U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,368,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That would be Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, and the city of Wichita is bigger than the city of St Louis. So what. We all know that Wichita does not compare to StL nor is Wichita a bigger city than St Loius.

Miami is the largest city in FL.

If Des Moines annexed 80% of the state of Iowa, would you rank it a top five city?
Perhaps the thread needs clarity: are we talking metro areas or the actual cities? (even though the OP doesn't mention metro)

Miami proper does NOT have a larger pop. than Jacksonville, but its metro area pop. IS larger than Jacksonville's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If you never hear Detroit mentioned in music discussions then you must be pretty young.
Even NOW, Detroit and musicians from Detroit have at least a small hold on pop cluture.

(Eminem, D12, Kid Rock, Big Sean, Aaliyah)

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM

163 posts, read 197,612 times
Baltimore

Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,541,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You can't be more wrong.

Dallas survived because of FW and the other cities in Texas and the surrounding states.

FW's cattle industry fed Dallas shipping industry. SA's cotton industry did the same. Houston's port did the Same. None of the other cities really need Dallas, but Dallas's existent depended on the Industries of its neighbors.

As for the the rivalry, the FW- Dallas one is just as intense as the ST Paul- Minneapolis one. There is lots of name calling and looking down upon in DFW.
Yeah, but that's the equivalent of saying that Minneapolis "survived" because they had grain downriver in Mankato, isn't it?

I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm admittedly ignorant. Don't know if your post was supposed to be accusatory-- if not, I apologize. Obviously, every state has a statewide economy with checks and balances between cities. St. Paul would definitely be just as large-- if not larger-- as it is without Minneapolis, though. Do you think there'd still be 700,000 people in Fort Worth if Dallas was not there? I think Fort Worth is a lot more dependent on Dallas, due to proximity, than St. Paul is on Minneapolis, but again, that's just my opinion...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,586,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Indianapolis.
Agreed.
+1 for you.

But have to admit Super Bowl 46 is turning the tides there.
Soon hopefully Super Bowl 52 in Indianapolis again

Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM

582 posts, read 780,308 times
Baltimore and Virginia Beach are generally ignored because of their proximity to more prolific cities.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... see?

1. WRONG.

2. Just go back to Super Bowl XLV, for example. I promise you, it's more intense here.
Um...ok, I don't know exactly what this means, but a few tidbits off the top of my head from MSP:

--In the late 19th/early 20th century, census takers were arrested and kidnapped in Minneapolis so that it wouldn't pass St. Paul in population.

--In the 1930's, the mayor of St. Paul harbored a large syndicate of the Chicago mob within city limits, as long as they promised to only commit crimes within the city limits of Minneapolis.

--The Millers and Saints packed the streetcars for a split doubleheader every year. Fights were constant, between players, fans, and players/fans. Read about it here:
Pay Days: Millers vs. Saints

--St. Paul built its cathedral in 1904. Not to be outdone, Minneapolis built the basilica in 1907.

--The cities actually competed AGAINST each other to land major league baseball. Calvin Griffith named the team the Minnesota Twins specifically to not alienate people in St. Paul (he knew that if Minneapolis was in the name, St. Paulites would abstain from games). The logo was designed for similar reasons. Every other sports team in the Twin Cities has followed suit.

--There are a number of "copy cat" structures in both cities: St. Paul's landmark center and Minneapolis's city hall are almost architecturally identical. There is a Qwest Building in each city's downtown built from identical limestone, quarried in the same place. St. Paul has a big marble statue called "Vision of Peace," Minneapolis has a big marble statue called "Father of Water." Each city has its own convention center, symphony theater, and sports arena.

These are a few of many, many examples. I don't know much about the DFW rivalry, so I can't speak much about it. But Super Bowl XLV (whatever in the world that is supposed to mean...) is not going to convince me that it's longer lasting or more heated than MSP. Not even close...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
"Name calling" and "looking down upon" is one thing, but that was nothing back when Minneapolis and St. Paul had their real rivalry going on. When one city built a building, the other builds one taller. When one city finishes a Cathedral, the other builds a basilica right afterwards. St. Paul is farther downriver, so they were stealing most of the river industry and barge traffic from Minneapolis. They used to both be a similar size, and during one Census, each city organized the arresting or kidnapping of the other city's census taker. At one point, the two cities couldnt agree on Daylight Savings Time, so St. Paul was an hour behind Minneapolis, so the time switched every time you crossed the border. People would never visit the other city. People from Minneapolis would get in violent fights with People from St. Paul. Both competed for major league teams and stadiums. That, my friend, is rivalry.
Know that Htown is a Houstonian and wasn't raised in the area.

I can tell you, it's MORE than just name calling and looking down. You say that M-StP had their rivalry going on. In several aspects, it's still going in DFW.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,619,293 times
I would say Jackson Mississippi.

When it does get mentioned here it is almost always concerning a negative aspect of the city.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Know that Htown is a Houstonian and wasn't raised in the area.

I can tell you, it's MORE than just name calling and looking down. You say that M-StP had their rivalry going on. In several aspects, it's still going in DFW.
It's alive and well in MSP, too (just ask my friends and relatives that refuse to cross bridges. For any reason. Ever )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or