U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,643,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But the best answer IMO is probably SAN DIEGO, which almost never gets mentioned for a decent sized city. And kind of suprising considering Hollywood is not that far away. You think they would send a film crew down now and then to show someplace different.
San Diego gets mentioned like Honolulu gets mentioned(only San Diego gets more attention as a larger city in California than Honolulu)--as a nice place for a vaction to the beach and a beautiful location, but rarely taken that seriously as a major city. San Diego has some nice neighborhoods, but I think a lot of people just imagine it to be beaches and Sea World in the popular mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's probably cheaper to film in LA and with similar scenary and the same weather there isn't much incentive to film in San Diego. Even a lot of scenes in Anchorman were actually shot in LA/Long Beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
San Diego gets mentioned like Honolulu gets mentioned(only San Diego gets more attention as a larger city in California than Honolulu)--as a nice place for a vaction to the beach and a beautiful location, but rarely taken that seriously as a major city. San Diego has some nice neighborhoods, but I think a lot of people just imagine it to be beaches and Sea World in the popular mindset.
Sav, I see what your saying and I agree with you. It makes financial sense for Hollywood to film in the LA area. But why not film something in the LA area and even just say its San Diego? I mean to be different? It seems we keep seeing movies and media attention over and over again about LA (and if not LA then NYC), why not someplace different?

As for San Diego, the part that stands out for me is the huge San Diego Zoo. But I still think that San Diego is overshadowed by LA and San Francisco.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,944,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sav, I see what your saying and I agree with you. It makes financial sense for Hollywood to film in the LA area. But why not film something in the LA area and even just say its San Diego? I mean to be different? It seems we keep seeing movies and media attention over and over again about LA (and if not LA then NYC), why not someplace different?

As for San Diego, the part that stands out for me is the huge San Diego Zoo. But I still think that San Diego is overshadowed by LA and San Francisco.
Plus San Diego has grown really fast for over a century, too fast to consider it to be ignored.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,368,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Maybe it's more of a Generation Y thing, I was born in '92 and am 20 years old. I tend to see a lot of regional pride in people my age more so than older folk.
I'm 23 (born in 89) and am an LA native who went to Berkeley, and I know exactly what you're talking about. However, to give you a different interpretation, there is a difference between hometown/regional pride and going out of your way to bash another place. You'd be surprised, but it sort of goes both ways. A lot of LA and SoCal people generally first tell people that they are from LA/SoCal with sort of an elitist tone, and the attitude "well, in SoCal...." I noticed that a lot in college, and god knows I did it too. However, it's mostly harmless and just among a litany of things that young people make fun of each other for (in addition to your clothes, hair, the way you talk, personality quirks, etc.)

Just because someone is proud to be from the Bay or LA doesn't mean that they automatically have to criticize the other place. I've had plenty of friends from the Bay who now happily live in LA, and obviously many of the LA people who stayed in the Bay after college.

I myself have a SoCal bro shirt like this one.

I may stick a SoCal sticker on my car, but that's mostly because I love SoCal. That doesn't mean I hate NorCal (though I do hate the Giants and Sharks). I actually like both places equally.

Quote:
But the best answer IMO is probably SAN DIEGO, which almost never gets mentioned for a decent sized city. And kind of suprising considering Hollywood is not that far away. You think they would send a film crew down now and then to show someplace different.
Out of staters seem to talk about San Diego than Californians themselves, IMO.

I think a good answer for this thread really would be "any California city BESIDES LA and SF"

However, are we talking about CD or real life? In real life, most people don't talk about cities that much. I personally really only hear about NYC, Las Vegas, LA (duh!), and SF talked about regularly, with Phoenix and Seattle getting some conversation time.

Any other city? Ehh.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,406,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Which is which? Portland is older than Seattle. I've never seen or heard much of a Portland-Seattle rivalry at all living in this town. Outside of soccer there's no sports rivalries(unless you count Ducks/Huskies, and that's muted in Portland and not a big deal since the Ducks are so much better than the Huskies). People in Portland complain about traffic in Seattle--that seems to be about it. Maybe a few small jokes occasionally between the two, but nothing major.
Man, back in the day (like the 70-80s) if you were from Portland, you DID NOT go to a sporting event (mostly NBA or WHL) in Seattle and vocally root for Portland. It was not pretty.

