Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Ft. Worth is in the same boat as St. Paul. They are both cool cities, but massively overshadowed by their big brother.

Honolulu is interesting, though. It is a popular city, but I don't hear it's name thrown around here very often on C-D.
Yeah, but Fort Worth's bigger and DOESN'T usually market itself with its neighboring city (i.e., Dallas). At least, try not too, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I don't know much about Fort Worth, but I think St. Paul has a lot more pull within its metro area. St. Paul is the seat of the state government, major center for the medical device industry, and has a very distinct personality and culture sort of separate from Minneapolis. Fort Worth I have always thought of as more of a city that grew up because of Dallas, not in spite of it. But I could be wrong.

My impression is also that the Minneapolis-St. Paul rivalry is a bit more....um...intense? than Dallas vs. Fort Worth....
.... see?

1. WRONG.

2. Just go back to Super Bowl XLV, for example. I promise you, it's more intense here.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Fort Worth IS in the shadow of Dallas. It's part of the DFW area and would not stand alone as a MAJOR city without Dallas unless Fort Worth captured a lot of the growth that would have gone to Dallas instead. Same with St Paul. They would be more in line with OKC, a small metro that gets about the amount of attention it deserves for what the city offers.
what do you mean the growth that would have gone to Dallas. They are twin cities. They grew up together. Just like FW would not have grown as much without Dallas, Dallas would not have grown as much without FW.

There is a reason why they have a regional airport. It serves the REGION. Without FW balancing out cities such as OKC could have served as the hub instead. I don't think Dallas alone makes a better case for the airport without FW. Its the regional strength that drove growth.

Just like FW would have been in line with OKC without Dallas, Dallas would also be in line with OKC without FC. It goes both ways

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, and the city of Wichita is bigger than the city of St Louis. So what. We all know that Wichita does not compare to StL nor is Wichita a bigger city than St Loius.

Miami is the largest city in FL.

If Des Moines annexed 80% of the state of Iowa, would you rank it a top five city?
If 80% of Iowa were annexed by Minnesota, would anyone outside of Iowa care?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Columbus, Ohio - 800,000 residents but zero name recognition.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 270,883 times
Louisville, Jacksonville, and Omaha are all decent choices here. Not big metros, but larger cities with respectable sized CBDs. You rarely hear anything about any of these cities.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Ohio State, the Blue Jackets, and the city with the first Soccer Specific Stadium in the MLS.

Maybe when it comes to overall recognition, no. But they at least have sports....

Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM

48 posts, read 108,314 times
Des Moines is actually a fairly big city that is often ignored. It's not extremely big, but it is growing pretty quickly.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ias/imag...ne%20Night.jpg
http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles9617.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-15-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Columbus gets more than its fair share of recognition. Not as much as similar sized city Austin, but not as many cities are over exposed as Austin.

I think Fort Worth, Charlotte, Sacramento... are overshadowed

Austin, Portland... are over-hyped in comparison to what they offer

Cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis, Baltimore are not under-hyped or over-hyped. They received their hype in the past but for some reason they could not keep/maintain the hype like the other big boys of the day (NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia)

Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
How about Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach? People lump them in with Miami, but both FTL (MSA pop 1.7 mil) and WPB (MSA pop 1.4 mil) are decently large metro areas in and of themselves, and each has their own unique vibe and culture. Skylines are underrated as well.

Fort Lauderdale:
http://www.danielseagrave.com/images...lauderdale.jpg

West Palm Beach:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...line_Night.JPG

Last edited by JMT; 08-15-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.