U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,337,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
A few places come to mind:

Rapid City, SD (A beautiful place...love it there)
Boise, ID (a very underrated city)
Lincoln, NE (high quality of living)

I'm also wondering about places like Appleton, WI, but don't know enough about that area.
I heard Appleton, WI was a $hithole, actually.....Whether or not that's true IDK, but that's just what I heard about it. I think it's heavily industrialized and blue-collar (that doesn't make a place a $hithole, but just adding more info about Appleton based on my extremely limited knowledge of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,082,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I heard Appleton, WI was a $hithole, actually.....Whether or not that's true IDK, but that's just what I heard about it. I think it's heavily industrialized and blue-collar (that doesn't make a place a $hithole, but just adding more info about Appleton based on my extremely limited knowledge of it).
Pretty nasty words about a city you claim to know nothing about. Thirty percent of Appleton's population has a college degree - compared to eleven percent for Cleveland. There are paper mill jobs in Appleton, but much, much more, as well. Minneapolis is known as a city with a highly educated population, yet I believe it's 38 percent - not THAT much more. Really, calling a city a $hithold is pretty nasty. Very disappointed.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,220 times
West:

Boulder, Colorado.
Tucson, Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Midwest:

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Madison, Wisconsin

Are my recommendations for "small feeling" cities in the two region. If you scan them you'll notice most of them are college towns. Small but with a lot of amenities and a live let live atmosphere.

I'd personally pick Santa Fe or Tucson depending on the trade offs you're willing to put up with.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 AM

56,887 posts, read 81,216,145 times
East Lansing MI is another place to possibly consider as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Pretty nasty words about a city you claim to know nothing about. Thirty percent of Appleton's population has a college degree - compared to eleven percent for Cleveland. There are paper mill jobs in Appleton, but much, much more, as well. Minneapolis is known as a city with a highly educated population, yet I believe it's 38 percent - not THAT much more. Really, calling a city a $hithold is pretty nasty. Very disappointed.
Oh no -- you're disappointed in me? You bad-mouth much better cities like Minneapolis (or Cleveland) all the time! Tisk tisk.

I couldn't have made it any clearer that I had only HEARD that and that was the ONLY source of info I had on Appleton, WI. So you're telling me it's some intellectual mecca for Wisconsin or the Upper Midwest now? Great, I have two very conflicting viewpoints on Appleton, WI.....guess I'll never know the REAL Appleton....

Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
West:

Boulder, Colorado.
Tucson, Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Midwest:

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Madison, Wisconsin

Are my recommendations for "small feeling" cities in the two region. If you scan them you'll notice most of them are college towns. Small but with a lot of amenities and a live let live atmosphere.

I'd personally pick Santa Fe or Tucson depending on the trade offs you're willing to put up with.
Don't forget Appleton, WI! I hear it's "Berkeley meets Gary"!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Your exaggeration isn't doing anyone any good. Ridiculous to call a city what you did, without ever visiting. You're taking and using my words out of context. Pretty cool on your part. I never compared Appleton to Berkely, and you're comparing it to Gary. No credibility on your part.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

I never compared appleton to Berkeley, I said the college graduation rate is quite a LOT higher than that of Cleveland, and not that much less than Minneapolis. The comparison to Gary are your words, for all to see. There is no comparison, to either Berkeley or Gary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or