U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 PM

27,359 posts, read 20,689,340 times
I was thinking I'd like to visit Canada. I'm in NJ, so I see a lot of Quebec license plates because they all come to the southern Jersey beaches.

I know when I'm traveling up to Albany to visit my daughter, the mileage on the signs to Montreal is closer than the mileage to Buffalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 PM

4,353 posts, read 4,910,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was thinking I'd like to visit Canada. I'm in NJ, so I see a lot of Quebec license plates because they all come to the southern Jersey beaches.

I know when I'm traveling up to Albany to visit my daughter, the mileage on the signs to Montreal is closer than the mileage to Buffalo!
It would probably be a great idea someday to give yourself some extra days so you can travel up to Montreal. And if you do, you might also want to go from Montreal out to Ottawa. I think it was only a two hour or so ride(?). Very clean and beautiful city and it is interesting to compare to Washington DC.

Albany has a interesting strategic position, sort of between Montreal and NYC North/South and between Boston and Buffalo/Toronto East/West.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 416,968 times
Quote:

I see plenty of Quebec and Ontario plates all over North Jersey. You should definitely visit the city.
Only 5-6 hours drive from North Jersey/NYC area.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM

27,359 posts, read 20,689,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It would probably be a great idea someday to give yourself some extra days so you can travel up to Montreal. And if you do, you might also want to go from Montreal out to Ottawa. I think it was only a two hour or so ride(?). Very clean and beautiful city and it is interesting to compare to Washington DC.

Albany has a interesting strategic position, sort of between Montreal and NYC North/South and between Boston and Buffalo/Toronto East/West.
It's fairly new to me. My daughter transferred to UAlbany two years ago, and although I'd been to various places upstate before (don't want to start an argument over what "upstate" means now--suffice to say that when you live in NJ and work in NYC, Rockland County is "upstate") that was the first time I'd been in New York's capital. Albany has a GREAT NY State museum, by the way, as well as some beautiful architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I see plenty of Quebec and Ontario plates all over North Jersey. You should definitely visit the city.
Yes, that's what it seems to be. To me, that's an easy drive, and I love to drive. I have to get a passport. Do you know I am 54 and never had one. The only times I have been out of the country is a) to Canada as a child, which I barely remember, and b) to the Bahamas twice, but under the Caribbean Basin Initiative, you didn't need a passport to visit at the time.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what it seems to be. To me, that's an easy drive, and I love to drive. I have to get a passport. Do you know I am 54 and never had one. The only times I have been out of the country is a) to Canada as a child, which I barely remember, and b) to the Bahamas twice, but under the Caribbean Basin Initiative, you didn't need a passport to visit at the time.
Wow you should definitely visit Montreal/Quebec as soon as you get passport. Recommended time to visit the beautiful city is between May - October unless you don't mind snow and bitter cold winter temperatures.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM

4,353 posts, read 4,910,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
They are not all tourists. Some of them are on business. Also, I know quite a few Indian-Americans who have relatives in Canada (especially in Toronto) and they travel back and forth visting each other.

Of course probably most of the plates you see are from tourists. And it makes sense, the Jersey Shore is pretty attractive and is certainly warmer than southern Maine. Also, NYC has to be a huge draw in itself.

I think that the next time people have a vacation that instead of lying on some Carribean beach like a beached whale they should explore their own regions instead. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are so close but it amazes me how many people in the NYC area have never seen them.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM

125 posts, read 76,483 times
I agree with all of the posts about the border crossing - way too many invasive questions, especially going back to the U.S.

It is easier to go into Russia or Egypt than it is to get back into the U.S. from effing Canada for pete's sake! I have been to almost 40 countries on five continents and the U.S. Canada/Mexico border crossing is the most nazified out of all of them. Mexico - I can see why that is all Border Patrolled up but Canada? Good grief.

Canada is one of my favorite places in the world to visit (especially B.C.) - I have even been to all of the provinces and one territory (top that Canadians!) but I will not go back until the U.S., my country, gets sane about that border crossing again. Sorry.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM

2,091 posts, read 2,561,381 times
Another thing to consider is number of paid vacation days per year. Canadians get an average of 26 paid vacation days per year. Americans only average 13.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Another thing to consider is number of paid vacation days per year. Canadians get an average of 26 paid vacation days per year. Americans only average 13.
Somewhat true for lots of people, but why not visit on a weekend?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM

3,014 posts, read 1,677,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
It doesn't really take any vacation days to travel to Canada from many areas of the U.S. I just think that there are more different cities and places to visit in the U.S. not to mention warmer climates...hence the reason more Canadians travel to the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.