U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 01:27 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Bydand had it right, I misread him to say 'illegally' as if American drinking laws followed their citizens wherever they go (I heard people make comments like this before). So my "at the border" comment was saying American drinking laws have no hold an Americans when they cross into a different country.
However, although the legal age of consent in Canada is 16, if you touch a girl there who is 17, you can be arrested and charged when you get back to the USA for traveling abroad for the purposes of having sex with a minor. Even if you live in a state where the legal age of consent is 16 or 17, and exactly the same thing would be legal in your home state..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

141 posts, read 330,677 times
I would love to visit Canada especially Montreal or Quebec city. The main reason I haven't is because of money. Also I don't have a passport, but I really should get one. I have heard that there are lots of places in Canada that are breathtaking. I wish that I lived closer to the border because I would love to drive there.

Stephanie

Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
However, although the legal age of consent in Canada is 16, if you touch a girl there who is 17, you can be arrested and charged when you get back to the USA for traveling abroad for the purposes of having sex with a minor. Even if you live in a state where the legal age of consent is 16 or 17, and exactly the same thing would be legal in your home state..
The legal age in Canada is 14 I believe. There are many US states with the age "16" and I believe they all border Canada (Michigan does as well).

How they can levy that charge seems unconstitutional. I don't see how US laws can apply when you're not in the USA. Anyways, it's unenforceable.

EDIT: They raised it from 14 to 16 in 2008. Might have been from pressure applied by the USA.

Last edited by JMT; 09-02-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 PM

10,805 posts, read 9,439,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
They are actually amazingly close but Canada has some disadvanatages when it comes to tourism with its southern neighbor --- obviously with the warm Southern states (especially Florida) but also with the Northern states in the Great Lakes - Northeast areas.

Take Ontario for instance, which when looking at a map looks like it has thousands of beautiful lakes, especially in W. Ontario. Who wouldn't want to spend a week at a peaceful lakeside cabin in Ontario? But then remember that an American, say in Chicagoland, would have to pass thousands of equally beautiful lakes in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota to get to Ontario. Do some people do this? Of course! But I bet the majority of Americans say why bother so they stay in the USA.

Further east you have the huge Bosh-Wash corridor but here Canada not only has to compete with lakes, you begin to have the eastern mountains. The Province of Quebec has quite a number of large provinical parks in the Laurentian mountains (Laurentian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) which are related to the Adirondack mountains. But why would a New Yorker travel through the Adirondacks to get to Quebec when the Adirondacks are both higher and filled with lakes? Why would someone from Boston travel past the magnificent White mountains to spend a week camping in the smaller Quebec mountains? Not to mention people in the East passing other resorts like the Berkshires, the Catskills, the Poconos, the Greens, the Blude Ridge etc.

Still further east you have the rocky coast and little seaports of the Canadian Maritimes (I LOVE Nova Scotia!). But here again you are competing with nearby areas of the USA, namely New England --- and especially Maine. For many many people --- why travel further when you can get the rocky coast and classic seaports in Maine?

I left eastern Canadian cities for last. Here you have beautiful, clean, unique and interesting cities like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Halifax. But even here there are some interesting cities and towns on the USA side of the border, and there are more of them.
True but the French influence in Quebec exists nowhere in America to the extent there, even if you include New Orleans. Sure, New Orleans is French but most people speak English there nowadays. I think you probably get more of a "French" experience visiting Montreal than New Orleans.

The only thing is the weather in Montreal is pretty bad except for 3 months. So, if you wanted to get French culture in February and not be uncomfortable, you could either spring to go to Paris, where you get the real thing and much more moderate weather, or you go down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras where you get warm (relatively speaking) weather.

But in the summer Quebec offers a less snooty France for a cheap price for Americans.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's what's so boneheaded about border checkpoints: The border is so long and so porous that anyone with the IQ of a rhesus monkey could slip over into either country. A five-minute perusal of Google Earth will yield thousands of places where all you have to do is park your car (Or be dropped off), stroll 20 or 100 feet, and get into another car. And neither country would be the wiser for it.
There are thousands of places you don't even have to park your car, just keep driving.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

How they can levy that charge seems unconstitutional. I don't see how US laws can apply when you're not in the USA. Anyways, it's unenforceable.
They've made a couple of arrests and half-hearted efforts to enforce it, after TV scoundrels did hidden camera expose's on Americans in Cambodia, but they couldn't make the charges stick. But it is still the law, and I agree it seems unconstitutional. It's one of those laws they can get out and dust off when it becomes a full-strength police state and members of the resistance need to be rounded up and charged. Which will be easy, because everyone then will have "voluntarily" obtained their photo ID with microchip containing their dossier and everywhere they have ever gone and everything they have ever bought, in order to visit Canada, open bank account, drive, vote, etc.

