U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,056,208 times

Advertisements

Most ignored big city ?

I'd say

Jacksonville, San Antonio, and San Jose are on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,056,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Perhaps the thread needs clarity: are we talking metro areas or the actual cities? (even though the OP doesn't mention metro)

Miami proper does NOT have a larger pop. than Jacksonville, but its metro area pop. IS larger than Jacksonville's.
Based on the OP, where he singles out St. Paul Minnesota, it seems pretty clear we're talking about actual cities. Hard to separate a city from it's metro area if you're not from there, though.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
I was kind of looking at this as metropolitan areas that get ignored. Cities like Ft Worth, St Paul, Ft Lauderdale, Oakland, San Jose, Anaheim, etc..are always going to get overshadowed as they are not the premiere city of their respective metropolitan areas. So I don't really think it's a big deal that they are ignored, it's kind of natural they would be.

Also some cities are ignored for good reason when they don't offer much like Fresno or Bakersfield. I'll say it again, considering how much Honolulu offers as far as things people talk about on this forum it gets ignored quite a bit. There's not city anywhere near its size that offers the density, vibrancy, and amount of high rises it does. For a metro of less than 1 million it's very impressive. Up there with Miami and NOLA as far as uniqueness.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Um...ok, I don't know exactly what this means, but a few tidbits off the top of my head from MSP:

--In the late 19th/early 20th century, census takers were arrested and kidnapped in Minneapolis so that it wouldn't pass St. Paul in population.

--In the 1930's, the mayor of St. Paul harbored a large syndicate of the Chicago mob within city limits, as long as they promised to only commit crimes within the city limits of Minneapolis.

--The Millers and Saints packed the streetcars for a split doubleheader every year. Fights were constant, between players, fans, and players/fans. Read about it here:
Pay Days: Millers vs. Saints

--St. Paul built its cathedral in 1904. Not to be outdone, Minneapolis built the basilica in 1907.

--The cities actually competed AGAINST each other to land major league baseball. Calvin Griffith named the team the Minnesota Twins specifically to not alienate people in St. Paul (he knew that if Minneapolis was in the name, St. Paulites would abstain from games). The logo was designed for similar reasons. Every other sports team in the Twin Cities has followed suit.

--There are a number of "copy cat" structures in both cities: St. Paul's landmark center and Minneapolis's city hall are almost architecturally identical. There is a Qwest Building in each city's downtown built from identical limestone, quarried in the same place. St. Paul has a big marble statue called "Vision of Peace," Minneapolis has a big marble statue called "Father of Water." Each city has its own convention center, symphony theater, and sports arena.

These are a few of many, many examples. I don't know much about the DFW rivalry, so I can't speak much about it. But Super Bowl XLV (whatever in the world that is supposed to mean...) is not going to convince me that it's longer lasting or more heated than MSP. Not even close...
Hmm.

Ok. So it may not be as intense, but there's still the two cities fighting over a regional airport the "Sleeping Panther" insult from a major Dallas newspaper. Amon G. Carter (Fort Worth's biggest booster), and TCU-SMU.

I put emphasis on the word "had" because you guys keep saying "had", as if it ended. Like I already mentioned, it's still going. When one city, or county has something, the other city has either the opposite or a bigger/better version of it and can be very night and day. For example:

- Dallas has Southwest Airlines / Fort Worth has American

- Fort Worth has the first indoor Stock Show & Rodeo / Dallas has the State Fair

- Dallas County has the Mavericks and Stars / Tarrant County has the Rangers and Cowboys

- Fort Worth has West 7th / Dallas has Deep Ellum

- Dallas has the Trinity River Corridor / Fort Worth has the Trinity River Vision

- Fort Worth has commuter rails in plan / Dallas has light rail already in existance

- Dallas has the better skyline / Fort Worth has the better downtown area

- Fort Worth is planning their Uptown (see Trinity River Vision) / Dallas Uptown exists and is currently expanding

- Dallas has a JFK Memorial and the site of his assasination / Fort Worth is building a JFK Memorial and the hotel where he spent his last night on earth

- Fort Worth has the better zoo / Dallas has the better aquarium

- Dallas doesn't celebrate the wild west image / Fort Worth embraces it

- Fort Worth's Museum District is older with a good reputation / the Museum District in Dallas is newer with a growing reputation.

- Dallas has the tv show / Fort Worth doesn't

When I went to high school and played football against Dallas schools, we'd have the (817) eye black. When they came over here, they had the (972/214) eye black. There would at the very least be some after play pushing and shoving.

As for the Super Bowl comment, Dallas and Fort Worth (and even a few other cities in the area) basically clawed and scratched for events, competing AGAINST each other for a piece of it. When ESPN came to Fort Worth, Dallasites were p.o.'ed at the fact that it couldn't be in Fair Park.

So maybe the Twin Cities had a strong rivalry, but don't think we don't, either. And I don't know if people call St. Paul a suburb of Minneapolis, but when you do it in Fort Worth, get ready to hear an earful. Some people will take it so serious that they'll want to knuckle up..... which kind of goes back to the whole point of this thread as we're the most ignored.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was kind of looking at this as metropolitan areas that get ignored. Cities like Ft Worth, St Paul, Ft Lauderdale, Oakland, San Jose, Anaheim, etc..are always going to get overshadowed as they are not the premiere city of their respective metropolitan areas. So I don't really think it's a big deal that they are ignored, it's kind of natural they would be.
Refering to my last few posts, it is.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM

15,466 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Refering to my last few posts, it is.
Not to anyone that lives outside those respective cities.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not to anyone that lives outside those respective cities.
That's the worst part about it....

Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Without FW balancing out cities such as OKC could have served as the hub instead.
Actually there is an airport that is one of the most ignored, The George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport. It would have been the hub except for a few problems at its opening that DFW knew to fix before opening a few years later.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Baltimore and San Antonio

Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,357,662 times
Are we talking about City Data or real life?

Frankly, aside from LA (duh!), Las Vegas (mostly for partying), SF, and NYC. I don't really hear that much about other cities, at least in the circles I'm in. You'd think I'd hear more about places like Chicago, Houston, Dallas, and even San Diego. But nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, Bakersfield (California) is quite a bit larger than many people assume (its Census MSA is over 850,000 people), but it doesn't usually come up in discussions of California, or southern California in particular.
Well, outside of LA and SF (and cities in their metro area obviously), most other places in California do not come up. Sometimes San Diego does, but not amongst native Californians as much I find IRL. SD is LOVED by out of staters for some reason, in a way Californians don't love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or