Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,191,740 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of Americans who have been to Canada (myself included:-)

Most were either:

upstate New Yorkers going to places like Kingston to shop.

downstate New Yorkers going to Quebec for vacation.

PNW going to Vancouver to... Vancouve.

and then a smattering of others going to diverse locations. I had a girlfriend who went to Calgary for a horse related thing as she was a vet, and a colleague of mine went to Yukon on an epic rafting/fishing trip.

Speaking for myself, from the NYC area, my family took camping trips in Nova Scotia (via New Brunswick), Quebec and Ontario, and my High School's French class did a yearly trip to Quebec, as well. Once my family drove to the UP via Canada as well so I have seen a little bit of the eastern third of the country. Oh, and I have been to Niagara. One day I would like to visit Ottawa in winter and skate on the river.

I think for many Americans who are far from the border, they figure if they are going to spend hundreds if not thousands on airfare, they would rather go to Europe or someplace tropical, but a lot more Americans than you may think actually have a desire to go to some particular attraction in Canada. About a million skiers/snowboarders want to go to Whistler B.C. for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM

134 posts, read 561,264 times
I love visiting Canada and made quite a few trips there in my day. Being from Pittsburgh it's only about a four hour drive to Ontario, but I have been all over Canada. I've visited Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal, and even Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory and plan to visit the remaining provinces/territories that I haven't made it to.

Another overlooked reason that travel to Canada might be lower is due to that many Americans are denied entrance to Canada for having a DUI. While it is true that it's a legit crime, many Americans have it on their record and can't enter, while a Canadian with a DUI is usually admitted into the US. I don't have this problem, but know a couple of people who have experienced this.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,091,974 times
I often marvel about the number of ppl I know who haven't been to Canada also....I think those who do give that country a chance are usually pleasantly surprised, like when they take Alaska cruises from Vancouver....that city can be quite a culture shock for those Midwesterners or southerners...Montreal and Quebec city even more unique....at the same time, many Americans have not been to other regions of their own country so why would canada cross their radar? I know lot of ppl in California who haven't been to the NW or the South or New England so its unlikely they would even think of Canada

Also I think a lot of Americans do not think of Canada as a place to visit because it's not 'foreign' enough, but every time I go there (have been many times), it does feel different to me, the vibe, the way things are done etc etc, to satisfy travel bug

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM

115 posts, read 116,954 times
Differences in vacation time, money (Americans are loaded with debt vs. Canadians, thus arent traveling as much), and its not as if theres much buying power up there either.

Theres nothing tropical, which is more of a drive.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM

115 posts, read 116,954 times
I do. I love hockey, intelligent and attractive women (aka Canadian), and beer.

You gonna take away my birthday?

Last edited by JMT; 09-02-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,610,587 times
Because of the nazis at the border. It's easier and quicker to get across the border into China. Literally. I've done both. I've been to 125 countries and can't think of a single one where it took me longer to cross the border than it does to get into Canada or back into the USA. In the Iron Curtain era, entire trainloads of people crossed the Soviet border, in less time that it takes to get one family in a car across the Canadian border today.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,853,332 times
I just visited Canada a month ago. I live in MSP, which isn't close to the border at all.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
was detained 1 hour for a random search of car and interegation. dont wana do that again.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,692,119 times
Until 2009, only a birth certificate was necessary to cross over to Canada, at least at the border here in Detroit.

Now, as far as I'm aware, a U.S. passport is required.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,473,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Until 2009, only a birth certificate was necessary to cross over to Canada, at least at the border here in Detroit.

Now, as far as I'm aware, a U.S. passport is required.
Hey, it was the US that insisted on all that! We know it hurts trade and tourism, our government was dead set against the whole thing.

From a Canadian perspective, it actually does seem like we still get decent numbers of American tourists up here, but there`s less then there used to be. I think that has to do with the currencies being at par now, so Canada's not as affordable a destination as it was in the past when you could get a Canadian dollar for 60 cents American. Alot of Americans also seem to be really hurting financially these days, and gas is alot more expensive, so perhaps people can afford to travel here less, even forgetting the currency. I suppose I'm biased because the Americans I meet are the ones who come to Canada, but there doesn't seem to be a lack of interest. There's great attractions for Americans from all walks of life, it's just not everyone can afford the price and possible inconvenience, and perhaps we haven't been promoting ourselves enough, but it sure seems like you guys are plenty aware of what's on offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.