U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Reputation: 11141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Perhaps the thread needs clarity: are we talking metro areas or the actual cities? (even though the OP doesn't mention metro)

Miami proper does NOT have a larger pop. than Jacksonville, but its metro area pop. IS larger than Jacksonville's.
I think the poster realizes this "fact". While most everyone would concede that while (at 767 square miles of land) Jacksonville is the Florida city with the largest population, it is only because of its enormous municipal limits. Jacksonville is double the population of Miami because it has more than 21 times the amount of land area of Miami proper. To put in context another way, MiamiDade County's developed land is about 550+/- square miles and houses 2.5 million people. That's triple the population of Jacksonville. This sort of imbalance makes Jacksonville's "largest city in Florida" title seem rather hollow and unimportant to many within the state and throughout the nation.
Jacksonville gets ignored because it's only the 4th largest Metro in the state. Heck, if Ft Lauderdale/Broward Co. were a separate metro, it would still have hundreds of thousands more people than the current Jacksonville MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,367 posts, read 1,363,400 times
Reputation: 859
I would have to say San Jose is. At least on CD it is. The Bay Area is unique that the largest city is not the forerunner in the CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Keizer, OR
1,376 posts, read 2,518,387 times
Reputation: 1148
Houston seemed to be pretty ignored back when I lived there, though that seems to be changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 2,080,302 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think the poster realizes this "fact". While most everyone would concede that while (at 767 square miles of land) Jacksonville is the Florida city with the largest population, it is only because of its enormous municipal limits. Jacksonville is double the population of Miami because it has more than 21 times the amount of land area of Miami proper. To put in context another way, MiamiDade County's developed land is about 550+/- square miles and houses 2.5 million people. That's triple the population of Jacksonville. This sort of imbalance makes Jacksonville's "largest city in Florida" title seem rather hollow and unimportant to many within the state and throughout the nation.
Jacksonville gets ignored because it's only the 4th largest Metro in the state. Heck, if Ft Lauderdale/Broward Co. were a separate metro, it would still have hundreds of thousands more people than the current Jacksonville MSA.
Didn't Jacksonville host a Super Bowl? They got ignored for hosting that compared to other non-traditional Super Bowl Cities like Detroit, Indy and Houston.

It's airport is ignored by a lot of airlines. For a top 40 Metro, smaller cities like Salt Lake, Memphis, New Orleans, Raleigh, Hartford all have more flights then Jacksonville.

The NFL team is ignored by the NFL and will most likely move.

You never see travel shows or food travel shows talk about Jacksonville or even go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,148,195 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I would have to say San Jose is. At least on CD it is. The Bay Area is unique that the largest city is not the forerunner in the CSA.
Agreed. The Bay Area is unique for a lot of reasons. San Jose gets ignored a lot, both here on CD and in general. I really don't have a mental image what San Jose is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think the poster realizes this "fact". While most everyone would concede that while (at 767 square miles of land) Jacksonville is the Florida city with the largest population, it is only because of its enormous municipal limits. Jacksonville is double the population of Miami because it has more than 21 times the amount of land area of Miami proper. To put in context another way, MiamiDade County's developed land is about 550+/- square miles and houses 2.5 million people. That's triple the population of Jacksonville. This sort of imbalance makes Jacksonville's "largest city in Florida" title seem rather hollow and unimportant to many within the state and throughout the nation.
Jacksonville gets ignored because it's only the 4th largest Metro in the state. Heck, if Ft Lauderdale/Broward Co. were a separate metro, it would still have hundreds of thousands more people than the current Jacksonville MSA.
Yeah, I don't think people really consider Jacksonville to be Florida's biggest city and are often surprised when they find out it is. It's all because of annexing the surrounding towns. Now, there was a good reason for the annexation and Miami's suburbs have less need to be part of Miami, so there's a good reason for them being separate. Still, Jacksonville feels pretty big when you drive through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Reputation: 11141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Didn't Jacksonville host a Super Bowl? They got ignored for hosting that compared to other non-traditional Super Bowl Cities like Detroit, Indy and Houston.

It's airport is ignored by a lot of airlines. For a top 40 Metro, smaller cities like Salt Lake, Memphis, New Orleans, Raleigh, Hartford all have more flights then Jacksonville.

The NFL team is ignored by the NFL and will most likely move.

You never see travel shows or food travel shows talk about Jacksonville or even go there.
By Primary Census Statistical Areas, Jax is smaller than you might think. Using two of your airport comparisons as examples, both Raleigh and Salt Lake City are part of CSAs that are hundreds of thousands of people larger than Jacksonville's MSA (Jax highest level of designation is its MSA). I'm sure that some might jump in a talk about how it's unfair to compare CSAs to MSAs but the reality of the situation is that some metros only have a MSA and others are segmented into multiple MSAs, only to be recombined into a CSA.

Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC CSA 1,795,750
Salt Lake City-Ogden-Clearfield, UT CSA 1,776,528
Jacksonville, FL MSA 1,360,251
Memphis, TN-MS-AR MSA 1,325,605
New Orleans-Metairie-Bogalusa, LA CSA 1,238,228
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Reputation: 7010
Why are people so damn insisting on saying the Jacksonville Jaguars WILL definately move?

There are two (possibly three) teams above them in waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,870,682 times
Reputation: 1587
probably Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Keizer, OR
1,376 posts, read 2,518,387 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
THIS! Have to spread rep around (I hate that!) before I can rep you again.

Sorry HtownLove, but I can't help but notice in your posts, whenever Dallas is mentioned, you are very biased against it. It's one thing to hate a city but...wow. Spare us the fabrications.
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
Almost reminds me of the Portland/Seattle or SF/LA rivalries. Usually the one city is like a the younger/less mature sibling comparing themselves to the older/wiser one, while the wiser one really doesn't give two honks and sees the less mature one with an endearing eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,365,271 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
Almost reminds me of the Portland/Seattle or SF/LA rivalries. Usually the one city is like a the younger/less mature sibling comparing themselves to the older/wiser one, while the wiser one really doesn't give two honks and sees the less mature one with an endearing eye.
Wouldn't it be reversed in the case of SF/LA, since SF is older than LA not only in American development (obvious) but also when it came to Spanish settlement (SF as a fort started in 1776, while LA was founded in 1881)

But I find that nowadays, no one in either SF or LA assume there is much of a rivalry anyways, aside from baseball and maybe hockey (LA has no NFL, and the Warriors are full of LOL). They excel at two different things.

A lot of the Angelenos on CD assume that San Franciscans constantly compare themselves and talk about LA. I found that to be less and less of a case as time moves on. But who cares about personal experiences, right? Or even on this site: how often do Bay Area/San Franciscans talk about LA on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top