U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:06 PM

5,958 posts, read 7,329,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia has fewer connections also with West Virginia just cause the border is mostly deep in the mountains with few connections, and West Virginia actually actively left the state of Virginia in the Civil War. I'd also have to say that the skinny northern panhandle of West Virginia identifies more with Pennsylvania (esp Pittsburgh) and Ohio than with the rest of West Virginia.
This is true. Many people do not see the northern panhandle of WV (and even Morgantown) as like a lot of the rest of the state. It is seen more Northern than the other parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Ohio & West Virginia
I disagree with this. You will find a lot of plates from the opposite state on each side of the Ohio River.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,748,324 times
No, most Ohioans would not say they are like West Virginians, and vice versa. That is why West Virginians like this map so much.

How_West_Virginia_Sees_America.jpg (image)

Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
No, most Ohioans would not say they are like West Virginians, and vice versa. That is why West Virginians like this map so much.

How_West_Virginia_Sees_America.jpg (image)
Every other car on the roads down there in the towns in Ohio and West Virginia along the Ohio River are from the opposite state. Funny map btw.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM

22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Have you ever been to the towns in Ohio and West Virginia along the Ohio River? Every other car on the roads down there are from the opposite state.

Parkersburg WV and Marietta OH

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,748,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
WV and Ohio, but other than that WV reflects its other border states
This is also the opinion of another West Virginian, so maybe we're both wrong. Yes, both West Virginians and Ohioans drive cars, so you're probably right.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,053,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oklahoma and Texas...only talk about each other to diss each other.
I am often surprised at the pure HATE between the two.

Texas and New Mexico. I always forget it's even on the border. Even though I lived 20 minutes from it for 3 years.

Texas and Louisiana seem to have more/better ties/relations.
Oklahoma and Texas hate each other because of football. The states really are quite similar in a lot of ways and there are a lot of ties especially in Central and Western Oklahoma. Eastern Oklahoma and the Fort Smith area in Arkansas are closely tied together but the rest of Arkansas is more tied with Tennessee and Mississippi. In Fort Smith you see a lot of cowboy hats, which is common in Oklahoma but in Little Rock you don't see them as much. I would say for Arkansas, Louisiana takes the cake for the state with the least ties to.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 AM

821 posts, read 1,255,618 times
Actually there was a lot of migration of West Virginians to Ohio's major cities in the 1940's-1970's because it was the closest state that had good jobs. Even today, there is still some migration between the two states.

In those communities along the Ohio River and south of I-70 and east of Zanesville, there are many similiarities between the two states. But they won't admit it!

Last edited by tallydude02; 09-20-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 AM

13,358 posts, read 7,034,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes there is some. But as I see it, that would mean Delaware has a bigger influence on that part of NJ than vice versa. In New Castle County, the ties to PA are primary. The influence of Philadelphia media, sports and culture only intensifies that. Most rarely give a thought to NJ.
That seems to make sense. I think Delaware has more influence on Salem county and some of Gloucester county in NJ than vice-versa. Partly because of population. The Delaware side is much more populated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post
A lot of the connection, or lack thereof, between states comes from the ebb and flow of the residents for work. New Jersey was famously described by Ben Franklin as 'a keg tapped on both ends.' Even then, Philadelphia and New York City defined North and South Jersey. Pennsylvania is pretty remarkable to me in that it is a long, horizontal state. New Jersey, WV, Ohio, Delaware, New York and Maryland on the borders. PA deserves its own topic!
And don't forget Ontario, Canada. PA shares a water border with Ontario in the middle of Lake Erie.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
We all know about bordering states with strong ties, like New Jersey and New York, Alabama and Mississippi, California and Nevada, etc. But which states don't seem to have particularly strong ties in spite of a substantial common border? Here are some that I perceive:

- Alabama and Florida
- Arkansas and Oklahoma
- Colorado and Kansas
- Connecticut and Massachusetts
- Illinois and Missouri

If I'm wrong, and these states do have strong ties, then correct me. Otherwise, are there any other states that share a substantial border but don't have very strong ties? (Not that there are no ties at all, just that they're not as strong as people would think.)
I'd have to disagree about Illinois and Missouri, as well as Arkansas and Oklahoma. All of the parts of Illinois that are on the latitude of Missouri share commonalities with it. Nothing magical happens when you cross the state line. Same thing with Arkansas and Oklahoma. I would say that Oklahoma shares a great deal in common with Arkansas culturally, linguistically, etc. In addition, Northern Florida has a lot in common with Alabama, and Western KAnsas a great deal in common with Colorado. I'd have to disagree with all of these observations to be quite honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or