U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Ugg, it's safe to say that almost anyone living between Sanford on the north end of the metro and Kissimmee on the south view themselves as part of metro Orlando. I agree with you that our MSA population includes folks way out in BFE Lake County and the far reaches of rural Orange, but the over 1 million that live in the urban area (UA) of Orlando are a much more accurate example of those who consider their life to be "in the metro."
Agreed, except "metro Orlando" (MSA) gets credit for having 2.1 million people.....way overstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Winston-Salem even gets ignored in the thread titled "Most Ignored Cities". People often mention GSO as if W-S doesn't even exist, while the two cities are practically the same size. W-S is much more widely recognized between the two but often forgotten...when I moved from GSO to Atlanta years ago I was surprised at how many people said something like "Oh yeah, South Carolina" when I told them I was from Greensboro. There seems to be a lot of confusion between it and Greenville SC.
Greensboro, Greenville (SC) and Greenville (NC) cause a lot of confusion and that dilutes a city's brand identity. This is also true for Charleston (SC), Charleston (WV), Charlottesville (VA) and even sometimes Charlotte (NC).

As for W-S, the Triad didn't even get mentioned at all until the 13th page of this thread. That's pretty sad. I at least mentioned W-S in my reply to Greensboro!

There are many ways that W-S gets slighted. First of all and despite the Census' designation, the metro is often referred to Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem....despite the fact that Winston-Salem is much larger than High Point. Secondly, the airport code (GSO GreenSborO) doesn't even give a nod to Winston-Salem. Compare that to RDU which references both Raleigh and Durham in its code.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,369,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I don't understand why Houstonians seem to always be comparing themselves to Dallas. In Dallas, Houston is almost never brought up, and if you say you're from Houston, they still treat you like anyone else. Unlike Houston where if you say you're from Dallas you'll get some bad vibes.
Almost reminds me of the Portland/Seattle or SF/LA rivalries. Usually the one city is like a the younger/less mature sibling comparing themselves to the older/wiser one, while the wiser one really doesn't give two honks and sees the less mature one with an endearing eye.

I spent one week in a training class for work in Dallas years ago. A few people in the class were from Dallas. A few others were from Houston. I could definitely sense that the Houston people had a chip on their shoulder about Dallas. I almost wish I could go back in time and to an alternate universe to see how they would have acted if the class had been in Houston instead.

What is it that makes Dallas more sexy then Houston? From an outsider looking in I "prefer" Houston in that it is traditional layout of a core city and smaller suburbs. A couple of nice bypasses/beltlines and it has a port by way of Gaslveston. And I mean that from just arbitrary preferences when staring at it on a map. Dallas was definitely a lot of fun and I would love to go back. But it seems losing the Oilers, not having a TV show, and maybe being associated with NASA may have some negative impacts on Houston? I remember reading somewhere how most people would be "surprised" that Houston is the third largest city and not Chicago, even though NYC, LA and Chicago were most people perceptions is 1,2 and 3.

Just some ramblings from an ignored city resident.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM

786 posts, read 1,603,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I spent one week in a training class for work in Dallas years ago. A few people in the class were from Dallas. A few others were from Houston. I could definitely sense that the Houston people had a chip on their shoulder about Dallas. I almost wish I could go back in time and to an alternate universe to see how they would have acted if the class had been in Houston instead.

What is it that makes Dallas more sexy then Houston? From an outsider looking in I "prefer" Houston in that it is traditional layout of a core city and smaller suburbs. A couple of nice bypasses/beltlines and it has a port by way of Gaslveston. And I mean that from just arbitrary preferences when staring at it on a map. Dallas was definitely a lot of fun and I would love to go back. But it seems losing the Oilers, not having a TV show, and maybe being associated with NASA may have some negative impacts on Houston? I remember reading somewhere how most people would be "surprised" that Houston is the third largest city and not Chicago, even though NYC, LA and Chicago were most people perceptions is 1,2 and 3.

