U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,900,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I already knew where I wanted to live long before I came to C-D. Nothing I've seen or read has changed my mind about that. But rather, it has only confirmed.

However, I like to travel a lot and it's interesting and informative to read many of the posts about different places on here.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM

6,077 posts, read 8,374,618 times
You can read about a place all day long and still have no idea what that city is really like. Even visiting it's hard to get a feel for what it would be like to move there. I'd been thinking about making a cross country move for awhile and I had some places in mind. I came to Denver to visit a friend and something just clicked for me. I moved here a few months later. Definitely do your research about where to live and job markets, but ultimately I think it's just like finding the right partner. It's just a good feeling you get that ends up being the ultimate deciding factor!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,678,233 times
OP: Eventually you'll get so sick of going back and forth over cities in your head that you'll end up saying "**** it" and just move to wherever.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM

63 posts, read 113,552 times
We started with a short list of five important rational things that would lead to a good 'fit' for us it was, a city of two million plus, seasons, no harsh winters, mountains or coast not desert or farmland, music festivals, active industry to find employment. Amazingly these few criteria narrowed down the places quick smart. Then we visited them and used our gut instinct to make the final decision. So ask yourself, what are five or six boxes that must be ticked?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,516,473 times
I didn't choose St. Louis, it chose me.

Prior to moving to St. Louis from Australia, I applied for jobs everywhere in the world- St. Louis was the first place to offer me a job followed within hours by an offer in Florida, an offer in New York City and a job in Japan (I guess I'm just that awesome- plus, this was prior to the recession).

I chose St. Louis due to the better bang for your buck. Even though the wages were higher in the other locations- they weren't high enough to compensate for the much higher cost of living.

Fast forward some years and I ended up in North Carolina as I married a U.S. Marine. For the extent of time we've been together I've harped on and on about how much I missed St. Louis and how great it was (personal opinion here) but still looked at other options to move to and weighed them up accordingly.

When DH was deployed to Afghanistan last year, he 100% decided that he was not re-enlisting and left the choice of where we move in my hands.

Initially the contenders were Cincinnati, Nashville and Chicago as I thought I'd try something new and different.

-Cincinnati got put almost immediately out of the running as my husband lived in Ohio for a few years as a child and hated it so much he didn't even want to entertain the idea.

-Chicago I voted out because as much as I love it for a weekend away or vacation, the cost of living is still prohibitive.

-Nashville was a contender for the longest time, but I was insistent that we be able to buy a house in cash, outright, and I just couldn't find something within our price range in a good area that suited my needs... which lead me back to St. Louis.

-St. Louis with it's mid century modest ranch houses, retro coolness and urban decay coupled with super cheap housing thanks to the recession became the #1 choice and within a few emails to my deployed husband- he agreed on St. Louis.

In two days I'm closing on our house there and we'll be moving back within a couple of months! SO excited! St. Louis is everything I'm looking for in a city- it has culture, the arts, restaurants of every description, easy interstate access, a vibrant and eclectic mix of neighborhoods and municipalities, amazing architecture, urban decay, grit, and above all- mega affordability!

So even though St. Louis essentially chose me in the first place (I'd never visited prior to initially moving), I'm choosing to go back to it

To the OP: My 'psychological angle' when choosing a city would be to weigh out my options primarily from a cost point of view. To me, a low cost of living is paramount- but I don't want to have to forsake the finer things in life either. To me it really was just a matter of deduction between the cities I was interested in. Honestly, it wasn't a hard choice... at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.