U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 AM

8,226 posts, read 10,819,328 times

Advertisements

Honorable mentions also go to Buffalo and Syracuse.
Almost never hear about those cities,outside of sports anyway.
I don't even know what they have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 AM

353 posts, read 411,177 times
El Paso, Texas never hear about this city!

Fort Worth, Texas? Dallas gets more love in the media.

Virginia Beach, VA <--huge suburb in the tidewater area, kinda boring besides the beach when I lived there.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM

425 posts, read 286,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Honorable mentions also go to Buffalo and Syracuse.
Almost never hear about those cities,outside of sports anyway.
I don't even know what they have to offer.

Upstate NY cities are basically the same demographically than NJ cities (ie: Trenton).

Same in general actually.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM

425 posts, read 286,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
The Queen of most ignored (and underrated US cities) for me, is Chicago. The most-american City (do not quote me for that) surely needs more attention in a global level. Chicago for Olympics 2026! lol ^_^

I can see this, but I think its well represented on a global level. Its undoubtedly a world city, and one of the best.

People may disagree on here because Chicago has a pretty big rep on here (thankfully), but the coasts (NY, DC, LA) soak up 90% of the media.

Media plays a huge part in this. Constantly getting the same two (sometimes three) cities shoved down the national throat.

That actually is something I think that is to Chicago's benefit.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 4,081 times
Norfolk and Virginia Beach area

Old 08-21-2016, 12:46 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,680,564 times
St. Louis is definitely one of the most ignored by far. We never get any attention from the media at all, even in terms of negative attention like cities like Detroit gets-we've lost more of our peak population percentage-wise than Detroit but no one ever talks about the urban decay StL has faced. Corporations ignore us, airlines ignore us, and sports leagues (see: NFL) try to ignore us too. You never hear about the Cardinals or Blues on ESPN as much as teams that are as or less successful than them. St. Louis isn't just facing decay of its urban fabric and population shrinkage, like Detroit, Cleveland, or Chicago. No, it's facing something much worse: increasing irrelevance.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:57 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,710,256 times
Wow I really wouldn't call a lot of cities people have listed as "major cities".

For me I think Sacramento gets overshadowed by the other major cities in the state. Fort Worth gets overshadowed by Dallas, a lot of people just view it as a big suburb when it's an independent city that has it's own identity. Jacksonville almost has 1 million people yet Miami, Orlando, and even Tampa overshadow it when people talk about Florida. Indianapolis gets almost no recognition too. It has almost 900K people in the city proper and their downtown is actually quite impressive.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,217,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
St. Louis is definitely one of the most ignored by far. We never get any attention from the media at all...
False.

And I didn't quote it, but you're DEFINITELY wrong about ESPN and the Cardinals...

Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM

5,120 posts, read 4,145,561 times
Definitely Ft. Worth, Indianapolis, Norfolk, Buffalo, Jacksonville

Honorable mentions:

Omaha, Grand Rapids, Providence, San Antonio, Salt Lake City

Note* I do not consider all of the cities major, but even the smaller cities are ignored.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 PM

33 posts, read 21,403 times
Tacoma Washington for sure…..Seattle's little sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or