U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:08 PM

6,865 posts, read 7,811,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Maryland and Virginia Eastern Shore is related culturally and connected economically with Delaware and each other as Delmarva. In fact Salisbury MD is known as the cross roads of Delmarva and many commute from Delaware and Virginia.
I have lived in the southernmost and northernmost counties of Delaware. While in the southern part of the state in Sussex County, I'd definitely agree that the ties between DE and MD are strong. On the other hand, in New Castle County, the state of MD is an after-thought. Instead, the ties to PA are primary.

As to the premise of this thread: Of the three states Delaware borders, it has only marginal connections with NJ. The river dividing the two states is so wide that NJ seems a world away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,966,585 times
lol @ Baltimore and Pennsylvania not having ties. I guess it depends what you mean by 'ties'.

Also, the fastest way to get from Boise to Las Vegas is indeed down the 93 through Nevada speaking as someone who's driven that route. I'd think Utah and Nevada have fewer connections, at least inasmuch as they are cultural opposites.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,362,767 times
Quote:

I also think California and Oregon are very different maybe since the part of California that borders Oregon is very isolated and California's culture is dominated by Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego.
The same is true for every other state bordering California. From Arizona, its at least 200 miles to any major populated center of California (unless one counts Coachella Valley/Imperial Valley, but then Redding and the Northern Sacramento County has to count for OR), and from Nevada, its at least 100 miles to any major populated center.

Much of Western Oregon's liberal bent, environmental awareness, and even general culture aren't too different from Northern California (which includes the Bay Area). The I-5 corridor from Portland to Sacramento are full of cars travelling between the PNW and NorCal, including the past few trips I have driven up there myself. It's not any less busy as the corridor between LA and Phoenix on I-10.

IMO, its not different than the relationship California has with Arizona. However, neither AZ nor OR have as strong of a connection to CA as Nevada does, for VERY obvious reasons.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,075,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMuscle View Post
Indiana and Michigan. We hate Michigan even more than Ohioans do! We're stronger and richer than Michigan and we always beat those losers in sports. Indiana also isn't a tundra like Michigan is!

Michigan is a beautiful state - how about Indiana? Lots of Great Lake borders?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I-24, U.S. 45 and U.S. 60 cross from Kentucky into Illinois.
It might be Kentucky and Missouri then, but there is a border somewhere around the southern tip of Illinois where Cairo is that has two states with no highway connection due to the geography there.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Dorena-Hickman Ferry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it IS Kentucky and Missouri, because the most conveneint connection goes through Cairo, Illinois at the southern tip of Illinois. So Kentucky and Missouri are the only states that border each other with no direct highway connection, only a ferry boat. I think they are also quite different with Kentucky more a Southern state and Missouri in the heartland. However, Illinois and Kentucky are also quite different, though there might be some similarities with southern Illinois, with Chicago it is very different.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,902,341 times
Quote:
Dorena-Hickman Ferry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it IS Kentucky and Missouri, because the most conveneint connection goes through Cairo, Illinois at the southern tip of Illinois. So Kentucky and Missouri are the only states that border each other with no direct highway connection, only a ferry boat. I think they are also quite different with Kentucky more a Southern state and Missouri in the heartland. However, Illinois and Kentucky are also quite different, though there might be some similarities with southern Illinois, with Chicago it is very different.
KY and MO are different, but they are tied together none the less. Lots of business is done between the Jackson Purchase and Southeast Missouri.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM

The only true connection I see between Baltimore and Pennsylvania are the commuters and suburban expansion that has reached York County, which wouldn't even have happened if Baltimore County didn't have these growth resttriction put in place by liberal Democrats several decades ago and the convenience of I-83 does make the commute more feasible. In the DC suburbs of Maryland, people feel a lot more connected to Northern Virginia and Washington DC than to Baltimore or to the rest of Maryland, just like NOVA people feel more connected to the DC area than the rest of Virginia. I think the rest of VA is very similar to North Carolina and Tennessee. Virginia has fewer connections and similarities with Kentucky, while all are Southern, Kentucky is decidedly poorer and more rural than VA, NC, or TN which all have major cities and lots of growth and prosperity. However Southwest Virginia IS similar to Kentucky but that is often a forgotten part of Virginia.

The Virginia Eastern Shore is definitely more connected to Maryland and Delaware than the rest of VA> Its only connection with mainland Virginia is the 20-mile or so Chesapeake Bay-Bridge tunnel across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, which has a $13 toll with no commuter discounts. There are some vacation homes and development across from Hampton Roads but thats about it. Virginia has fewer connections also wtih West Virginia just cause the border is mostly deep in the mountains with few connections, and West Virginia actually actively left the state of Virginia in the Civil War. I'd also have to say that the skinny northern panhandle of West Virginia identifies more with Pennsylvania (esp Pittsburgh) and Ohio than with the rest of West Virginia.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,266,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As to the premise of this thread: Of the three states Delaware borders, it has only marginal connections with NJ. The river dividing the two states is so wide that NJ seems a world away.
Isn't there a significant amount of commuter traffic between Salem Co, NJ and Wilmington?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM

With Delaware I think its more than Sussex County. I think Elkton, MD and Newark, DE are basically one town too with many people living in Maryland and shopping in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or