U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
 
11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Reputation: 10919

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I still don't get why anyone would move to Las Vegas.
Because the lists are basically taking historical population growth trends and then saying they're going to hold out for the next 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Did you read the article? If you did, you might have looked at the study and not just the pretty pictures. The study also lists the growth in the economies of every metro area in the country. San Jose, Ca is booming faster than China is lol.
I read it and you are still very very wrong.
Houston blew past DFW in the booming economy bit. Have you been paying attention to what is going on in Texas at all the last few years? Houston is growing faster than DFW numerically and percentage wise and its economy is growing faster in dollar value and by percent.

nothing you can say can make up for the article being silly.

I think you are the one that needs to read up more, but then again you probably saw Austin's rank and then stopped reading

GDP Change last decade:

1. New York 374B (3.5%)
2. Los Angeles 229.8B (3.7%)
3. Houston 188B (6.1%)
4. DC 170.5B (5.1% )
5. Dallas 151.6B (4.9%)
6. Chicago- 143.2B (3.1%)
7. Philadelphia 111.8B (3.9%)
8. SF 96.5B (3.5%)
9. Boston 94.5B (3.5%)
10. Seattle 84.2B (4.4%)
11. Atlanta 79.4B (3.3%)
12. Miami 77.9B (3.6%)

Population growth:
Houston +25.7%
Atlanta +23.5%
Dallas +22.7%
Seattle +13.3%
Washington DC +13.2%
Miami +8.1%
Philadelphia +5.3%
San Francisco +5.3%
Chicago +4.0%
Boston +3.6%
Detroit -2.6%

what silliness you gonna come up with now to defend the article?

You know very well that you are not defending DFW being on the list, you are just defending the list because Austin is number 1.
Just admit the article is severely flawed for ignoring the fastest growing major metro and the 3rd fastest economically growing metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Reputation: 46025
I seriously, seriously doubt these projections. Texas I get. North Carolina I get. Las Vegas? Las Vegas has serious problems. So does just about any city in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
 
4,169 posts, read 5,432,158 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I read it and you are still very very wrong.
Houston blew past DFW in the booming economy bit. Have you been paying attention to what is going on in Texas at all the last few years? Houston is growing faster than DFW numerically and percentage wise and its economy is growing faster in dollar value and by percent.

nothing you can say can make up for the article being silly.

I think you are the one that needs to read up more, but then again you probably saw Austin's rank and then stopped reading

GDP Change last decade:

1. New York 374B (3.5%)
2. Los Angeles 229.8B (3.7%)
3. Houston 188B (6.1%)
4. DC 170.5B (5.1% )
5. Dallas 151.6B (4.9%)
6. Chicago- 143.2B (3.1%)
7. Philadelphia 111.8B (3.9%)
8. SF 96.5B (3.5%)
9. Boston 94.5B (3.5%)
10. Seattle 84.2B (4.4%)
11. Atlanta 79.4B (3.3%)
12. Miami 77.9B (3.6%)

Population growth:
Houston +25.7%
Atlanta +23.5%
Dallas +22.7%
Seattle +13.3%
Washington DC +13.2%
Miami +8.1%
Philadelphia +5.3%
San Francisco +5.3%
Chicago +4.0%
Boston +3.6%
Detroit -2.6%

what silliness you gonna come up with now to defend the article?

You know very well that you are not defending DFW being on the list, you are just defending the list because Austin is number 1.
Just admit the article is severely flawed for ignoring the fastest growing major metro and the 3rd fastest economically growing metro.
Oh quit whinning....Houston Just didn't make the list....Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh quit whinning....Houston Just didn't make the list....Get over it.
You are just jealous that Houston is whipping DFW's but left and right. LOL DFW probably paid to be included in the article

Its okay though, everyone knows who the real Powerhouse in the state is. Dallas will continue to play second fiddle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I read it and you are still very very wrong.
Houston blew past DFW in the booming economy bit. Have you been paying attention to what is going on in Texas at all the last few years? Houston is growing faster than DFW numerically and percentage wise and its economy is growing faster in dollar value and by percent.

nothing you can say can make up for the article being silly.

