U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM

342 posts, read 483,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Another one I thought of -- in case it hasn't been mentioned before -- is Missouri and Kansas. I believe they have animosities that date back to the days of the War Between the States. There were so-called "Border Wars" fought between the Missourians and Kansans. (Missouri had strong Southern sympathies and Kansas was firmly pro-Union).

I have never really spent much time in Missouri, but my ex-wife was from Kansas, and I used to visit up there quite a bit. It was never really overt, but when things like this would come up, I always detected, among natives, a certain disdain for Missouri.

I would be interested in your take on this one, StLouisian...
well for the most part they don't really have much in common, other than the fact that missouri's largest city is on the border with Kansas and is also named after Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Another one I thought of -- in case it hasn't been mentioned before -- is Missouri and Kansas. I believe they have animosities that date back to the days of the War Between the States. There were so-called "Border Wars" fought between the Missourians and Kansans. (Missouri had strong Southern sympathies and Kansas was firmly pro-Union).

I have never really spent much time in Missouri, but my ex-wife was from Kansas, and I used to visit up there quite a bit. It was never really overt, but when things like this would come up, I always detected, among natives, a certain disdain for Missouri.

I would be interested in your take on this one, StLouisian...
I'm from Southeast Missouri. I can say from experience that not too many people born and raised here think about Kansas at all, unless they are Mizzou fans and we are playing them. It is over 6 hours away after all. It is a shorter drive to Jackson, Mississippi than the closest point in Kansas

However, I would think that the two have some decently strong ties because of the KC Metro area. The only two bordering states that I feel that Missouri isn't connected to hardly at all are Tennessee and Nebraska. (And maybe Oklahoma, not sure about this one.). Even Caruthersville doesn't seem very tied to Tennessee and it is basically right across the river with a bridge connection. With that being said, you could drop Caruthersville in eastern Arkansas or western Mississippi and it would feel right at home.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm from Southeast Missouri. I can say from experience that not too many people born and raised here think about Kansas at all, unless they are Mizzou fans and we are playing them. It is over 6 hours away after all. It is a shorter drive to Jackson, Mississippi than the closest point in Kansas

However, I would think that the two have some decently strong ties because of the KC Metro area. The only two bordering states that I feel that Missouri isn't connected to hardly at all are Tennessee and Nebraska. (And maybe Oklahoma, not sure about this one.)
Actually alot of communities in southwest Missouri are more connected to OK. than they are to the rest of the state. this is because of the fact that the nearest real city is Tulsa OK.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Actually alot of communities in southwest Missouri are more connected to OK. than they are to the rest of the state. this is because of the fact that the nearest real city is Tulsa OK.
I could see that. That's why I said I wasn't sure.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Does Missouri have strong ties to Illinois because of St. Louis or am I misinformed?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Does Missouri have strong ties to Illinois because of St. Louis or am I misinformed?
Yeah it has pretty strong ties to Illinois. There is more to it than St. Louis though. The Illinois side of the river near where I am from (Cape Girardeau area) has ties to far southern Illinois primarily because the Illinois side is in pretty bad shape economically, so most people travel to Missouri to buy groceries, gas, etc...

Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Quote:
well for the most part they don't really have much in common, other than the fact that missouri's largest city is on the border with Kansas and is also named after Kansas
*chucking in amusement* Something I thought of -- when you mentioned that -- is that it seems as if some Kansans kinda claim it as their own...even though, as you allude to, the bulk of Kansas City is on the Missouri side! They call the main part "Kansas City, MOE". LOL

But actually -- and this would sometime get me into trouble (or at least a friendly debate) in Kansas was their referring to the "Arkansas River" as the "Ar-KANSAS" river. I found this one out early on. First trip me and my ex took up there to visit her family, I saw a sign and mentioned in passing to her, something along the lines of "I didn't know the "Ar-kin-saw" River ran thru here. She replied "Just to let you know, people up here say it different and are adament about it."

Well, fine...but I wasn't going to go THAT far to be accomodating! A little tact if the issue came up? Sure. But not in the least repudiating my native Texas/Southern pronunciations!

BTW -- don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the state of Kansas at all. Matter of fact, I always enjoyed my time up there and met nothing but hospitable and good down-home Midwestern people during the stays.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,832 times
Quote:

However, I would think that the two have some decently strong ties because of the KC Metro area. The only two bordering states that I feel that Missouri isn't connected to hardly at all are Tennessee and Nebraska. (And maybe Oklahoma, not sure about this one.). Even Caruthersville doesn't seem very tied to Tennessee and it is basically right across the river with a bridge connection. With that being said, you could drop Caruthersville in eastern Arkansas or western Mississippi and it would feel right at home.
I would say that Northwest Missouri, west central Missouri, and Eastern Nebraska have a lot in common. Kansas City and Omaha in particular are very alike. As far as Missouri and Kansas go, the only differences between them now are largely historic. The "border war" sentiment is essentially what I would call a "joking rivalry"...it's not even close to being the kind of difference that existed prior to the Civil War. However, SEMO I agree has very little in common with Kansas. Both are more alike today than different. Western Missouri is very connected to Kansas.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. Both have similar culture and similar linguistic patterns.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah it has pretty strong ties to Illinois. There is more to it than St. Louis though. The Illinois side of the river near where I am from (Cape Girardeau area) has ties to far southern Illinois primarily because the Illinois side is in pretty bad shape economically, so most people travel to Missouri to buy groceries, gas, etc...
Yeah. Also, Hannibal, Missouri is heavily tied to Quincy, Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or