U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
Florida , Georgia , maybe North Florida, but not the rest.
I agree, Florida and Georgia have very little in common and aren't particularly fond of one another politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Michigan and Wisonsin?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,359,387 times
There is a stronger tie between Alabama and Florida than more would think. Most of us, at least in the Birmingham metro have vacation to one of the many beaches in NW Florida. Escambia, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties are in the Mobile/Pensacola TV market.

Also Florida tried to sell the panhandle to Alabama in 1867 to pay off Civil War debt.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I was going to bring this one up, myself! Yeah, I think are right on that. There is a sorta rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma...but -- and no offence to Oklahomans -- it is really more of the type existing between two brothers....as in little brother who has historically lived in the larger shadow of his much older one. Sort of a "family thing"....but they usually align on the same side of the creek in national matters and stick up for each other in squabbles with the yankee! LOL

Football however....welllllll...that is different! It is "Civil War" in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl each year!
On the money here, Friend!

Arkansas is in the same boat as Oklahoma....."Texas Jr." syndrome. This is due to the fact that Tejas is just so big with tons of folks and executed a great marketing ploy (the Texas Cowboy stuff) which has really stuck in the consciousness of Americans. Texas definitely gets the lion-share of national publicity in comparison to Oklahoma/Arkansas. You see it in the prevalance of the reality TV shows.....if they're in this area (Western-South/South-Central) then it's usually a show about Texans. Although I'm partial to Hillbilly Handfishin' filmed on location in Waurika, Oklahoma!

As for football, I'm guessing your Horns are going to be out for some blood after the Sooners dropped 55 on 'em last year! Texas looks like it's back in the mix and the Sooners, well I think they're looking at a year/two of rebuilding like the Horns have the last few years since McCoy left.

Either way, hoping the Sooners drop another 55 gallon of ___whoop on those Horns, but I ain't holding my breath!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,173,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Washington and Idaho. I mean overall. Eastern WA is very rural.
Washington is strongly tied to Idaho, especially the northern part. Spokane-Coeur d'Alene is the largest population center between Seattle and Minneapolis. Lewiston-Clarkston are twin cities, Newport-Oldtown has the state line in the middle of the road in the CBD, Pullman-Moscow are twin cities. Sandpoint and Sun Valley are major vacation destinations for folks from throughout Washington, especially the Seattle area.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
On the money here, Friend!

Arkansas is in the same boat as Oklahoma....."Texas Jr." syndrome. This is due to the fact that Tejas is just so big with tons of folks and executed a great marketing ploy (the Texas Cowboy stuff) which has really stuck in the consciousness of Americans. Texas definitely gets the lion-share of national publicity in comparison to Oklahoma/Arkansas. You see it in the prevalance of the reality TV shows.....if they're in this area (Western-South/South-Central) then it's usually a show about Texans. Although I'm partial to Hillbilly Handfishin' filmed on location in Waurika, Oklahoma!

As for football, I'm guessing your Horns are going to be out for some blood after the Sooners dropped 55 on 'em last year! Texas looks like it's back in the mix and the Sooners, well I think they're looking at a year/two of rebuilding like the Horns have the last few years since McCoy left.

Either way, hoping the Sooners drop another 55 gallon of ___whoop on those Horns, but I ain't holding my breath!
LOL. As is usually the case, ol' buddy, I really only get a chance to reply to posts on weekends. And I have a sorta hunch, that you at least PARTIALLY, wrote the bolded part for my benefit, right. Hell, I don't blame you, I would have (and even planned to) git' on the same theme with you!

On a related tangent, we GOTTA get together after a good "Red River Shootout" game -- and bet a catfish dinner at Bill's...across the Red River. Reckon?

Seriously, you make some excellent points..and I will give me own take on 'em a bit later. Have a good 'un, ol' buddy!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,116 times
West Virginia and Maryland-I see no resembalance
Illinois and Missouri-only ties i can think of are cardinals
West Virginia and Ohio-No ties
Indiana and Illinois-No major ties under than both have farming economies outside of their respective major cities.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,987,730 times
Oregon and California, in atttiude more than anything else. Oregon likes to kiss up to Washington like it's a mentor, but avoids cozying up with California at all costs (although in many ways they aren't nearly as different as they like to think they are). I don't think California feels connected with any of their bordering states. They're in their own world.

Many people think that California, from Redding on up, is a lot more like Oregon. I agree with that to a certain extent, but the overlap in similarities makes it interesting.

I think eastern Oregon and Idaho are very compatible. Many people don't realize that eastern Oregon is nowhere like west of the Cascades.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,360,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think California feels connected with any of their bordering states. They're in their own world.
I'm inclined to agree with this. However, to a lot of Californians, Nevada doesn't really count as another state, and is probably the state that we have the most connection to.

Arizona and Oregon, aside from the transplant connection, not so much. Difference between Nevada and AZ/OR is the SHEER amount of Californians who visit Nevada (Reno, Las Vegas, NV side of Lake Tahoe, etc.) as opposed to visiting AZ or OR.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,688,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
There is a stronger tie between Alabama and Florida than more would think. Most of us, at least in the Birmingham metro have vacation to one of the many beaches in NW Florida. Escambia, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties are in the Mobile/Pensacola TV market.

Also Florida tried to sell the panhandle to Alabama in 1867 to pay off Civil War debt.
That TV market in FWB always made me feel like I really was in Alabama. I think the western Fl panhandle is much more connected to Al than it is to the rest of Fl. Just my opinion, tho'. Regardless, it was good livin' down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or