U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 AM
 
21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Reputation: 19627

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Greensboro, NC and Greenville, SC both do seem to get overlooked.
I agree, and let's not forget neighboring Winston-Salem which is almost as large as Greensboro and when combined with it as an MSA (as it should be since they're practically connected) is the 36th largest metro area in the US, while Charlotte is just 33rd despite getting almost all of the attention. For some reason the OMB (the US agency that "defines" metro areas) has some whacked out definitions for what constitutes a metro area. Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro-Winston Salem were split up as metro areas although both overall metro areas feature geography where the two cities border and residents actually live or work in either....yet "metro areas" like Orlando for example, without a significant core and where those residing in the sprawl 30 minutes or more outside the city limits (and who might rarely venture into Orlando itself) are included in the metro area population base. Illogical much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I would have to say San Jose is. At least on CD it is. The Bay Area is unique that the largest city is not the forerunner in the CSA.
not quite Unique, last the census checked Baltimore was the bigger city in the Balt-Wash CSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
THIS! Have to spread rep around (I hate that!) before I can rep you again.

Sorry HtownLove, but I can't help but notice in your posts, whenever Dallas is mentioned, you are very biased against it. It's one thing to hate a city but...wow. Spare us the fabrications.
don't be daft. what is biased about stating an observation that FW is overshadowed in the DFW metro. do a poll and see how many people disagree.

stop whining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I think that had less do do with any anti-Dallasness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I know, but I was talking about in THIS thread. It wasn't "anti-Dallas".
Dunno why these Dallas posters are sensitive. Any discussion and they start crying "why do you hate us?" please
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
Dallas posters compares itself just as much, if not more than Houstonians. Houston people don't give as much thought to Dallas as you think. DFW is a layover port to most Houstonians, nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I get it all the time Im in Houston. It drives me crazy when people (in a professional setting) in Houston go out of their way to tell me how much they hate Dallas. Its more common than I would like it to be. Go to the Houston forum and you will find threads specifically created to trash Dallas.

Granted, there are people in Dallas who dont like Houston either.
You of all people know that that is always the case with visiting somewhere. Try visiting Dallas from Houston and you will see there are just as many idiots who start smack talking as soon as they find out where you are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You of all people know that that is always the case with visiting somewhere. Try visiting Dallas from Houston and you will see there are just as many idiots who start smack talking as soon as they find out where you are from.
I have no doubt. Its when certain Houston homers (namely Mikey) claiming its only Dallas people who talk smack that I take issue. Its a two way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I have no doubt. Its when certain Houston homers (namely Mikey) claiming its only Dallas people who talk smack that I take issue. Its a two way street.
yeah but you guys reply is always a 180. You guys flip it to make it seem like we are the only ones who talk smack. you posted two posts here that support that.

truth is anywhere you go you will find many people who smack talk when they find out where you from. But very rarely will you sit with your friends in Plano talking about Houston, none of you are from Houston so who would the smack be directed to? See the flaw in your early post??? You think we sit here in Houston talking about Dallas among our selves??? No. we needle you on here because you can hear it. You guys needle us because we can hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
truth is anywhere you go you will find many people who smack talk when they find out where you from. But very rarely will you sit with your friends in Plano talking about Houston, none of you are from Houston so who would the smack be directed to? See the flaw in your early post??? You think we sit here in Houston talking about Dallas among our selves??? No. we needle you on here because you can hear it. You guys needle us because we can hear it.
Fair enough. I respect that.

Ill leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,599 posts, read 5,845,567 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, and let's not forget neighboring Winston-Salem which is almost as large as Greensboro and when combined with it as an MSA (as it should be since they're practically connected) is the 36th largest metro area in the US, while Charlotte is just 33rd despite getting almost all of the attention. For some reason the OMB (the US agency that "defines" metro areas) has some whacked out definitions for what constitutes a metro area. Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro-Winston Salem were split up as metro areas although both overall metro areas feature geography where the two cities border and residents actually live or work in either....yet "metro areas" like Orlando for example, without a significant core and where those residing in the sprawl 30 minutes or more outside the city limits (and who might rarely venture into Orlando itself) are included in the metro area population base. Illogical much?
Ugg, it's safe to say that almost anyone living between Sanford on the north end of the metro and Kissimmee on the south view themselves as part of metro Orlando. I agree with you that our MSA population includes folks way out in BFE Lake County and the far reaches of rural Orange, but the over 1 million that live in the urban area (UA) of Orlando are a much more accurate example of those who consider their life to be "in the metro."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, and let's not forget neighboring Winston-Salem which is almost as large as Greensboro and when combined with it as an MSA (as it should be since they're practically connected) is the 36th largest metro area in the US, while Charlotte is just 33rd despite getting almost all of the attention. For some reason the OMB (the US agency that "defines" metro areas) has some whacked out definitions for what constitutes a metro area. Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro-Winston Salem were split up as metro areas although both overall metro areas feature geography where the two cities border and residents actually live or work in either....yet "metro areas" like Orlando for example, without a significant core and where those residing in the sprawl 30 minutes or more outside the city limits (and who might rarely venture into Orlando itself) are included in the metro area population base. Illogical much?
Winston-Salem even gets ignored in the thread titled "Most Ignored Cities". People often mention GSO as if W-S doesn't even exist, while the two cities are practically the same size. W-S is much more widely recognized between the two but often forgotten...when I moved from GSO to Atlanta years ago I was surprised at how many people said something like "Oh yeah, South Carolina" when I told them I was from Greensboro. There seems to be a lot of confusion between it and Greenville SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Same with Little Rock, Arkansas. When it gets mentioned, its usually always negative. I wouldn't really call Jackson and Little Rock major cities though. They are only really important to their perspective regions. Little Rock is little more than an excuse to stop for gas and get Mickey D's when driving through on I-40.

And whoever said Charlotte was ignored is off their rockers. Charlotte gets far more national recognition than most cities its size.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,271,169 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Baltimore and San Antonio
Not really. San Antono gets a lot of attention media wise, it's economy, high population growth, the Spurs and it has it's own brand, the Alamo, Riverwalk, Food, history and military significance. I have been to Baltimore twice it's a nice city and I can't say that I never here things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Reputation: 7005
Dude.... Charlotte isn't ignored, period. I see it here twice as much as my hometown, which is slightly bigger.

In fact, I hear more about Charlotte being the next "top city" in the south more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top