U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times

Advertisements

I've worked in plenty of military towns and Hawaii plates are there. Not sure what the reason is, but you do see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM

27 posts, read 34,766 times
New Hampshire sees mostly Mass. plates and during the summer, Quebec plates are everywhere.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,185,659 times
Given the sheer number of transplants here I tend to see alot of different license plates but the most common seem to be Louisiana, California, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Florida. There are also alot of Mexican license plates here as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,088,014 times
The two most common are Wyoming and Utah. We're right on the Idaho/Wyoming border, plus there's a town in Wyoming that you can only access from Idaho (unless you hike over the mountains). A lot of the tourists fly into SLC and drive here, so there are lots of rental cars with Utah plates. We also see a lot of Alaska, California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Montana.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
why is Quebec more noticeable in Miami more then the other new England states, or east coast states?

does it have something to do with Haitians?
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Haitians. There aren't many Haitians in Sunny Isles. I think it's because of the cold Canadian winters and the population of Quebec vs. the various New England states. That said, I didn't really see any Massachusetts license plates (maybe one or two), but I have met people from Boston who flew down. I'm not sure if the Canadians were just more willing to make a road trip or stay for an extended period of time.

Another possibility: The New England snowbirds tend to live in Florida (have their license plate there) and commute back up north. That's what my grandfather did because he'd much rather pay Florida taxes than Massachusetts taxes. Also, there are some hotels in Sunny Isles that aggressively promote themselves to French Canadians.

Now, I'm back home in Delaware. The most common license plates where I am are New Jersey (by far), Maryland, and PA to a lesser extent.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,859,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, to be quite honest that video was made in an exceptional, record winter. It's not always like that.

Note that snow tires are mandatory in Quebec from Dec. 15- Mar. 15, but AWD is not.
yea the thing with me is that im always in canada in the summer. never winter lol.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,123,398 times
Phoenix:

California
Nevada
Texas
Sonora (Mexico)
Colorado
Washington
New Mexico
Utah
Illinois

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
NY, NJ, PA, & FL are by far the most common, followed by CT, DE, MD, VA, NC, & VT. ON is the most common Canadian plate.

None of the Lower 48 license plates are that rare, I even see Hawaii's from time to time. I think the only license plates I haven't seen yet in NYC are Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon, & British Columbia.
wow a Hawaii plate in nyc? never heard of it lol.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I've seen Texas a few times.
yea i have seen texas a few also. in fact i have seen texas more then nevada, and washington state.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:47 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,202,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Oh I don't know...maybe because you can't drive from Hawaii to the continental United States?
Not to unusual to get your personally owned vehicle (pov) shipped
to your next duty station - wherever it may be. I had my VW
Rabbit (at the time) shipped from the States to Italy. Sometimes
when you're married, you don't always get the barracks on base
or even base housing. There's waiting lists to get that and could
be a long wait. Also base housing and where you work can be
quite a distance apart. Work schedules aren't always a
9am - 5pm kind of thing either. You might get off at 11pm
but not make it to a transit stop that operates in the later
evening hours. You could also get called in to work at 2
in the morning.

I had to drive my car from PA to Baltimore for shipping it out
and at the time my Mom and Grandpa gave me a ride back
in their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.