U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Have you ruled out Atlanta or New Orleans?
Yes. Atlanta is a bit too black for my tastes, and the traffic is terrible. New Orleans is too exotic for me, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester and maybe even Buffalo NY fits most of that criteria. I added Buffalo due to having its share of bank/financial jobs. Both have their good and not so good urban neighborhoods, but the suburbs in both are overwhelmingly safe. Actually, Upstate NY metros in general are some of the safest in the country. Both have affordable housing and have their Italian communities. If you want more information, just let me know. Here's some information to view: Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Central New York Jobs
https://www.firstniagara.com/About_U...s/Careers.aspx
HSBC jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile
m&t jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Sorrento Cheese Buffalo Italian Heritage Festival
Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Home

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide
Here's a similar website I found about Buffalo: BufWiki - The Peoples Gude to Buffalo

and more information: Accounting Finance Jobs, Employment in Rochester, NY | Indeed.com

Financial Analyst Jobs, Employment in Rochester, NY | Indeed.com

Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Buffalo does sound interesting. I'll take a closer look at that one.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That does sound great so far. But do you think as an Italian guy, I would stick out like a sore thumb? I passed through Indiana recently and noticed that almost everyone had blonde hair lol. What's up with that?
No there is an Italian Scene in Indianapolis.
heck in downtown there are quite a few good italian resturants.
and if your worried about not fitting in you dont need too Indianapolis is VERY welcoming to transplants.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM

32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Portland, Oregon

Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Buffalo does sound interesting. I'll take a closer look at that one.
If you want a happy medium, look into North Buffalo around Hertel Avenue or nearby Kenmore. If you consider Rochester, perhaps the Southeastern Quarter of the city or Brighton. Places like Gates, East Rochester, Greece, Kenmore, parts of the town of Tonawanda and a few others, area communities between the two areas with notable Italian populations.

Allentown in Buffalo and around Neighborhood of the Arts in Rochester are known as areas with a concentration of same sex households or are viewed as Gayborhoods.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-14-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want a happy medium, look into North Buffalo around Hertel Avenue or nearby Kenmore. If you consider Rochester, perhaps the Southeastern Quarter of the city or Brighton. Places like Gates, East Rochester, Greece, Kenmore, parts of the town of Tonawanda and a few others, area communities between the two areas with notable Italian populations.

Allentown in Buffalo and around Neighborhood of the Arts in Rochester are known as areas with a concentration of same sex households or are viewed as Gayborhoods.

*Disclaimer* New York state in general has VERY high taxes. especially Property taxes and most of NY state outside of New York City is not in good economic shape and is still recovering from the Rust Belt years.

Heck even NYC isnt that great off. Unemployment has been rising in the empire state and NYC status as the financial capital is there however the middle class is being driven away due to the insane Cost of living and tax/nanny state structure in the city.

Dont get me wrong NYC would be a great place to VISIT but not live in.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
*Disclaimer* New York state in general has VERY high taxes. especially Property taxes and most of NY state outside of New York City is not in good economic shape and is still recovering from the Rust Belt years.

Heck even NYC isnt that great off. Unemployment has been rising in the empire state and NYC status as the financial capital is there however the middle class is being driven away due to the insane Cost of living and tax/nanny state structure in the city.

Dont get me wrong NYC would be a great place to VISIT but not live in.
Actually, overall housing costs in Upstate NY are on par with much of the South, even when factoring in taxes. Actually the same goes for overall COL in Upstate NY as well.

Also, the economy will depend on what you can do for work and I posted openings for the industry the OP is looking for. Upstate NY isn't just full of factories and farms, as there are plenty of colleges and some white collar jobs up here as well. Unemployment rates in many of the Upstate metros are at or below the national rate.

I don't know how NYC got involved in this, when it wasn't mentioned.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM

I just came across this article literally minutes ago, which has some very interesting information. The Business Journals

Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM

122 posts, read 248,394 times
Atlanta is a little too "Black"? Wow! I'm white....and was offended by that rude comment! I think the place your looking for would be Germany! Verdammter Narr!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.