I'd say it's a big brother/little brother type of rivalry. Not major animosity, but more of an affectionate rivalry. I mean, Portlanders have pity for Seattleites that they aren't Portlanders. But bottom line, it's better to be a Northwesterner, than live anywhere else.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 PM

709 posts, read 1,160,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I may stick a SoCal sticker on my car, but that's mostly because I love SoCal. That doesn't mean I hate NorCal (though I do hate the Giants and Sharks). I actually like both places equally.
Do they still do this... When I was a kid we all put stickers for the parts of town we were from on our cars. Like a big OB for Ocean Beach, or OS for Oceanside, NB, ... and so on all the way up to Santa Monica. It was less about SoCal - Northern Cal, and more about the beach you were from. Northern Cal was just kinda a whole other world way far north. May as well have been in Oregon. lol. A kinda romantic idea of a place we would all dream of someday visiting.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,368,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Do they still do this... When I was a kid we all put stickers for the parts of town we were from on our cars. Like a big OB for Ocean Beach, or OS for Oceanside, NB, ... and so on all the way up to Santa Monica. It was less about SoCal - Northern Cal, and more about the beach you were from. Northern Cal was just kinda a whole other world way far north. May as well have been in Oregon. lol. A kinda romantic idea of a place we would all dream of someday visiting.
Yeah, I mean I see that too still (people putting beach stickers on their cars), but nowadays its a bit more regional because frankly, most of us don't live anywhere near the beach. I mean, I grew up here in the Valley, and there is ABSOLUTELY no WAY I will stick anything that says "North Hollywood" or "Van Nuys" on my car. Though, I do see people from San Fernando wearing SF Giants hats (with SF in this case meaning San Fernando).

No matter where you are in California, you'd either find someone sporting a NorCal or SoCal sticker, usually in the more inland areas than the coast. I feel like the whole "SoCal" sticker thing is a bro thing. I usually see it on lifted pickup trucks (usually Ford F-150s) in OC and IE. Not LA so much, but its not uncommon in LA either.

So here's what I'm referring to, rest of the country

If anyone visits California, prepare to see a measurable number of either of those stickers on the road.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,813,592 times
Indianapolis, Nashville, El Paso, Tucson, Colorado Springs, Columbus, OH, Jacksonville, FL, Birmingham, Rochester, NY; Bridgeport, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Wichita, Richmond, Montgomery

Most of these cities are well ignored because there is no significant trademark or company of these cities that are well known. Although Indianapolis, Nashville an Columbus are starting to be recognized as major cities. 20 yrs from now these cities will probably as economically important as Detroit, Cleveland and other cities. El paso, Tucson, Wichita, and Rochester however are rarely if ever mentioned in the news

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM

48 posts, read 91,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Indianapolis, Nashville, El Paso, Tucson, Colorado Springs, Columbus, OH, Jacksonville, FL, Birmingham, Rochester, NY; Bridgeport, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Wichita, Richmond, Montgomery

Most of these cities are well ignored because there is no significant trademark or company of these cities that are well known. Although Indianapolis, Nashville an Columbus are starting to be recognized as major cities. 20 yrs from now these cities will probably as economically important as Detroit, Cleveland and other cities. El paso, Tucson, Wichita, and Rochester however are rarely if ever mentioned in the news
I'd agree with that list. Seeing Rochester, NY made me think of Rochester, MN. It is ignored a lot as well. In the upper midwest, everyone knows of it, but once you get to Illinois or Missouri it seems like people have barely heard of it. One person I talked to in St. Louis had heard of it, but thought it was a Twin Cities suburb. Rochester is still quite far from the Twin Cities, about 80-90 miles just to Saint Paul, and about 100+ to Minneapolis. For a city of its size, it is very ignored or even unknown.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,209,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado9989 View Post
I'd agree with that list. Seeing Rochester, NY made me think of Rochester, MN. It is ignored a lot as well. In the upper midwest, everyone knows of it, but once you get to Illinois or Missouri it seems like people have barely heard of it. One person I talked to in St. Louis had heard of it, but thought it was a Twin Cities suburb. Rochester is still quite far from the Twin Cities, about 80-90 miles just to Saint Paul, and about 100+ to Minneapolis. For a city of its size, it is very ignored or even unknown.
Is Rochester, MN a MAJOR city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or