U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

56,612 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting article that gets into this subject: Do Millennials Want to Call Your City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,972,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Chicago's had an epic summer this year, moreso than almost any other city!

I don't think any/many from the Midwest are not sick and tired of the heat and humidity this year and are very much looking forward to fall and even winter -- I know I am!!
It wasn't too bad and this is coming from somebody who didn't have AC for the entire summer. Your body adapts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I have no sympathy for anybody from the Midwest.
We think the same thing when southerners complain about sub freezing (<32 F) temperatures...

I think Denver is going to be the next hip place to be...

Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It wasn't too bad and this is coming from somebody who didn't have AC for the entire summer. Your body adapts.

We think the same thing when southerners complain about sub freezing (<32 F) temperatures...

I think Denver is going to be the next hip place to be...
Denver is already "hip".....WAY past that point if you ask me (and Seattle)!

Most Chicagoans (and Minnesotans and Clevelanders) I know all thought last summer was fairly brutal, but it sounds like you handled it fine. I did too, but I realize it was one of the hottest summers on record and in Chicago's case, was THE hottest summer on record -- so we'll call that "bad" for the sake of argument for those who don't love high heat. HOWEVER, I did hear that since Chicagoland was in a drought most of the summer humidity wasn't as much of an issue. Minneapolis, on the other hand, had tons of rain for most of the summer and was oppressively humid according to most of my friends, with very high heat indices.

It's summers like these that make many Upper Midwesterners like myself wonder how people in the South do it.....but I can totally understand how people in the South would feel about our Winters too!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Maybe Americans Aren't Moving Because They Don't Need To - Housing - The Atlantic Cities#

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Denver is already "hip".....WAY past that point if you ask me (and Seattle)!

Most Chicagoans (and Minnesotans and Clevelanders) I know all thought last summer was fairly brutal, but it sounds like you handled it fine. I did too, but I realize it was one of the hottest summers on record and in Chicago's case, was THE hottest summer on record -- so we'll call that "bad" for the sake of argument for those who don't love high heat. HOWEVER, I did hear that since Chicagoland was in a drought most of the summer humidity wasn't as much of an issue. Minneapolis, on the other hand, had tons of rain for most of the summer and was oppressively humid according to most of my friends, with very high heat indices.
Trust me, it was plenty humid this summer. In fact that was one of the great frustrations about this past summer: the humidity never did seem to reach a point where it would just plain rain and bring some relief, but it was ever-present and ever-sweltering.

There was a day in late May when it hit 98 degrees but it was only 23% humidity. If it had been like that all summer, it would have been a lot more tolerable.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,184,709 times
Philadelphia is emerging as an alternative to NYC and the city as a whole actually gained population according to the last census. I expect Baltimore to be the next hot spot as well although the city still needs to work out it's various issues.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM

630 posts, read 840,910 times
Pittsburgh and Austin

Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,262,218 times
Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Philly
It has all the elements in place already and is waiting to explode to be the next hipster-then-yuppie enclave.

I also think Cleveland is very underrated. It will probably expand to some extent for no other reason than the health care boom of the next 10-20 years.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
In your opinion where's the next hot spot or boom town for young folks, college grads?

In the early 90's we saw Seattle then Austin take off. Seems like everyone I knew moved to Phoenix in the mid 90's. Then Atlanta. In the 2000's Brooklyn was the place to be. I'm sure I've forgot a few places..Vegas was hot for a minute, Portland Oregon too.

Have we have cycled back to Seattle again? Austin still seems hot. Places like NYC, Boston, Chicago will always be a draw.

So what do you think?
Anywhere with a high hipster population. Austin, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Boston is where you want to be if you are young. Minneapolis and Denver also get an honorable mention. For smaller cities, Boulder and Asheville NC are where it's at.

Young people on the other hand are fleeing cities like Memphis, Jacksonville FL, Greensboro/Winston-Salem NC, Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Omaha. You can really feel the brain drain in most of these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.