U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,237,087 times

Advertisements

I'm scared of separable heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM

964 posts, read 2,046,527 times
Well, a lot of people do fly there rather than drive. Probably half the friends I have in NC have been to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Calgary, a few have lived in some of those cities, for school or other reasons, and they all speak VERY highly of it, aside from the winters.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Hey, it was the US that insisted on all that! We know it hurts trade and tourism, our government was dead set against the whole thing.
!
The US doesn't get to dictate Canadian immigration policy. Cuba lets Americans in with no documentation whatsoever. Why can't Canada? Americans (and Canadians) can walk into Mexico and the border officials don't even nod.

Canada has made the decision, entirely on their own, to run a computer background check on every American who arrives at the border, and automatically reject everyone who has ever had a conviction for any crime, and turn them around on the spot and send them back. I got interrogated for a half hour because I had just bought a car a few days before, and my plates weren't in their computer yet, and that was before 9/11. Nobody in Washington is making them do that.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,614,876 times
I took the ferry to Victoria BC from Port Angeles, WA last weekend--and they barely asked us anything at the border. Looked at our passports for a second asked us why were going to Canada and waved us in. Same with flying in--they don't seem to really do much.

The Canadians are much stricter when you drive in. I drove up with a girl I was dating a few years ago and they asked us five minutes of questions about where we met, how long we knew each other, where we worked, where we grew up, and so on. No where else in the world have I ever had to answer that many questions as entering Canada. Another time when I was a kid my family had a rental car driving up from Seattle to Vancouver and they searched the entire vehicle--including pulling up all back seats and looking in all compartments.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,183,733 times
I could bike to Canada in a couple of hours or take a quick train ride, but I don't have a passport.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,198,642 times
When my family lived up in the Rochester, NY area, we had made several trips up through Canada. Visited the Ontario Science Centre one time. Another time we went to Quebec and stayed at the Chateau Frontenac. Several visits to Niagara Falls on both sides. Another time as I got older, a friend from school and I drove up. Alot of driving. Alot of flat land. Seemed like we'd never get there.

We got kicked out of a bar once 'cuz we weren't drinking enough or fast enough for them. That's a first. Usually down in the States you get kicked out of bars for drinking too much.

Everytime we crossed the border back then we were given the standard questions, ie - where are you from/where where you born? What purchases you made. Sometimes they would check the items. I do remember seeing an occasional check through vehicles ahead of us but it did not ever happen to our family/friends when we visited. Back when we visited, one did not need a passport. Way before 9/11. I did get a passport sometime ago but it's since expired and haven't bothered to get a replacement.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,801,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
How come not that many Americans drive to Canada, especially those in northern states (10 hours or less drive to the border)? I can guarantee that 95%+ of Canadians living near the U.S. border in big cities, including small, have traveled/driven thru the U.S. for any reason.

Here in New York/New Jersey area, I see plenty of Canadian license plates (Mostly Quebec and Ontario).
Canada is a unique and beautiful place to visit... sad that not that many have been there despite being close to the country. Quebec being north of us is a taste of France!

I know many Americans who says that they never been outside the country.... well you have an easy option to travel north! It's affordable and easy. All you need is passport (Should be required but whatever).

Canada is a great country, slightly different from America, and is very diverse and has anything you want!
I've wondered the same thing.

Toronto and Montreal both seem incredibly fascinating. Quebec City, in my opinion, is easily one of the most beautiful cities in North America, but you'd be surprised to discover how many folks have likely never even heard of it; especially down south, unfortunately.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,415,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
How come not that many Americans drive to Canada, especially those in northern states (10 hours or less drive to the border)? I can guarantee that 95%+ of Canadians living near the U.S. border in big cities, including small, have traveled/driven thru the U.S. for any reason.

Here in New York/New Jersey area, I see plenty of Canadian license plates (Mostly Quebec and Ontario).
Canada is a unique and beautiful place to visit... sad that not that many have been there despite being close to the country. Quebec being north of us is a taste of France!

I know many Americans who says that they never been outside the country.... well you have an easy option to travel north! It's affordable and easy. All you need is passport (Should be required but whatever).

Canada is a great country, slightly different from America, and is very diverse and has anything you want!
The only reason I've never been to Canada is cost. While I grew up in a border state (MN), we lived a long way from the border. Flights from Minneapolis to most Canadian cities are often very expensive. And while I'd love to visit Canadian cities, if I'm shelling out half a grand or more for airfare I'd rather cross an ocean. (No offense to Canada -- I'm sure I'll get there some time, and if we could work out a visa I'd be more than willing to consider relocating to a Canadian city.) But as far as travel, the passport isn't the issue, but the cost. Now obviously people who live right by the border probably cross over far more often, but living a full day's drive from a border crossing isn't particularly close, easy, or affordable. A lot of Minnesotans have passports, but last I checked, for example, you could get cheaper flights to Mexico, and it's cheaper there once you arrive. (or lots of other places, but Mexico was always a hot spot for Twin Cities residents craving affordable foreign beach vacations in the dead of winter).

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Is Canada the one with the big hats and nachos?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM

9,428 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have been to Canada and frankly, I was not impressed. To be honest there isn't anything there that you cannot get in America and you don't have to deal with snooty border agents, and the new Homeland Security BS.

The only thing that Canada has going for it is Tim Horton's and you can find them in Maine and New York, so why venture North?

20yrsinBranson
That makes as much sense as a Canadian visting Buffalo or Detroit and writing off the whole country. You base the value of the country off of a Donut and Coffee shop? It's easy to judge and dismiss something one clearly knows very little about. Why bother going anywhere? Tim Horton's ...jeez...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or