U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,267,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Only one of those, I'd call major.
Which one?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,638,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
Not sure what you mean by that.
Ok, let me clarify: help yourself to the Mormon presence. 50:50 is still a force to be reckoned with. No thanks.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,569,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Which one?!?
Most likely Tulsa, since it is the largest out of 3.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,339,221 times
Toledo, Ohio

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Which one?!?
Tulsa.

And that's just being generous....

Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,574,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
OKC could potentially be a boomtown in the next decade if they play their cards right. Charlotte and Austin were both sleepy towns 15 years ago but today are two places people want to relocate to. OKC has the potential to get there.

As far as perception, this city is suffering from three things.

1. It's conservative - young people want to live in a liberal city. What they don't tell you is OKC does have its liberal pockets and the city government is pretty relatively progressive. There is a church on every corner but only a handful are popular with the youth. The rest of the congregations are pretty much 50+. While I personally am a Christian and thing church is a good thing, I realize by far most of my generation does not so I make this point to show its not as bad as they think, especially the closer you are to downtown.

2. The '90s - OKC in the '90s was probably one of the worst cities its size in the entire US. It had a horrible economy on top of it all. Tulsa was considered the superior city in Oklahoma and nobody wanted to live in OKC unless they absolutely had to. The city is still suffering with some of this reputation in the national conscience. It's turning around though. The OKC of the '90s is no more and with the Thunder America is starting to realize that.

3. It's natural surroundings - This is something OKC can't really do much about. It's a Great Plains city and there's not much natural scenery or outdoor recreation in under an hours drive. This city is however making the best of what they do have and there is plenty of outdoor recreation to be had in just a couple of hours both east and west.
I haven't spent much time in either OKC or Tulsa, but from my short trip I liked Tulsa a lot more. Although, I had a native showing me around Tulsa, and I only stopped in OKC for lunch. I still wouldn't live in either. Does anyone know how long the train ride is from Fort Worth to OKC?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
On this forum: Boston, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix

I want to start hearing about all four more often. It's ridiculous how they go so under the radar on this forum for the big cities. Actually in a way its a good thing, their people have more class than deranging every topic with homer arguments.

They officially have my respect.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,795,871 times
I almost never hear or read about Cleveland,Columbus,Cinncinati,and Toledo in Ohio,nor do I hear much about Indianapolis Indiana.
They all seem to get lumped in with Chicago,as if Chicago is one big area stretching over 3 states.
But for these cities,I guess its a good thing for them. They have a very low cost of living.

Memphis is another one,but I can see why it gets ignored with those crime stats.
The one major city in the south I never hear about.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:14 AM

Honorable mentions also go to Buffalo and Syracuse. They get overshadowed by Nyc.
Again,works in their favor as they also have Low cost of living.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:15 AM

Honorable mentions also go to Buffalo and Syracuse. They get overshadowed by Nyc.
Again,works in their favor as they also have Low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or