U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM

862 posts, read 750,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
In the past, I heard Baltimore mentioned not too rarely. Though, it was mostly in relation to the musical Hairspray. Cannot get enough of "Good Morning Baltimore."
Yes Hairspray did a lot to put Baltimore on the map even though I guess some would say that the other John Waters movies did just as much however I can't imagine that there were many who did felt that the characters in "Pink Flamingos" or "Female Trouble" were the kind of people one would find in Baltimore.

Looking back to the 70s and 80s even then I don't think Baltimore was ignored at least not in the Mid-Atlantic region anyway There were The Orioles ( they were on fire in the 70s ) and The Colts plus there was Baltimore's WBFF channel 45 which was in those days actually a regional superstation. Not like Atlanta's WTBS or Chicago's WGN but WBFF was on several cable systems as far away as North Carolina and well into central Pennsylvania. I think WBFF even had viewers in Ohio in those days too. Baltimore in the 80s was a popular place to see rock concerts since after they would play the civic center the bands would often hit the sadly now defunct Hammerjacks near the Inner Harbor to carry on the party. Baltimore was "IT" for so many metal heads in those days. Nothing like having a beer with the rock band RATT after the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM

553 posts, read 482,261 times
Philly for sure. It's a huge, dense city with beautiful architecture and a lot of history. Center City is amazing and NW Philly charming. I'm dumbfounded at how people rarely speak of Philly outside the east coast. I didn't even know how great philly was until I started following this forum in 2012. It has now catapulted to my 2nd favorite city.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 PM

151 posts, read 83,585 times
Except Philadelphia isn't ignored.

Being ignored and underrated aren't the same thing.

All four East Coast cities are mentioned quite a bit for obvious reasons. They're all super close to eachother.

If I had to rank media coverage:

New York
Washington
Philadelphia/Boston

Philadephia's sports teams give them more than enough press.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Seems like no one really cares about Cincinnati.
I am from Cincinnati originally that is awesome man

Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM

93 posts, read 66,809 times
Sunbelt cities are criminally underrated on this site
Atlanta, Houston, Dallas,etc. massive cities with huge growth, culture and diversity
BUT of course this makes sense people on this site are usually interested in urban planning meaning they have bias for European style northeast and Pacific Northwest cities

Old 10-06-2016, 11:52 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
It sounds like you generally agree with the common assessment then. They're big and growing but not very urban.

We're interested in planning but also in urbanity itself...for lifestyle reasons, for aesthetics, for environmental reasons, because that's what a big chunk of the public wants, and so on.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 AM

10,842 posts, read 19,426,909 times
According to this thread, every city in the country is ignored, haha.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,252,205 times
A big chunk of the public also doesn't care for urbanity.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 AM

652 posts, read 568,839 times
Quote:
This.

Planners work hard trying to tell us what we want, but trends are called trends for a reason.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,153 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people in Dallas that care about urbanity. Maybe not in your suburban paradise of Irving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or