U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,481,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I live somewhat deep in Long Island, NY. From most frequently to not as frequent (1 being most frequent):

1. New Jersey
2. Florida
3. Connecticut
4. Pennsylvania
5. Georgia

I also see Ontario, Vermont, Massachussetts plates every now and then but not as much as the above five.
Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,849,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How do you guys keep count? when im in manhattan i practically see every plate from USA and Canada lol
well i keep count of California plates because i barely see them. Im always curious to know if they drove their car to nyc, or prolly sent it here, or if its a rental. hmmmm

Because my mom had a rental with rhode island plates.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM

52 posts, read 80,906 times
Out here in California where Im at the most common I see are:

1.Nevada
2.Oregon
3.Washington State
4.Utah once in a while
5.Suprisingly egnough Ive seen a few Tennessee plates out here.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM

124 posts, read 207,065 times
In Salt Lake I see mainly western states but I see other states as well.
1. Idaho
2. California
3. Wyoming
4. Nevada
5. Colorado

Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM

399 posts, read 294,946 times
Well, here in Bucks county, PA, I see a ton of New Jersey and New York plates, with even some Connecticut once in awhile. Interestingly enough, though, I see hardly any Delaware or Maryland plates around here, even though we're closer to both those states than to New York.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM

115 posts, read 160,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Oregon, Alaska, British Columbia, and Idaho in that order. I see Idaho and BC plates more east of the cascades though, than I do west, as well as more Montana plates.
In Seattle, I see relatively few British Columbia plates, far fewer than Oregon, which is farther away. Of course the international border has something to do with that. I also see few Idaho plates also, I think fewer than Montana. Hardly ever see Alaska plates, but do see more California and even Nevada plates. Altogether, I think 75% of out of state plates seen in Seattle are Oregon. Now, a certain percentage of those are former Oregon residents living in the Seattle area who, for monetary reasons, do not switch to Washington plates.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM

983 posts, read 1,428,357 times
Living in South Dakota, it is definitely Minnesota during the summer. They're everywhere!!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:54 AM

5 posts, read 9,087 times
I live in Raleigh NC and i see ALOT of Virginia and Georgia plates. followed closely by florida, south carolina, and Maryland. There are also alot of New York plates.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times
Front Range of Colorado:

Texas
New Mexico
Kansas
Arizona
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Missouri
Oklahoma
California (but fewer than one might expect)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,331,160 times
Wisconsin - Wisconsin is across the bridge, so that's a no-brainer.
Ontario - LOTS of Ontario plates. It seems that every Christmas every other car on the freeway has one of these. The fact is that shopping is much cheaper in Minnesota than in Ontario, so the entire population (it seems) of Thunder Bay-ites come here to shop at chain stores and eat at chain restaurants and stay at motel chains in December. Some go further to Minneapolis, which boasts of a much better selection than Duluth.
Michigan - The western U.P. is part of the Duluth medical/media/commerical/etc. "market", so you see a lot of Michigan plates. Think Duluth is isolated and has nothing, go to Ironwood.
Illinois / Iowa / North Dakota
South Dakota
Arizona / Florida / Texas - Snowbirds, expats, and those seeking to escape the summer heat

I've seen almost at least one plate from almost every state and province here, including Hawaii, Alaska (several times, Duluth seems a popular destination for Alaskans), Yukon, D.C., and NWT. Interestingly, long-distance travel by car and motorhome to Duluth seems like it used to be more popular 10 years ago than it is today, while at the same time you see a more diverse spectrum of visitors to Duluth's popular Canal Park district, including many (presumably) Mexican immigrants speaking Spanish. I have not seen a single Mexican plate in Duluth although I have seen a UNAM bus in suburban Minneapolis and a pickup truck which I believe was from Coahuila near Sioux Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.