U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,370,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'd have to say Oakland.

Name one other city that's close to a half a million people that has it's own vibe, flavor, and infrastructure that's less than 10 miles from a world class city like San Francisco.

Nothing in the US comes even close. Maybe you could argue Brooklyn/Manhattan, but they're technically the same city.
Not close to half a million, but Newark, being well over a quarter million, (own infrastructure/culture and was a standalone city before the 'metro-area' concept was being thought of) less than 10 miles away from Manhattan is IMPOSSIBLE gravity to escape. Even if Newark shot up to Oakland's population tomorrow it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Not quite the same situation, but really the only one I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM

407 posts, read 681,957 times
I would say Arlington, Texas is pretty much ignored. They even held the Super Bowl, but even the media kept referring to it as being in Dallas, which is a good 25 miles away

Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,966,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I would say Arlington, Texas is pretty much ignored. They even held the Super Bowl, but even the media kept referring to it as being in Dallas, which is a good 25 miles away
Yeah...the specific location of the Super Bowl may have been Arlington, but Dallas was still the host city. Arlington wouldn't even have a stadium without Dallas and would never get a Super Bowl without being part of the metroplex.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-09-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:09 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,243,454 times
Quote:
Arlington is a friggin' SUBURB.

A FORT WORTH suburb, at that. The reason why they have the stadium is because they capitalized on Dallas' screw ups and sold out their land to get it.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM

111 posts, read 242,021 times
The Queen of most ignored (and underrated US cities) for me, is Chicago. The most-american City (do not quote me for that) surely needs more attention in a global level. Chicago for Olympics 2026! lol ^_^

Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 24,800 times
San Jose since everyone is ignorant about the fact San Jose is 10 largest city in the country with a high tech industry. It has all the big city amenities.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM

4,441 posts, read 4,441,108 times
Quote:
I believe some leaders want Arlington to make it from a suburb to some what a city but Arlington has a way to go to get this. I believe Arlington leaders want Arlington TX to be like Anaheim CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah...the specific location of the Super Bowl may have been Arlington, but Dallas was still the host city. Arlington wouldn't even have a stadium without Dallas and would never get a Super Bowl without being part of the metroplex.
Dallas was not the host city, A group call the North Texas Super Bowl Bid Committee was behind this, The DFW region in general was the host. Technically Fort Worth was designated as the AFC host city and Dallas was the NFC host city. The Cowboys maybe Dallas team but this had nothing to do with the Superbowl. This actually proves more how Fort Worth and rest of DFW is ignore actually.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM

3,627 posts, read 7,192,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardofozboy View Post
The ones in Florida
only Jacksonville

Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,718,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
only Jacksonville
I would agree with this one. Since making Jacksonville and Duval County one and the same, JAX is America's largest city. However, except for some Southeasterners, nobody talks about it. I've been. It's nice, but not in any way compelling. Also, while there are abundant beaches, they are not of the turquoise colored water variety.

But, if we are talking MAJOR city, I would have to say it would be Houston. It's the only one in the top 10 metros where I've never heard someone say "I'm going to Houston" unlike they do with Boston, Atlanta, Chicago. Regardless, many people live in Houston and are happy with their lives there.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-11-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

52 posts, read 81,193 times
I would say Salt Lake City, because alot of people give it a thumbs down just because of the mormon presence. I know Im a bit jealous because the mormon folk got imo one of the prettiest states in the west. I know the freeway system in Salt Lake City was really easy to understand.But from what Ive seen personally, and from reading the CD forum, if you look past the mormons (thats not a problem for me) Salt Lake City would be a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or