U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 PM

367 posts, read 760,743 times

Advertisements

Where are the Black Spanish speaking neighborhoods in the US ? I have only seen two neighborhoods in the country where I saw a lot of Black people speaking Spanish: Allapatah in Miami and the South BX in NY. I don't know if the Black Panamanians and Black Hondurans have their own neighborhood in Brooklyn? I know there's a lot of Black Colombians in Houston and DC but again I don't know if they have their own neighborhood. From what I heard about Houston, the Black Colombians are all spread around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 AM

48 posts, read 81,546 times
I would imagine Washington Heights since it is a Dominican neighborhood and a large majority if them are black. I think black Spanish speakers are sprinkled a little bit of everywhere, woke identify with their nationality or ethnicity more than their race. Maybe DC I know there was an Afro Colombia festival there.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I believe that Los Angeles has some Black Mexicans, as well as some Black folks that came from Central American countries(i.e.-Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.).

There are quite a few Dominicans in cities in eastern Massachusetts, especially Lawrence.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM

I didn't really cite Dominicans because most do not identify as such and didn't want to start an identity war. I was bringing up people who self-identify as such so there would be no issue. In LA, do they live in African American neighborhoods? I know Los Rakas, Panamanian group, lives in Oakland. Oakland is predominantly African American right?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I didn't really cite Dominicans because most do not identify as such and didn't want to start an identity war. I was bringing up people who self-identify as such so there would be no issue. In LA, do they live in African American neighborhoods? I know Los Rakas, Panamanian group, lives in Oakland. Oakland is predominantly African American right?
Oakland isn't predominantly Black and it may barely be mostly Black in terms of plurality. It is the Blackest major city in CA though.

Also, I wouldn't count out Dominican neighborhoods, as many do identify as being Black.

I'm not sure about Los Angeles, but I know that they are there.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Yeah Allapatah in Miami is very Dominican populated.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times
Dominicans are mulatto you one-droppists.

There are black Dominicans, white Dominicans, native looking Dominicans. But for the sake of the thread, I would agree with Washington Heights, also the western Bronx. We do have more blacks than just about any other hispanic group.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dominicans are mulatto you one-droppists.

There are black Dominicans, white Dominicans, native looking Dominicans. But for the sake of the thread, I would agree with Washington Heights, also the western Bronx. We do have more blacks than just about any other hispanic group.
There is no such thing as the "one drop rule", as everyone in the world would be Black and "Mulattoes" would have way more than just one drop. With that said, many Dominicans are Black and identify as such.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
Brooklyn's got many. My friend was half black, half Puerto Rican and spoke Spanish fluently.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowell84 View Post
I would imagine Washington Heights since it is a Dominican neighborhood and a large majority if them are black. I think black Spanish speakers are sprinkled a little bit of everywhere, woke identify with their nationality or ethnicity more than their race. Maybe DC I know there was an Afro Colombia festival there.
Yes, you've got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or