U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 5,869,070 times

Advertisements

Just be aware that "visiting" Portland (especially during the summer) and actually "living" in Portland year round are not even remotely the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 PM

53 posts, read 76,230 times
Hey there, I have never been to LA or southern California but I want to. But I have been to San Francisco and some of the surrounding areas. I am from the east coast and am not from a big city but I have been to Boston and New york so I know what they are like. All I can say is the first time I was in San Francisco I was amazed.
And I still am. It is such an awesome place and it is so cool there. You should at least go. Even if you can't live there its worth a visit and you will want to go back. It has such a great vibe. I have never been to LA so I cant compare the two but what I can say is that San Francisco won't be as warm as LA or southern California. It is cold in comparison. It is cold even in comparison to San Jose and other nearby areas. And it can get foggy, and I found parts of it to be very windy. Now compared to the northeast it is warm and very mild, but for California it seemed cold. In regards to the weather San Francisco will be different than LA. Just my two cents.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM

630 posts, read 841,405 times
San Diego

Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,496,612 times
I've lived in 3 of these areas in my life. San Diego, Portland. Not so much of my own choice it was completely related to employment. I now live in the Phoenix area and I just retired. So this area I did choose but only to check it out for retirement. I'm here for a year. So far I do not care for it. It is way to sprawled out and completely and I mean completely dependent on driving. Mileages are very long from place to place and its just really bland. The lack of transit is amazing for a Metro this large which is the 5th largest now. However the weather is beautiful right now. but the environment is just not for me. Phoenix will though be the most affordable of the 3 cities. Housing and Property taxes. Other than that its not so cheap

Portland. Very small big city. If your use to more it can get a isolated feeling. Feels rather small after awhile. Lots of homeless and gritty feeling to this city, as well as obvious drug useage is rampant in that city. Very undesirable elements on its transit. In its credit there are definitely options for transit in Portland. Yes it is rainy and its very damp and cool and gray for much of the year. Don't let anyone ever tell you the summers are beautifu. They don't last long and many days it doesn't get to 70 to late in the afternoon. Doesn't really feel like summertime in Portland. Very limited sun. Though for someone your age you might like the attraction of where the 20 set goes to I don't know. Portland does attract the 20 and 30 set. Just make sure if you decide on PDX, that you fit with the type of 20 and 30 set that moves there.Its a rather different type of population in many many ways. So Portland might fit your needs for awhile anyway.

San Diego is my favorite it has pros and cons also but I love the pros. I would prefer to retire to that area, but as for many it is way out of financial range. It is that expensive and keeps getting worse. I honestly think the COL is so out of touch in SD, that many people that live there need to leave. They are just not making it at all. Its really very sad because it is a beautiful place with so much to offer. So my pick San Diego and that region. if one can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or