The US, which owns and controls the Internet, has already imposed an 18-year age of consent on the entire planet, with respect to even sending emails. I can be arrested by American police and have my computer and other property seized for sending an email to a girl in most states and all of Canada who is over the age of consent in her place of residence. It's actually Comedy Central routine material. I can have a consenting 17-year old girl in my bedroom, and the only thing I can be arrested for doing with her is sending her a suggestive email.

Last edited by JMT; 09-02-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,033,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
They are actually amazingly close but Canada has some disadvanatages when it comes to tourism with its southern neighbor --- obviously with the warm Southern states (especially Florida) but also with the Northern states in the Great Lakes - Northeast areas.

Take Ontario for instance, which when looking at a map looks like it has thousands of beautiful lakes, especially in W. Ontario. Who wouldn't want to spend a week at a peaceful lakeside cabin in Ontario? But then remember that an American, say in Chicagoland, would have to pass thousands of equally beautiful lakes in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota to get to Ontario. Do some people do this? Of course! But I bet the majority of Americans say why bother so they stay in the USA.

Further east you have the huge Bosh-Wash corridor but here Canada not only has to compete with lakes, you begin to have the eastern mountains. The Province of Quebec has quite a number of large provinical parks in the Laurentian mountains (Laurentian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) which are related to the Adirondack mountains. But why would a New Yorker travel through the Adirondacks to get to Quebec when the Adirondacks are both higher and filled with lakes? Why would someone from Boston travel past the magnificent White mountains to spend a week camping in the smaller Quebec mountains? Not to mention people in the East passing other resorts like the Berkshires, the Catskills, the Poconos, the Greens, the Blude Ridge etc.

Still further east you have the rocky coast and little seaports of the Canadian Maritimes (I LOVE Nova Scotia!). But here again you are competing with nearby areas of the USA, namely New England --- and especially Maine. For many many people --- why travel further when you can get the rocky coast and classic seaports in Maine?

I left eastern Canadian cities for last. Here you have beautiful, clean, unique and interesting cities like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Halifax. But even here there are some interesting cities and towns on the USA side of the border, and there are more of them.
I think this sums it up really well. There's a very wide range of attractions both urban and natural in this country. The USA has it all covered. I mean, even if you wanted to see the northern lights and polar bears or 24 hour daylight in the summer or something, you could go to Alaska, rather than northern Canada. I am not trying to put Canada down by any means, but I can't think of any type of tourist attraction that can be seen in Canada that can't be seen in the US. Maybe a better view of Niagara Falls. That's the only example I can think of--Niagara Falls, ON is probably more popular even among Americans than Niagara Falls, NY.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,536,228 times
I've been to Canada a few times. I've visited Niagara Falls, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Nova Scotia. I saw tons of American licence plates on each trip to Canada, so it definitely seems like a lot of Americans do visit, especially those within a 5 or 6 hour drive. My girlfriend and I have gone up to Montreal for a weekend the past 3 summers. It's a great city, and because we can drive there, it's a nice and affordable weekend trip that doesn't need to planned far in advance.

At the same time though, Canada can also be a fairly expensive place to visit for many Americans. Flights to Canada, especially for those in the lower half of the country, can be pretty pricey.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,219,119 times
good question

my brother lives there, and i still barely visit

Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think this sums it up really well. There's a very wide range of attractions both urban and natural in this country. The USA has it all covered. I mean, even if you wanted to see the northern lights and polar bears or 24 hour daylight in the summer or something, you could go to Alaska, rather than northern Canada. I am not trying to put Canada down by any means, but I can't think of any type of tourist attraction that can be seen in Canada that can't be seen in the US. Maybe a better view of Niagara Falls. That's the only example I can think of--Niagara Falls, ON is probably more popular even among Americans than Niagara Falls, NY.
So why go to London or Paris? They have exhibits at Epcot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or