U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM

390 posts, read 231,998 times

Advertisements

I'd have to vote for Columbus OH. I've always thought of Columbus as the biggest city you never hear anything about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 02:20 PM

97 posts, read 84,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I'd have to vote for Columbus OH. I've always thought of Columbus as the biggest city you never hear anything about.
Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, yet I barely hear about it. I agree, I hear way more about cincy and cleveland than ohio.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
I believe it's #3 in Ohio, but yes it should be more well-known.

Unless you're talking about city limits of course, but why would you?

Old 10-15-2016, 03:09 PM

114 posts, read 88,419 times
How is Columbus ignored? It`s one of the fastest growing cities in the Midwest. Both Obama and Trump were in the city campaigning just on Thursday.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Fort Worth doesn't seem all that well known nationally even though it's a large city. But in architectural forums, it gets very high marks for outstanding new and older architecture downtown, and a beautifully designed downtown area that is the envy of many other cities. It's very generic suburban outside of downtown (with the exception of a few areas with a great deal of charm), so downtown is its main high point.
While I love hearing and seeing this, even as the biggest Fort Worth homer on this board, I say that we still have a ways to go.

Things are moving in the right direction, though...

Old 10-17-2016, 12:30 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I believe it's #3 in Ohio, but yes it should be more well-known.

Unless you're talking about city limits of course, but why would you?
You are right, Columbus is the third largest metro in the state. The three C'S are fairly similar population wise on a metropolitan scale.

Based on 2015 census estimates of MSA's

1. Cincinnati 2,157,71. Up 2.04% since 2010
2. Cleveland- 2,060,81. Down -.79% Since 2010
3. Columbus- 2,021,632. Up 6.29% since 2010

I believe Columbus has a generally positive reputation in Ohio and regionally i.e. young progressive city, home of the OSU Buckeyes and a robust economy. I agree that our national reputation is virtually non-existent which is a dual edged sword in my opinion. Since the city doesn't have an established national brand it is easier to mold a positive one than for cities like Cleveland or Detroit who have to shake off the rust belt stigma.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:56 AM

25 posts, read 21,868 times
A lot of people can't look past Baltimore's bad reputation to see what a unique city it is. There's something about the culture that I've never seen anywhere else. It's a gritty place, yes, but beyond the streets of vacant rowhouses it's got eclectic neighborhoods, gorgeous waterfront, and an underground art scene that is both fresh and unconventional. I'd choose Baltimore over DC any day.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdessaBones View Post
A lot of people can't look past Baltimore's bad reputation to see what a unique city it is. There's something about the culture that I've never seen anywhere else. It's a gritty place, yes, but beyond the streets of vacant rowhouses it's got eclectic neighborhoods, gorgeous waterfront, and an underground art scene that is both fresh and unconventional. I'd choose Baltimore over DC any day.
I've always been in awe at how beautiful Baltimore is. Still, Baltimore is hardly ignored, and I would possibly saw it is "overrated" in terms of how often it is spoken about, in the same vein as Gary, Indiana, or East Saint Louis, Illinois (not to say Baltimore is as bad).

Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM

9,055 posts, read 4,127,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
How is Columbus ignored? It`s one of the fastest growing cities in the Midwest. Both Obama and Trump were in the city campaigning just on Thursday.
In terms of Ohio, I would say Cincinnati is probably the most ignored compared with what it offers. Columbus is starting to get well established as a tier-2 "hip" alternative to the millennial hotspots.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
You are right, Columbus is the third largest metro in the state. The three C'S are fairly similar population wise on a metropolitan scale.

Based on 2015 census estimates of MSA's

1. Cincinnati 2,157,71. Up 2.04% since 2010
2. Cleveland- 2,060,81. Down -.79% Since 2010
3. Columbus- 2,021,632. Up 6.29% since 2010

I believe Columbus has a generally positive reputation in Ohio and regionally i.e. young progressive city, home of the OSU Buckeyes and a robust economy. I agree that our national reputation is virtually non-existent which is a dual edged sword in my opinion. Since the city doesn't have an established national brand it is easier to mold a positive one than for cities like Cleveland or Detroit who have to shake off the rust belt stigma.
I think perceptions (and local economies etc.) tend to be closer to CSA population than MSA population.

And of course pro sports. If Ohio State was named for the city that might have a similar effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or