For some time longer, their surprise would be justified if you told them that, as Houston is still 4th largest as of the 2010 census.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 PM

307 posts, read 443,487 times
Fort Worth by a mile, theres 600,000 people living there and its still overshadowed by smaller suburbs like Plano.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,027,838 times
Okay, since the OP did not give criteria for what qualifies as a "major city", I am just going to say over 250,000 people in the city proper.

Not necessarily in order:

1. Jacksonville, FL - with Miami and Tampa in the state it gets overlooked even though it is the largest cit yin Florida with over 800,000 people. Maybe because it is so spread out?

2. El Paso, TX - Texas has Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas-Fort Worth and being in West Texas I'm sure doesn't do much for it by itself.

3. San Jose, CA - For its size as the number three city in the state it does not get a lot of attention. Plenty of smaller cities are talked about much more often.

4. Fresno, CA - Maybe because there are so many large cities in California or maybe because it lies in the San Joaquin Valley but for over half a million people I hardly hear about it.

5. Fort Wayne, IN - Even though it gained ~50,000 people in the past 10 years. I hear it talked about more locally, but not on a national level.

6. Henderson, NV - I'll say because of rapid growth putting it over 250,000 people (just as Fort Wayne above) and Las Vegas being so near by that it hasn't received much attention. Maybe in another 20 years.

7. Lincoln, NE - Yet another city that just made it past my arbitrary mark in the past 10 years although it has been the second largest city in Nebraska for years and the University of Nebraska is located there.

8. Stockton, Ca - Again, I would have to say other cities in California get noticed more and it's location further away from the ocean doesn't help it.

9. Corpus Christi, TX - I hear more about Texas A&M's basketball team than I do about the city itself. It has a good location and isn't too far away from the likes of larger cities such as Houston and San Antonio. I'm not sure why it's rarely talked about.

10. Riverside, CA - The county as a whole doesn't seem to get a lot of attention, but seems to get more mention that the cities.

11. Santa Ana, CA - Anaheim is right there and it seems that when talking about the area the county (Orange County) is used rather than the city a lot.

12. Bakersfield, Ca - It seems that even though it recorded ~100,000 new residents in the past 10 years that in comparison to other California cities that it isn't as ideal. Maybe that's why it does not get as much recognition.

So there may be some disagreement with the cities that I chose or my criteria, but I stuck with a strict 250,000
people and did not consider economic power into this because it was not specified in the OP and I just wanted to keep this simple.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,177,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

What you be smoking? Could you pass some on de lef han side?

Houston is is still half a million people smaller than Chicago and by far the sexiest thing in Texas. Its naturally sexy. No plastic there

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
What you be smoking? Could you pass some on de lef han side?

Houston is is still half a million people smaller than Chicago and by far the sexiest thing in Texas. Its naturally sexy. No plastic there
Get over yourselves!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Okay, since the OP did not give criteria for what qualifies as a "major city", I am just going to say over 250,000 people in the city proper.

Not necessarily in order:

1. Jacksonville, FL - with Miami and Tampa in the state it gets overlooked even though it is the largest cit yin Florida with over 800,000 people. Maybe because it is so spread out?
Jacksonville gets overshadowed because its population ranking is more smoke and mirrors due to the 700+ square miles of land it occupies. Miami's, Tampa's and even Orlando's metros are far larger than Jacksonville. I'd love to know what Jacksonville's population would be if its municipal limits were more in line with other cities. My guess is that it would be similar to Orlando or Tampa.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,296,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado9989 View Post
What do you think is the most ignored major city in America?

I would say Saint Paul, Minnesota. It has a population of 285,068, and has a pretty big downtown. The reason it is ignore is because of how close it is to Minneapolis, which has about 100,000 more people than Saint Paul does.

Saint Paul also has a very good skyline too, which is also overlooked.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._7_11_2007.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2005-10-27.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/...c89b219f45.jpg
Saint Paul is not ignored. Minneapolis-Saint Paul are in the same metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or