U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Broadly speaking (I know you can break this down further), would you culturally speaking there are three 'regions' in the United States today?

1. Middle America - To me this is most of the lower 48, extending into parts of the Northeast: mostly of PA, most of upstate NY (with a few islands of NYC influence), probably the western half of Texas. The other exceptions are South Texas and the southern regions of the border states of the Southwest (the Hispanic realm). This is 'typical' America without any strong cultural regional identity.

2. The Eastern Seaboard - specifically really just eastern Pennsylvania as far as Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, NJ, MD, NOVA and arguably coastal VA. The typical 'Eastern' cultural characteristics, best represented by the urban dwellers of NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore.

3. The South - Includes most of the South, although Southern culture is being eroded in some of the bigger cities and college towns. The obvious exception is South Florida. SE FL is a mix of the Hispanic world and the Eastern Seaboard.

4. The Hispanic Realm - Areas where Spanish is commonly spoken, including Southeastern California, parts of LA County, San Bernardino County etc, much of southern AZ, most of NM and western and southern Texas.

The southern portion of Louisiana is very distinct but I would still consider it a sub-type of the 'Southern' region, if one has to divide the States into the 4 meta-regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
Not even close. There are very very distinct differences within those four regions you mentioned.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Broadly speaking (I know you can break this down further), would you culturally speaking there are three 'regions' in the United States today?

1. Middle America - To me this is most of the lower 48, extending into parts of the Northeast: mostly of PA, most of upstate NY (with a few islands of NYC influence), probably the western half of Texas. The other exceptions are South Texas and the southern regions of the border states of the Southwest (the Hispanic realm). This is 'typical' America without any strong cultural regional identity.

2. The Eastern Seaboard - specifically really just eastern Pennsylvania as far as Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, NJ, MD, NOVA and arguably coastal VA. The typical 'Eastern' cultural characteristics, best represented by the urban dwellers of NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore.

3. The South - Includes most of the South, although Southern culture is being eroded in some of the bigger cities and college towns. The obvious exception is South Florida. SE FL is a mix of the Hispanic world and the Eastern Seaboard.

4. The Hispanic Realm - Areas where Spanish is commonly spoken, including Southeastern California, parts of LA County, San Bernardino County etc, much of southern AZ, most of NM and western and southern Texas.

The southern portion of Louisiana is very distinct but I would still consider it a sub-type of the 'Southern' region, if one has to divide the States into the 4 meta-regions.

Ok... And where would Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Idaho (and perhaps Montana) fit in?

I don't understand why #4 is labeled "The Hispanic Realm" when there already is a term to label that particular area... it's called "The Southwest". "The Hispanic Realm" discounts the Native influence, of which you'd see... especially in New Mexico.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Ok... And where would Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Idaho fit in?

I don't understand why #4 is labeled "The Hispanic Realm" when there already is a term to label that particular area... it's called "The Southwest". "The Hispanic Realm" discounts the Native influence, of which you'd see... especially in New Mexico.
I guess Alaska and Hawaii are their own things. The PNW would still be Middle America, IMO, because of the accent, and having a recent settlement patterns. There is an emerging culture in the PNW but it's not distinct enough to be separate.

The Native influence is prominent too, there's a lot of overlook with Hispanic culture though.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM

160 posts, read 335,061 times
When I saw this topic, I said to myself, "yes", thinking that the four regions would be the Northeast, the South, the Midwest, and the West (yes, that's only the lower 48). But with the regions you selected... no.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess Alaska and Hawaii are their own things. The PNW would still be Middle America, IMO, because of the accent, and having a recent settlement patterns. There is an emerging culture in the PNW but it's not distinct enough to be separate.

The Native influence is prominent too, there's a lot of overlook with Hispanic culture though.
Uhm... no. PNW is more linked to California in a lot aspects (culturally, scenery/settings, settlement patterns, et. c) than it is to Middle America.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
Ok... And where would Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Idaho (and perhaps Montana) fit in?

It discounts Native American influence, yet it oddly doesn't include Miami.

I would like to see a good regional analysis of America, but these four don't feel right.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Uhm... no. PNW is more linked to California in a lot aspects (culturally, scenery/settings, settlement patterns, et. c) than it is to Middle America.
The thing is, culturally speaking I think California IS Middle America, moreso than people think. LA is an American metropolis to the core...only SF seems outside of 'Middle America', unless you count the Hispanic barrios throughout California. Maybe also the coastal strip, taking in inner LA County (typified by communities like Venice, Manhattan) along the coast, places like Monterrey, Santa Cruz, all the way to the Oregon coast and beyond taking in western Oregon would be the old 'Ecotopia.'

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,239 times
Generally id vote yes.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

486 posts, read 467,671 times
if you think upstate new york is "middle america" then you have either never been to new york or never been to "middle amercia."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or