Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Isn't there a significant amount of commuter traffic between Salem Co, NJ and Wilmington?
Yes there is some. But as I see it, that would mean Delaware has a bigger influence on that part of NJ than vice versa. In New Castle County, the ties to PA are primary. The influence of Philadelphia media, sports and culture only intensifies that. Most rarely give a thought to NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
With Delaware I think its more than Sussex County. I think Elkton, MD and Newark, DE are basically one town too with many people living in Maryland and shopping in Delaware.
People in Elkton occasionally come to Newark. Not so much vice versa as there is not much in Elkton to draw folks from Newark there. Elkton is pretty much "out of site, out of mind."

Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
South Carolina's two bordering states, Georgia and North Carolina are a lot different depending on where you are. The Pee Dee of SC (Florence, Dillon, all those small towns around there) are basically an extension of NC.

They have the same rolling hills you have in the southern part of NC. SC and GA share a lot of ties because both have college sports which are supported all across the state. The Braves also are the baseball team most people follow all over SC.

Charleston and especially Myrtle Beach have a lot of ties with the western part of NC with all the people vacationing from there and the people that go there in the summer and fall Charlotte is the major city for almost the entire Carolinas. In Charleston, Raleigh is just another city for most.

GA and NC don't have many ties. There's no rivalry between those two states except between Atlanta and Charlotte or Raleigh, and the mountains in both states are about the only thing in common.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes there is some. But as I see it, that would mean Delaware has a bigger influence on that part of NJ than vice versa. In New Castle County, the ties to PA are primary. The influence of Philadelphia media, sports and culture only intensifies that. Most rarely give a thought to NJ.

especially the 202 corrider - PA and DE basically flow seemless in the suburbs there. From a pure population standpoint it would seem more of DE is affiliated with PA than any other state. Not sure the same holds truw the other way save parts of Delaware and Chester Counties. Probably a similar dynamic in parts of Bucks county to Mercer and even into Bridgewater NJ. Think state connections are genrally more local than wholesale if that makes sense. Probably throughout the country. Camden county NJ affiliates to PA/Philly as would a Hudson county NJ to NY etc.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a significant amount of commuter traffic between Salem Co, NJ and Wilmington?

Salem county has less than 1% of NJ residents and less than 1% of even the Philly CSA population (Honestly and I am not even sure it is part of the Philly CSA) I still cant figure out why Cecil County MD is part of the Philly MSA (well I understand the commuter share thing but it really or do people from there associate with Philly?)

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Wisconsin/Illinois is similar, also due to football but also the way Illinois drivers drive when they visit the state, generally ignoring traffic laws and going way over the speed limit. (90 in a 65, that sort of thing)
As a former resident of Illinois, that's bunk. Some Wisconsinites complain about the Illinoisans, but when you go to some of the tourist areas in southern WI, many of the cars have IL plates. They make a lot of money on the Illinoisans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pittsburgh and Philly aren't that far apart. They are a little closer at 255 miles apart.
The shortest distance between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, per Google, is 305 miles.

Quote:
Yes. I also once lived in DE and worked in the maternity dept of Wilmington Medical Center. (I know it's all different now.) Anyway, a lot of our patients came from NJ.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Salem county has less than 1% of NJ residents and less than 1% of even the Philly CSA population (Honestly and I am not even sure it is part of the Philly CSA) I still cant figure out why Cecil County MD is part of the Philly MSA (well I understand the commuter share thing but it really or do people from there associate with Philly?)
Yea I have no idea, I know nothing about that part of the state so I was just wondering. I guess the Census Bureau doesn't really care about people's feelings/loyalties when defining MSAs and CSAs - It's all about commutership. I wonder what local tv Cecil gets.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Yea I have no idea, I know nothing about that part of the state so I was just wondering. I guess the Census Bureau doesn't really care about people's feelings/loyalties when defining MSAs and CSAs - It's all about commutership. I wonder what local tv Cecil gets.
its in the Baltimore TV market

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
I don't see much in common with Oregon and Nevada, other than they both have high deserts. Even so, many people who live in Oregon's Willamette Valley tend to say that Eastern Oregon should really just be called West Idaho .

Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM

177 posts, read 430,953 times
Ohio & West Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.