Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Is Rochester, MN a MAJOR city?
I imagine that everyone has their standard by which they consider a status of a city. That said, I tend to agree with you on Rochester and some other cities mentioned as "major". For me, if a city or its metro doesn't fall into the top 50, it's hard to even consider it a major city. i could even be convinced to double that requirement by saying it has to fall within the top 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I imagine that everyone has their standard by which they consider a status of a city. That said, I tend to agree with you on Rochester and some other cities mentioned as "major". For me, if a city or its metro doesn't fall into the top 50, it's hard to even consider it a major city. i could even be convinced to double that requirement by saying it has to fall within the top 25.
By population, it's major region-wise, but nationally it really isnt. It is major in importance, because it is the location of the Mayo Clinic, which makes it an important city, despite the size. It is one of the most medically significat cities in the US. Also, it has a very big downtown for a >200k metro.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Tacoma, Washington. Major city, always overshadowed by Seattle.

Population: 203,397 Density: 3,500 p/sq mile

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge.../TACWW-151.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/...5633cb749d.jpg

Last edited by Bslette; 08-19-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I would say Jackson Mississippi.

When it does get mentioned here it is almost always concerning a negative aspect of the city.
Same with Little Rock, Arkansas. When it gets mentioned, its usually always negative. I wouldn't really call Jackson and Little Rock major cities though. They are only really important to their perspective regions. Little Rock is little more than an excuse to stop for gas and get Mickey D's when driving through on I-40.

And whoever said Charlotte was ignored is off their rockers. Charlotte gets far more national recognition than most cities its size.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Fort Worth is not underrecognized. People always say Dallas-Fort Worth now, especially since both are mentioned in the airport.

I think Greensboro, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Jacksonville are underrecognized. Also San Jose....people do say Silicon Valley but rarely say San Jose. El Paso can be forgotten sometimes as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Nashville and Indianapolis are heavily recognized due to entertainment reasons. Nashville is Music Ciity USA lets not forget that. It is a critical city in our popular culture and entertainment. The Indy 500 brings a lot of attention to Indianapolis every year. I think most cities that are less recognized do not have major sports teams, landmarks, major historic events or cultural icons like cuisine (Kansas City barbecue, New Orleans cooking, etc).

Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Fort Worth is not underrecognized. People always say Dallas-Fort Worth now, especially since both are mentioned in the airport.

I think Greensboro, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Jacksonville are underrecognized. Also San Jose....people do say Silicon Valley but rarely say San Jose. El Paso can be forgotten sometimes as well.
With the explosive growth of Charlotte and Raleigh over the last 3 decades, I agree that Greensboro gets ignored. In fact, the whole metro of Greensboro/High Point/Winston Salem seems to get ignored despite its 1.6 million people. As recently as 1980, Greensboro was NC's 2nd largest city; now it's a distant 3rd with the gap between it and Raleigh widening each year. The same is true for the metro; it used be larger than Raleigh/Durham. Now it's almost 200,000 smaller with the gap widening each year. Greensboro has a decent growth rate nationally but it's nothing compared to its "sisters".

Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Greensboro, NC and Greenville, SC both do seem to get overlooked. They both sort of flank Charlotte (Greenville-Spartanburg to the southwest and the Greensboro tri-cities to the northeast), and maybe that's one reason they get overshadowed.

Also, I might have to add San Juan, Puerto Rico. Sure, it's out in the Caribbean. But it's still part of the United States, and the city's metro area is over 2 million people, making it one of the larger cities in the Caribbean basin itself.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Question (not just for you, but for everyone reading this):

Exactly how many times do you mention Fort Worth WITHOUT saying 'Dallas' first?

P.S., people tend to just say "Dallas International" or "The Dallas Airport"...... trust me, you're not exactly correct on this one.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Greensboro, NC and Greenville, SC both do seem to get overlooked. They both sort of flank Charlotte (Greenville-Spartanburg to the southwest and the Greensboro tri-cities to the northeast), and maybe that's one reason they get overshadowed.

Also, I might have to add San Juan, Puerto Rico. Sure, it's out in the Caribbean. But it's still part of the United States, and the city's metro area is over 2 million people, making it one of the larger cities in the Caribbean basin itself.
I think Greenville, SC gets way to much credit when people talk about it on these boards. I lived in the Upstate for awhile and although I loved Gville, it was only so good compared to the rest of the Carloinas save maybe Charleston and Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.