I think you are the one that needs to read up more, but then again you probably saw Austin's rank and then stopped reading

GDP Change last decade:

1. New York 374B (3.5%)
2. Los Angeles 229.8B (3.7%)
3. Houston 188B (6.1%)
4. DC 170.5B (5.1% )
5. Dallas 151.6B (4.9%)
6. Chicago- 143.2B (3.1%)
7. Philadelphia 111.8B (3.9%)
8. SF 96.5B (3.5%)
9. Boston 94.5B (3.5%)
10. Seattle 84.2B (4.4%)
11. Atlanta 79.4B (3.3%)
12. Miami 77.9B (3.6%)

Population growth:
Houston +25.7%
Atlanta +23.5%
Dallas +22.7%
Seattle +13.3%
Washington DC +13.2%
Miami +8.1%
Philadelphia +5.3%
San Francisco +5.3%
Chicago +4.0%
Boston +3.6%
Detroit -2.6%

what silliness you gonna come up with now to defend the article?

You know very well that you are not defending DFW being on the list, you are just defending the list because Austin is number 1.
Just admit the article is severely flawed for ignoring the fastest growing major metro and the 3rd fastest economically growing metro.
Ok, now I know you didn't do what I told you. READ IT CAREFULLY. Re-read the article and click on the hyperlink that takes you to the 140+ page report that the list is based on! Inside the report, look at the growth for every single metro area in the United States. I don't know what it is with you, but get butt hurt too quickly and jump to conclusions. Now tell me what you see in the study before you make another ill informed response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I seriously, seriously doubt these projections. Texas I get. North Carolina I get. Las Vegas? Las Vegas has serious problems. So does just about any city in California.
You obviously haven't been paying attention to San Jose, Ca. Not all of Cali is suffering as many would want you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
 
1,634 posts, read 2,200,147 times
Reputation: 541
all of them are in the south or in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Reputation: 1508
I have the feeling that many of the cities in the sunbelt will not be growing as fast as they have in later decades, because the things that made them popular in the first place (low cost of living, job growth, easy-going, weather, overall newness) will begin to become less off a factor. With the exception of Dallas' DART, I really don't see any very progressive transportation plans in most of the sunbelt. Houston has light rail, but it's small and expansion is moving at a snail's place. Miami is already expensive and becoming increasingly expensive with some of the largest economic disparities in the country. Atlanta's failure to pass transportation initiatives will ultimately bite it in the behind. Rising energy costs/environmental issues will make us wonder why the hell we built two large cities in the desert (Phoenix and Las Vegas). Tampa, Orlando, San Antonio, Nashville etc. cant get true light rail off the ground and are following the failed suburban growth patterns of their larger sunbelt predecessors, Denver and Charlotte being the rare exception.

In all honesty, there will be some high growth "sunbelt" cities that have bright futures. I think Dallas will emerge as the healthier city in Texas, Houston is a disaster in my opinion and livability seems to be second to economic growth, little to no zoning or planning is not a good thing. Charlotte seems to be emerging as a younger, smarter, smaller alternative to Atlanta. Denver has some very progressive things going on as well, in terms of transit and urban redevelopment. All the other cities have a lot of work to do, in my opinion. I just don't see how many of these cities are going to be able to sustain such large populations and growth without MAJOR infrastructure improvements that will unavoidably increase the cost of living and taxes, resulting in slower growth. Some of these cities also have real potential to go bust, Detroit style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Reputation: 46025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention to San Jose, Ca. Not all of Cali is suffering as many would want you to believe.
I was out there in February. I understand that San Jose is doing well. But over time, the state's anti-business policies will begin to weigh heavily there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top