Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Baltimore seems like a good spot. Interesting but cheap sounds like good draws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
New Orleans.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
Cleveland is seeing a nice boom
I agree regarding Cleveland, as well as Oklahoma City and Omaha. In terms of more "traditional" big cities I think Boston is right up there with DC in terms of jobs and growth, especially given their current similarly low unemployment rates of 5.7%-5.8%.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
The Dallas/Fort Worth area seems like a hot spot now. The economy there is supposedly strong and continuing to grow. I visited last year; and saw plenty of stuff along the roads being built. It's affordable with a good mix of families and younger people.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
In your opinion where's the next hot spot or boom town for young folks, college grads?
Well, below is one list that was compiled recently. As far as the next spot... who knows, aside from what's already below.

10 Best Cities for New College Grads and Young Professionals | InvestorPlace
Boston, Mass.
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.
Seattle, Wash.
Houston, Tex.
Baltimore, Md.
Dallas, Tex.
Kansas City, Mo.
Raleigh/Durham, N.C.
Washington, D.C. metro
Austin, Tex.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pittsburgh. The swelling white-collar job market and dirt-cheap (for now) real estate is a solid combination for fresh grads.

Get in on the ground floor while you can. The price run-up has already started in the East End and South Side Flats/Slopes.

This one makes sense to me, I can see this happening. The problems of the 70s are long over in Pittsburg.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I recently read a blog by an urban studies guru who said that the vibe in Pittsburgh today reminds him of the vibe in Seattle in the 1980's. In other words, Pittsburgh is beginning to accelerate away from the calamities in its past. The general attitude is more youthful, upbeat, innovative and progressive than before, and most of the socioeconomic trends have become highly positive. I don't know that Pittsburgh will produce a company as large or as influential as Microsoft, or put its signature on rock music the way Seattle has, but I do agree that the vibe in Pittsburgh has become markedly more positive in recent years.

Aside from Pittsburgh, I believe that Nashville has a rising star. If Pittsburgh is "the next Seattle," then Nashville is "the next Austin." Baltimore should get better too, although I think the city has some deep-seated socioeconomic problems that need to be corrected. Being located in the megalopolitan Northeast/Mid-Atlantic might help changes come faster, though. I believe that Cleveland's decade is the 2020's. They hit rock bottom just a few years ago, and they've started laying the groundwork this decade just like Pittsburgh did last decade. They still need some more time. In general, I believe the "Rust Belt" will heal from east to west.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
I think Nashville is one of the next hot spots. It has a fun vibe and unique identity with all the music (not just country). It has a surprisingly diverse economy (healthcare, automotive manufacturing, and publishing are all big), and it has a lower crime rate than many of the other popular southern cities (like Atlanta and New Orleans).

Southerners like it in part b/c of the country music scene. It isn't quite as popular with Northerners, but I think many of them would be willing to give it a shot b/c it is southern, but not deep south which they sometimes find too intimidating.

If I were going to move, Nashville would be one of my top choices.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
Raleigh, for a while now, and that will continue.

Richmond VA, which is the greatest mix of North and South that you will find - a totally organic blend of the best of both, with a very vibrant creative community, and - in parts of the city - architecture to die for. In the early-to-mid 1990s, Richmond was known for blight and very, very high crime rates, and the city has made some phenomenal leaps forward in re-inventing itself, and revitalizing itself. The combo of state government, proximity to Washington, some good universities, and a few significant corporate presences make it a nice, balanced economy, which is far from perfect but does have a diverse lot to offer. As one of the string of East Coast MSAs that stretch from Atlanta to Boston, Richmond is the one with some of the slowest, but most steady growth - it hasn't exploded like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh or DC, but that gives it a bit of an edge - no real boom-bust cycles at this point, and it's big enough to offer a lot socially and recreationally, while remaining JUST small enough to keep from being overwhelming, or from falling behind in infrastructure.

Keep an eye on some of the larger academic towns: Madison WI, Ann Arbor MI, Athens GA, Charlottesville and Blacksburg VA, Greenville NC. Some of them have very respectable growth rates (Greenville NC has surged to become #10 in North Carolina, and is the fastest growing area after Charlotte and Raleigh), and - due to academics and start-ups spun out of academia into the private sector - are a slight bit more recession-proof than other cities. They also boast an abundance of young professionals, and many of them are close enough to a big city to offer that as an outlet, while remaining distant enough that they also offer some smaller-town charm, lower crime rates, good schools, and a fairly eclectic population.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Raleigh, for a while now, and that will continue.

Richmond VA, which is the greatest mix of North and South that you will find - a totally organic blend of the best of both, with a very vibrant creative community, and - in parts of the city - architecture to die for. In the early-to-mid 1990s, Richmond was known for blight and very, very high crime rates, and the city has made some phenomenal leaps forward in re-inventing itself, and revitalizing itself. The combo of state government, proximity to Washington, some good universities, and a few significant corporate presences make it a nice, balanced economy, which is far from perfect but does have a diverse lot to offer. As one of the string of East Coast MSAs that stretch from Atlanta to Boston, Richmond is the one with some of the slowest, but most steady growth - it hasn't exploded like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh or DC, but that gives it a bit of an edge - no real boom-bust cycles at this point, and it's big enough to offer a lot socially and recreationally, while remaining JUST small enough to keep from being overwhelming, or from falling behind in infrastructure.

Keep an eye on some of the larger academic towns: Madison WI, Ann Arbor MI, Athens GA, Charlottesville and Blacksburg VA, Greenville NC. Some of them have very respectable growth rates (Greenville NC has surged to become #10 in North Carolina, and is the fastest growing area after Charlotte and Raleigh), and - due to academics and start-ups spun out of academia into the private sector - are a slight bit more recession-proof than other cities. They also boast an abundance of young professionals, and many of them are close enough to a big city to offer that as an outlet, while remaining distant enough that they also offer some smaller-town charm, lower crime rates, good schools, and a fairly eclectic population.
Agree, and would add oft-overlooked Columbia, SC to the mix. As South Carolina's state capital and home to the University of South Carolina along with a heavily invested/redeveloping downtown area it has the infrastructure in place to take off and grow, especially if it's political environment continues to moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.