U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you have lots of money and are able to are willing to compete for the few jobs available unless you have some unusual skills to offer you may be okay in Portland. Hipsters have it pretty tough here.

In my once lower middle income blue collar nighborhood now one of the trendiest in the city, they often crowd into apartments to share high rents and work at whatever they can find. My nice landlord owns several apartment buildings for a couple of blocks. He allowed this overcrowding until it got to the point of craziness. Finally he had to put his foot down on the amount of adults allowed to live in a one bedroom or studio apartment. It's happening all over Portland.

The nice hipster guy next store spent about three months living in North Dakota where some kind of jobs are plentiful at high salaries leaving his girl friend just to get work. He returned and is once again looking for a job in Portland. But they are talking about returning to Michigan because it's been so difficult for them here. She had been able to get part time baby sitting jobs.

If you go where everyone else wants to go, it's going to be tough going. The trick is to find the next hot spot before everyone else does and be the first so you won't have to struggle.
It's like this in Seattle and Austin too, yet people can't seem to stop moving to them. There are a lot of other cities with better job opportunities and a lower cost of living, yet seemingly people can't help themselves. Including those who keep recommending those same cities over and over again here on City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,936,614 times
The Phoenix/Scottsdale area is on the come up!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM

178 posts, read 350,459 times
Tulsa. The area has experienced continuous growth, esp. in the downtown area, interesting neighborhoods, great shopping and music scene.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,992,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
San Antonio is a GREAT city. I love the canal! But it believe its too Hispanic. If you know what I mean. I'm not rasist at all. But the air there seems Mexican, lol, I can't explain it. I love the city tho. Really beuitiful. And a little too suberbin. Mexican restaurant every corner. NO LIE!
Well El Paso is even more Latino than San Antonio and it still has a hipster scene. I don't think that being Latino has to do with it because hipsters can be black, Latino, or Asian. There are hipsters everywhere and I what I find in cities that have "minority-majority" populations is that you see the youth take on the same characteristics as any other anywhere else. I understand what you are saying though because a lot of cities with large hipster concentrations (Austin, Portland, Seattle, even smaller cities like Asheville) are very white, however, I don't see that as a reason to why other less white cities can't become more hipsterish. Especially as these cities grow, you are just going to see different types of people in them and the cultures that get established in them will be varied and inevitable. Just my $0.02.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,058,997 times
Portland, Seattle, and Austin are the current hot spots.

I think the rising stars right now are Minneapolis/St Paul and Louisville.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,122,438 times
A year later and it looks like the people that answered with Pittsburgh might have been on to something. I keep seeing positive articles and blurbs about Pittsburgh.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM

9,447 posts, read 18,363,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Albuquerque,NM

It's really poised to be the next hot spot.
It's got everything....

Climate
Mountains
River
UNM
Food
Style
Recreation
Yes, I saw a lot of potential and appeal in Albuquerque with a great climate, interesting cultures, and abundance of outdoor recreation and I was intrigued by it so much I relocated here and I do enjoy this place. I thought it may potentially be the next discovered boomtown in the West. For better or worse shows like Breaking Bad have given the city more notoriety.

The biggest problem I see hindering growth potential here and making this place more attractive are that education standards here in Albuquerque and especially the state of New Mexico are very low. That also hinders job growth here as well, I can't see any large prosperous companies locating here for quite some time until this state gets its act together on the education front. The well paying jobs that do exist here are heavily reliant of the federal government. There is not a whole lot of private entrepreneurial investment and construction and real estate is pretty slow and stagnant here at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
A year later and it looks like the people that answered with Pittsburgh might have been on to something. I keep seeing positive articles and blurbs about Pittsburgh.
One thing Pittsburgh has been able to sustain through good times and bad are good educational opportunites. That and it's a nice looking city with a good urban fabric that young people are attracted to and it's still affordable.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-18-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 07:45 PM

66 posts, read 97,927 times
Louisville is getting ready to boom.

Of course Portland, Seattle, and Austin are the hotspots now but this thread is about what is next. Louisville is very hip, very modern, people just don't realize it yet. I think the word is starting to get out though.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,122,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One thing Pittsburgh has been able to sustain through good times and bad are good educational opportunites. That and it's a nice looking city with a good urban fabric that young people are attracted to and it's still affordable.

That's basically what I've been reading. A ton of universities that employ a ton of people and a young, educated population.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM

9,447 posts, read 18,363,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Louisville is getting ready to boom.

Of course Portland, Seattle, and Austin are the hotspots now but this thread is about what is next. Louisville is very hip, very modern, people just don't realize it yet. I think the word is starting to get out though.
I had no idea honestly. What's booming and hip in Louisville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.