U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times

Advertisements

I don't think Oklahoma is much connected to Colorado or New Mexico, which border the Oklahoma Panhandle. The Oklahoma Panhandle itself seems isolated from the rest of Oklahoma especially the major cities of Oklahoma City and Tulsa.According to Wikipedia, the Panhandle only has 0.77% of the state's population.

I don't think many people in Colorado or New Mexico really think about Oklahoma either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,900,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say that Northwest Missouri, west central Missouri, and Eastern Nebraska have a lot in common. Kansas City and Omaha in particular are very alike. As far as Missouri and Kansas go, the only differences between them now are largely historic. The "border war" sentiment is essentially what I would call a "joking rivalry"...it's not even close to being the kind of difference that existed prior to the Civil War. However, SEMO I agree has very little in common with Kansas. Both are more alike today than different. Western Missouri is very connected to Kansas.
I agree. The odd thing is about the MO/TN thing is that even though the bootheel and western Tennessee have a lot in common, they don't seem to be very connected. Caruthersville, Missouri doesn't seem very connected to Dyersburg, Tennessee even though they are only about 15 miles apart, but they are very similar towns in almost every way. Kind of odd really.

Missouri's strongest connections as a whole definitely would be Illinois or Kansas. I think Illinois would be slightly stronger but I've only lived on the eastern & central parts of the state so I'm not 100% sure on that. After that, I would say it is a toss-up between Iowa and Arkansas. The northern and southern borders of Missouri are pretty sparsely populated, so that could be pretty tricky to judge. Oklahoma seems to be pretty strongly connected to SW Missouri, and I suppose NW Missouri is pretty strongly connected to Nebraska since it appears that Omaha would be closer than Kansas City for some. MO/TN just seems to be an almost non-existent connection, even though they share a bridge connection on Interstate 155.

Parts of the Jackson Purchase region of Kentucky, far southern Illinois, and the upper Missouri bootheel form their own subregion in my opinion. They share a TV market with Cape Girardeau MO, Paducah KY, Harrisburg IL, and Murray KY each having a TV station. There are also alot of Illinois and Kentucky plates seen in Cape Girardeau, and lots of Illinois and Missouri plates seen in Paducah. The most common grouping term around here is the "tri-state region", meaning those three states. Occasionally the definition is pushed out to four or five state region. (MO, IL, KY, TN, AR)

Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
We all know about bordering states with strong ties, like New Jersey and New York, Alabama and Mississippi, California and Nevada, etc.
Do AL and MS really have strong ties? Most of AL seems to gravitate towards GA (Atlanta), and northern MS is tied to western TN (Memphis) and southern MS to southern LA (NOLA). Maybe there's a connection between Mobile, Gulfport, and Biloxi but it seems that they are all tied more to NOLA than each other.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,046,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That's solely topography you're talking about. Culturally and linguistically there is not a lot of difference between Oklahoma and Arkansas.
The southern drawls here in the Oklahoma City area aren't near as pronounced as they are in Eastern Oklahoma (Little Dixie) and Arkansas. People here talk with a twang but its more similar to the Texas accent than the one you hear in Arkansas and Tennessee. Oklahoma is difficult to place in a region because the different parts of it are so different linguistically. Culturally, the cowboy "redneck" culture here is similar but also different than the redneck culture of the Southeast. It's not uncommon to see people wearing cowboy hats here but you don't see them very often east of Fort Smith, Arkansas, which is practically the farthest eastern extent of Oklahoma and the historical Southwestern United States.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM

342 posts, read 482,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Yeah it has pretty strong ties to Illinois. There is more to it than St. Louis though. The Illinois side of the river near where I am from (Cape Girardeau area) has ties to far southern Illinois primarily because the Illinois side is in pretty bad shape economically, so most people travel to Missouri to buy groceries, gas, etc...
Ok, thank you. wasn't to sure bout that

Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,635,874 times
Tennessee and North Carolina, mountains along their entire border seems to have kept each other apart, until good roads were built through them.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Tennessee and North Carolina, mountains along their entire border seems to have kept each other apart, until good roads were built through them.
my brother actually lives in western NC (asheville) and he has alot of friends in eastern tennessee. isnt there a college football rivalry between them or something?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I was going to mention TN and NC; there's a tie via the Appalachian mountains but I don't think it's particularly strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
my brother actually lives in western NC (asheville) and he has alot of friends in eastern tennessee. isnt there a college football rivalry between them or something?
Nah. TN is all about SEC football while there's no SEC school in NC. College football is much, much less important in NC than college basketball.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 PM

ok i wasn't to sure about that. another pair of states with little connections could be Virginia and Tennessee. little do people know that they actually share a border. if they actually do have substantial ties don't be afraid to share.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM

and tennessee used to be part of north carolina. so there could be some historical ties between the two, that would probably be about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or