Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,541,445 times

Advertisements

In SE Michigan, it's typically Ohio, and Illinois, yet surprisingly not a whole lot of Indiana. We also have a lot of Ontario, unsurprisingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
In SE Michigan, it's typically Ohio, and Illinois, yet surprisingly not a whole lot of Indiana. We also have a lot of Ontario, unsurprisingly.
It's kind of weird, but I'm in the Lansing area of MI, and we see quite a few Indiana plates - not quite as many as Ohio and probably slightly fewer than Illinois, but a fair number nonetheless. We don't get as many Ontario plates. I guess being a little further west makes a difference. I'd probably put Wisconsin in 4th place.

Otherwise, we'll see the occasional not ridiculously far away states with moderate to large populations (PA, NY, NJ, MN, KY, TN, maybe an occasional one from IA, WV, MO, MD, or GA.) Florida is surprisingly common due to snowbirds. You'll see CA and TX plates just because there are so many people from there, but I think most of those are university students.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM

309 posts, read 302,839 times
Here in the KC area, in addition to Missouri & Kansas, the top 5 I see are

Nebraska/KS counties outside Metro KC
Iowa
Illinois
Arkansas
Oklahoma

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times
I live 250 miles from the nearest point in another state (Vinton, Louisiana), and we don't get any snowbirds here, and the main highway passes a few miles out of town, so I sometimes go a day or two without seeing any out of state plates at all, except a couple that I see every day in my apartment parking lot.

There are a lot of oil field workers finding jobs here, so I see Oklahoma and Louisiana once in a while, but maybe Tamaulipas and Coahuila just as often.

I saw a California last week, and it struck me that it had probably been about a year or two since I'd seen one of those. I don't remember ever seeing a New York plate here, but we get a few Floridas and Illinois and Arizonas.. I saw a Yukon a couple of years ago.

This is not a place that a lot of travelers go to or pass through.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,052,511 times
In Chicago there are a ton of Indiana and Michigan. Followed by Iowa and Wisconsin.

Then a lot of random Penn, Ohio, New York, California and Missouri.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,329,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
In Chicago there are a ton of Indiana and Michigan. Followed by Iowa and Wisconsin.

Then a lot of random Penn, Ohio, New York, California and Missouri.
I would guess the way NYC is filled with jersey and ct plates would be the same with Chicago only except ct and nj it would be Wisconsin and Indiana.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

308 posts, read 753,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I would guess the way NYC is filled with jersey and ct plates would be the same with Chicago only except ct and nj it would be Wisconsin and Indiana.
Absolutely true. I live on the North side of Chicago, and when would guess that maybe 1/3 of the cars parked on my street have out - of - state plates. Most are from Wisconsin and Indiana but also a ton from Ohio and Michigan.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,847,193 times
In no particular order

NYC:
-NJ
-PA
-CT
-FL
-MA
-CA
-IL
-OH

Philly:
-NJ
-DE
-VA
-MD
-NY
-FL
-OH

Pittsburgh:
-NY
-NJ
-OH
-FL
-MD
-VA
-WV
-IL
-CA
-TX
-ON
-MA

Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,350,944 times
Since I've lived in both Northern and Southern California, here you go for California generally speaking:

1) Nevada (everywhere, very common)
2) Arizona (more common in Southern than Northern)
3) Washington (more common in Northern than Southern)
4) Oregon (more common in Northern than Southern)
5) Texas (more common in Southern than Northern)

However, you can see a every single state (even Hawaii and Alaska), plus a lot of Canadian plates (mostly British Columbia) and Mexico plates (nearly all from Baja California), but the top 5 are the ones that can be seen the most. You'll notice a lot of Arizona plates more in the Summer, a lot more Washington/Oregon during the Winter, making a lot of this seasonally based.

Oddly enough, this summer I've noticed a lot of NY/NJ plates for some reason. Seemed to be the most common after the first three this time around.

I think every Western state will have California somewhere on the top of their list. God knows I contributed to it this past week (went to OR/WA).

Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
I'm at the very northwest tip of the FL panhandle, there's definitely LOTS of Atlanta people that come through here (DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb). Louisiana plates are fairly common too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.