week RV trip in the summer.

They have high-deductible health insurance. They have not started saving for their children's college education (the father is counting on Nathan going into his trade, and he works alongside him often in the summer) nor for retirement (the parents are expecting their children to support them in old age).
This sounds like a dream life for a lot of people in Michigan, except they'd have snowmobiles too. My guess is that John is older (at least mid-40s) and had some of the classic cars and money saved up before settling down. I'm not sure whether it's all attainable, but I would think that at least much of it is (we'll say 60-80 percent or so.)

The thing I'm somewhat concerned about in the OP's scenarios is that in terms of kids, they seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket towards Nathan. What about Anna and Preston? Are they left to fend for themselves? Most exurban type families that would find the above scenario to be a dream life would be saving for all of their kids' college expenses, and not just assuming that the oldest son will go into the family business and everything else will work itself out.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 AM

526 posts, read 995,782 times
You lost me and 90+ percent of others living in SF at "John and Heather are the parents of 3 children..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or