U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Reputation: 10924

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Fundamentally though I see most of CA as being 'Middle America' in being most Republican (yes, outside SoCal and the Bay CA is mostly red), being dominated by suburbia, the automobile, fast food (But that's most places), chains, a love of guns, the death penalty.etc. Is this not Middle America? And good, hard working American citizens. Sacramento and Bakersfield are about as all-American as you can get, if you ask me, even San Diego is.
There are areas of America like that, but heavens no, that's not "Middle America" in any sense. Maybe the deep south a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are areas of America like that, but heavens no, that's not "Middle America" in any sense. Maybe the deep south a bit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_...(United_States)

The Central Valley is most definitely Middle American by any definition, although it's not an exact term. Which is why I argue San Diego fits the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,629,482 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I assumed Upstate NY was all of NYS except 'Downstate' which is NYC and probably the lower Hudson valley? If not than i stand corrected. NW NYS, at least, is what I'd class as Middle America along with the Rustbelt.
You clearly have not been to a place like upstate NY(or many of these other regions you lump into middle America) if you think the cities fit your definition of middle America. With the exception of being autocentric, your posts are way off.

Last edited by garmin239; 08-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Vastly different how? Culturally speaking, tell me just how Buffalo is so vastly different to Sacramento, without bringing in landscape.etc. The way they pronounce a dozen or so words? Come on, you know they're really the same.
I guess you're either just assuming that since you see a Wal-Mart in Sacramento and a Wal-Mart in Buffalo NY that everything else must just flow the same, or you're creating this post just to mess with people and see the reactions you can get.

There's way more to culture than saying words differently or having the same chain restaurants all over the country. If you honestly want to know about regional differences and "Middle America" you need to start way smaller than thinking that there aren't any cultural differences between the entire country outside of Southern California, the Northeast and the Deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_...(United_States)

The Central Valley is most definitely Middle American by any definition, although it's not an exact term. Which is why I argue San Diego fits the bill.
I get it now.

You're reading that though as if it separates a culture that exists outside the Southwest and the Northeast. It's just a phrase to describe "everything" outside of those areas. It doesn't mean that area is uniform in its cultures. It's a phrase for places not along the coasts.

It's a stereotyping description. The article even says so by saying "it's often caricatured in the same way as the American 1950s decade". It's a phrase that brings up an image, but it's just a vision for the most part, it really has nothing to do with a large part of life in that area. Certainly the areas are extremely different from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,532,744 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Fundamentally though I see most of CA as being 'Middle America' in being most Republican (yes, outside SoCal and the Bay CA is mostly red), being dominated by suburbia, the automobile, fast food (But that's most places), chains, a love of guns, the death penalty.etc. Is this not Middle America?
No. This is exactly what I-- and I'm sure other posters that have witnessed your nonsense-- have tried to get across to you.

Republican? Check the map:

http://politicalmaps.org/wp-content/...ap-nytimes.png

Death penalty? Check the map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ted_states.png

Love of guns? Check the map:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...rearmDEDIT.jpg

Suburban? Like, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, etc. (all of which have census tracts over 10,000 ppsm) are suburban? Ever been to Oak Park? Hamtramck? Clayton? St. Louis Park? See a lot of cul-de-sacs and McMansions there? That's not even getting into the West Coast cities you've managed to lump in...

Love of automobiles? Never mind that all Americans love automobiles, comparatively. Chicago has the second highest mass-transit system in the country, right? The Twin Cities, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta all have very successful mass transit system. I could name a number of cities on the Eastern Seaboard that do not...

I know that you don't think that you sound ignorant when you start these silly threads. Once in a while, you don't-- it takes you a few pages to reveal just how little you know. But please, just stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I guess you're either just assuming that since you see a Wal-Mart in Sacramento and a Wal-Mart in Buffalo NY that everything else must just flow the same, or you're creating this post just to mess with people and see the reactions you can get.

There's way more to culture than saying words differently or having the same chain restaurants all over the country. If you honestly want to know about regional differences and "Middle America" you need to start way smaller than thinking that there aren't any cultural differences between the entire country outside of Southern California, the Northeast and the Deep South.
Okay tell me about the vast cultural gulf between Sacramento and Buffalo in terms of the average person then. I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,532,744 times
Reputation: 1503
Our little Australian friend needs to visit a few more than 16 states plus-- gasp!-- New York City (the epitome of a middle-American experience...) before he or she starts any more threads.

In the meantime, Trimac, please go back to throwing boomerangs and saving your baby from hungry dingos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
No. This is exactly what I-- and I'm sure other posters that have witnessed your nonsense-- have tried to get across to you.

Republican? Check the map:

http://politicalmaps.org/wp-content/...ap-nytimes.png

Death penalty? Check the map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ted_states.png

Love of guns? Check the map:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...rearmDEDIT.jpg

Suburban? Like, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, etc. (all of which have census tracts over 10,000 ppsm) are suburban? Ever been to Oak Park? Hamtramck? Clayton? St. Louis Park? See a lot of cul-de-sacs and McMansions there? That's not even getting into the West Coast cities you've managed to lump in...

Love of automobiles? Never mind that all Americans love automobiles, comparatively. Chicago has the second highest mass-transit system in the country, right? The Twin Cities, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta all have very successful mass transit system. I could name a number of cities on the Eastern Seaboard that do not...

I know that you don't think that you sound ignorant when you start these silly threads. Once in a while, you don't-- it takes you a few pages to reveal just how little you know. But please, just stop.


Almost half of CA by area voted Republican, I was referring mainly to the Valley, obviously CA is a blue state overall.

Yes, all those cities are mostly suburban, definitely by world standards. Single detached homes dominate in every city in the US with a handful of exceptions: even Chicago is not one of them.

Still, Chicago's public transit rate is below 10%, so obviously the vast majority still like their cars. I would call that domination.

Houston's transit system? Less than 2% of people even use it regularly! That's laughable! Come back when Houston reaches 25%, let alone the 90% of cities like Hong Kong.

Again you've failed to disprove my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Our little Australian friend needs to visit a few more than 16 states plus-- gasp!-- New York City (the epitome of a middle-American experience...) before he or she starts any more threads.

In the meantime, Trimac, please go back to throwing boomerangs and saving your baby from hungry dingos.
LOL...and most of you in Mickey Mouse land think that going to Louisiana is like visiting another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top