Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM

192 posts, read 411,823 times

Advertisements

In cleveland, I see alot of Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois plates. Hell, one time I was on the freeway, and I did not see ONE ohio plate. It was all Penn or NY. And I must add this, I was just in Reno a couple weeks ago. At least half of the plates were California, and in the parking garage of the Circus Circus, all the plates were California. There was maybe about 3 Nevada plates that I spotted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
It's kind of weird, but I'm in the Lansing area of MI, and we see quite a few Indiana plates - not quite as many as Ohio and probably slightly fewer than Illinois, but a fair number nonetheless. We don't get as many Ontario plates. I guess being a little further west makes a difference. I'd probably put Wisconsin in 4th place.

Otherwise, we'll see the occasional not ridiculously far away states with moderate to large populations (PA, NY, NJ, MN, KY, TN, maybe an occasional one from IA, WV, MO, MD, or GA.) Florida is surprisingly common due to snowbirds. You'll see CA and TX plates just because there are so many people from there, but I think most of those are university students.
Canadians like to shop in Metro Detroit because the sales taxes are lower than in Canada. I wouldn't know any exact numbers, but I'd say like 1/12 of the Detroit economy is supported by Canadians. Especially during Canadian holidays. I wouldn't expect them to travel any father into Michigan other than sightseeing.

I've also thought it was weird seeing many Texas, Florida, and NY plates as well. I always assumed it to be relatives or something.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
Rhode Island. Of course it is only 5 minutes thataway! New Hampshires too.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
I'm in a college town, so I see all 50, plus some provinces and the occasional from one of the states in Mexico. Alaska is a rarity however - only a few of those riding around town. Lots of GA, SC, TN, VA, a fair amount of NY, and a fair amount of CA as well - some kind of Silicon Valley/RTP connection I'm guessing.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Charleston area:

1. Georgia (I've seen the vast majority of the 159 county plates)
2. Ohio (and growing)
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. Kentucky
6. New York
7. Tennessee
8. New Jersey
9. Virginia
10. Mississippi (I've seen more and more from there)

I've seen all but about 10 of the states here. You see a surprising number of IA plates, and you don't see many LA plates. The only Canadian plates I've seen are Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Here in Michigan there are the obvious that have been mentioned. Ohio, Indiana, Illinios, Wisconsin and Ontario, as would be expected. However we also see alot of plates from the states that Michigan people have moved to during the economic disaster of the last few years. Those would be Florida, Tennesse (lots of these), North Carolina and Texas. We usually only see them in the summer months for obvious reasons.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
In Western Washington, I see A LOT of British Columbia, Canada license plates along with Oregon, California, and Idaho(In that order).

Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Hawaii? What?
Why is that so hard to believe? I lived near a military base in TN and I used to see Hawaii plates a couple times a year

Anyway, here in Memphis we see
Mississippi (the most by far)
Arkansas
Missouri
Alabama
Kentucky

Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
We live close to Major U.S. interstates and see plates from alot of places.

Most common to my observation.
Michigan
Indiana
WI

Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
its always interesting when i see a california plate in nyc. you rarely see west coast platers so its pretty cool.

as for west coast plates in nyc i have seen california a few times, nevada once, and washington state once as well.
I've seen Texas a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.