U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,630,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Almost reminds me of the Portland/Seattle or SF/LA rivalries. Usually the one city is like a the younger/less mature sibling comparing themselves to the older/wiser one, while the wiser one really doesn't give two honks and sees the less mature one with an endearing eye.
Which is which? Portland is older than Seattle. I've never seen or heard much of a Portland-Seattle rivalry at all living in this town. Outside of soccer there's no sports rivalries(unless you count Ducks/Huskies, and that's muted in Portland and not a big deal since the Ducks are so much better than the Huskies). People in Portland complain about traffic in Seattle--that seems to be about it. Maybe a few small jokes occasionally between the two, but nothing major.

In San Francisco and the Bay I never heard much about LA either. Growing up there, people just weren't that concerned--people were so focused on the surrounding region and rivalries just in the Bay Area and other areas more so as a kid, more than complaining about LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,364,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Which is which? Portland is older than Seattle. I've never seen or heard much of a Portland-Seattle rivalry at all living in this town. Outside of soccer there's no sports rivalries(unless you count Ducks/Huskies, and that's muted in Portland and not a big deal since the Ducks are so much better than the Huskies). People in Portland complain about traffic in Seattle--that seems to be about it. Maybe a few small jokes occasionally between the two, but nothing major.
Yeah, I saw that too while I was up there. Hell, a huge chunk of Seattlites I talked to (most of whom aren't WA natives obviously) feel that Portland IS a better town than Seattle because it is not as overdeveloped yet.

While in Portland, I saw a measurable number of "Dick's Famous Burgers" (a Seattle burger shop) license plate holders and bumper stickers WITH Oregon license plates.

If anything, I feel that Seattlites and Portlanders feel a huge kinship with each other considering they are the only major cities (along with Vancouver) for hundreds of miles in any direction. There's a sort of "stick-togetherness" feeling that I got. Hell, I-5 from Salem, OR to Mt. Vernon, WA (nearly 300 miles) is nearly 6 lanes all the way through, except the 15 miles I-5 goes through Lewis County, WA. The distance between Olympia (the southern end of the developed part of Puget Sound) and the north side of Vancouver, WA seems to get smaller and smaller every time I drive between the two cities.

Oh, and the stick-togetheredness is sometimes directed as their big neighbor to the south (sorry for all the times I cut any WA or OR driver off! )

Quote:
In San Francisco and the Bay I never heard much about LA either. Growing up there, people just weren't that concerned--people were so focused on the surrounding region and rivalries just in the Bay Area and other areas more so as a kid, more than complaining about LA.
Yeah, that seemed to be a lot more common considering that the Bay Area covers a large area with millions and millions of people, there does not seem to be that much energy left to direct toward a city hundreds and hundreds of miles away when the area you live in has enough cities that are vying for control against each other.

That is true for almost ANY major American metro, and especially for metros that are very decentralized. Like here in LA, I don't really hear that much about any other place aside from the usual SoCal divide of LA/OC/IE (SD sometimes, but not that often).

A lot of the NYC boosters THINK we talk about them constantly (esp. on CD), but for the most part, just like in any other city, most people are concerned with what they do in their own lives and what goes on in their own area (especially a nearly 18 million person area like Greater LA) rather than focus energy on a place hundreds or even thousands of miles away.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 08-17-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
I get it all the time Im in Houston. It drives me crazy when people (in a professional setting) in Houston go out of their way to tell me how much they hate Dallas. Its more common than I would like it to be. Go to the Houston forum and you will find threads specifically created to trash Dallas.

Granted, there are people in Dallas who dont like Houston either.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Why are people so damn insisting on saying the Jacksonville Jaguars WILL definately move?

There are two (possibly three) teams above them in waiting.
Wondering who the other teams are? The Saints might have been in contention at one point, but we have a fully renovated stadium and 50,000 people on the season ticket waiting list- Minnesota is getting a new stadium... the Raiders, again? I've heard a lot about the apathy in Jacksonville, but I haven't heard much about other teams in a while.

(and to the OP, my answer is St. Louis)

Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM

709 posts, read 1,159,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Oh, that is a pretty good one too.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Wondering who the other teams are? The Saints might have been in contention at one point, but we have a fully renovated stadium and 50,000 people on the season ticket waiting list- Minnesota is getting a new stadium... the Raiders, again? I've heard a lot about the apathy in Jacksonville, but I haven't heard much about other teams in a while.

San Diego, St. Louis, and (still a possibility) Oakland.

All three with stadium issues. And as of right now, it's the Rams frontrunning after a b.s. $700 million proposal to renovate Edward Jones Dome.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Growing up in Portland, I heard so many people diss on Seattle, I had friends who would shout "go back to Washington you obnoxious driver" at Washington plates, and say that Seattle has sold out and Portland is what Seattle used to be. Many of my friends from Seattle tell me about how they've gotten bad treatment in Oregon simply because they were from the state to the north, and tell me how in Seattle they really don't care where you're from.
And it seems lots of SoCal people complain about NorCal folk having a weird elitist attitude towards SoCal, and I do have friends from the Bay Area who tend to criticise LA. Sure I've gotten my fair share of SoCal criticism but they definitely don't go out of their way to criticise LA.
Maybe it's more of a Generation Y thing, I was born in '92 and am 20 years old. I tend to see a lot of regional pride in people my age more so than older folk.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

554 posts, read 1,022,340 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
Almost reminds me of the Portland/Seattle or SF/LA rivalries. Usually the one city is like a the younger/less mature sibling comparing themselves to the older/wiser one, while the wiser one really doesn't give two honks and sees the less mature one with an endearing eye.
LOL. It's as if Dallas is Lady Mary Crawley and Houston is Lady Edith Crawley. ( Any Downton Abbey fans?)
I have noticed that too. What's funny is that you, me and justme02 have all lived on the West Coast at one time or another and we have the same observations, as more or less outsiders, when it comes to Houstonians' attitudes toward Dallas. *Houstonians seem to be the ones with the axe to grind.

*Just an outsiders observation since moving to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I get it all the time Im in Houston. It drives me crazy when people (in a professional setting) in Houston go out of their way to tell me how much they hate Dallas. Its more common than I would like it to be. Go to the Houston forum and you will find threads specifically created to trash Dallas.

Granted, there are people in Dallas who dont like Houston either.
This is true.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 08-17-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
The smaller of the twin cities cities (hehe) are good answers. I lean toward Fort Worth because at least St Paul is the capital of Minnesota.

The cities of Tennessee do not seem to get mentioned alot, like Nashville or Memphis. On the other hand, possibly Nashville gets more do down South because of the country music connection?

But the best answer IMO is probably SAN DIEGO, which almost never gets mentioned for a decent sized city. And kind of suprising considering Hollywood is not that far away. You think they would send a film crew down now and then to show someplace different.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But the best answer IMO is probably SAN DIEGO, which almost never gets mentioned for a decent sized city. And kind of suprising considering Hollywood is not that far away. You think they would send a film crew down now and then to show someplace different.
It's probably cheaper to film in LA and with similar scenary and the same weather there isn't much incentive to film in San Diego. Even a lot of scenes in Anchorman were actually shot in LA/Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or