U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,320,562 times

Advertisements

Dallas, TX.............the land that God forgot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM

571 posts, read 993,265 times
AWESOME thread.

Right now I live in Gilbert, AZ.

Cons:
Religious zealots. For some reason religion is at the forefront of too many interactions. A few girl scouts dropped out of my daughter's troop because their mom said girl scouts give money for killing babies (that whole Planned Parenthood issue in the news). Aside from the wacky bible thumpers, lots of mormons out here. They're very nice people but if you have kids, they're going to be excluded from lots of stuff.

Asians / Indians also have a very strong religious identity that permeates daily interactions. (I'm now an expert on what foods are banned in certain religions.)

Weather. By August the heat is oppressive. Gorgeous in the fall and winter.

Although Phoenix is the 5th largest U.S. city - it lacks that urban feel. There are nice pockets with a cool, urban vibe but you really have to look for them.

I do like that snow is easily accessible, skiing, hiking, lakes - it is very pretty. And it has a low cost of living.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 PM

30 posts, read 43,953 times
For me it was Augusta, GA. Really torn down and urban richmond county area and a columbia county area full of the biggest snobs on the planet. It left a bad taste of the south in my mouth, southern hospitality my bum, those people were rude. I loved Maryland (where I am at now) A LOT more. Honestly, everyone that lived there with me disliked it lol.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM

104 posts, read 235,782 times
For me it would be Stockton, CA.

Cons:
This town is dinky(You won't ever say there's too much to do here).

Dirt and grime everywhere I turn(California is just crappy that way).

Jobs are scarce here and all around the central valley(You have to want to do what no body else wants to do).

The dating scene, what dating scene?(If you want a man or woman here, be prepared for used product).

Lots of crazy people here(Its like this town drives people mad).

The crime(Seriously).

Not a place where you want to start a family(or raise one).

I know there are way more cons but i'm too tired to think right now.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM

790 posts, read 1,466,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando, Fl area....it's not all Disney-like.

-Low-paying service economy with very little full-time work
-Largely conservative, religious, hateful/non-tolerant, NRA-loving population
-Highly uneducated population (one of a couple "larger cities" in the US with lowest percent of residents with college degrees)
-Many residents have a misplaced superiority complex. Orlando has a population of 240,000...???
-Not the happiest place one can imagine (one doesn't get the sense people are happy here)
-Inadequate infrastructure (one interstate highway and little in the way of mass transit)
-Cultural wasteland with little interest in the arts
-Horrible food scene (chain restaurants prosper, little access to locally produced foods, just a couple of legitimate farmers markets with actual farmers and even the Whole Foods stores are sub-par editions of what's found elsewhere
-Wal-Mart loving population (enough said)
-The weather (although beautiful October-March offset by vile conditions April-September)
I have lived in Orlando for about seven years and I agree. the area looks pretty nice and the downtown, though small, seems vibrant. The problem is the jaded, cynical attitude of many of her residents. Orlando definitely feels like a city that has lost her edge and is on the way down. Most of the people I work with are looking to "get the hell out of dodge". Amazingly, a lot of people in Orlando still think the crime and the problems within the state of Florida are confined to South Florida, when in fact the rampant crime is in Orlando. The scumbags who have been priced-out of Miami have found their way to Orlando. Hooray! You neglected to mention the violent drivers in the area who plow over pedestrians and then flee the scene. On a more positive note, the weather may be one of the best aspects of Orlando. The fall months are beautiful with the somewhat lower sun angle and shorter days beginning in October.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,331,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post
For me it was Augusta, GA. Really torn down and urban richmond county area and a columbia county area full of the biggest snobs on the planet. It left a bad taste of the south in my mouth, southern hospitality my bum, those people were rude. I loved Maryland (where I am at now) A LOT more. Honestly, everyone that lived there with me disliked it lol.
The troll got caught...

Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,515,676 times
Pretty much where I live right now, funny thing is I've wanted to live in SoCal since I was a kid. I went on holiday all the time and loved it. Once I found out we were moving here, I was so happy. Once I got here though, it was hard for me to make friends and I missed the rain of Oregon and the thunderstorms of Texas (not the heat though). Given I do live in Orange County, I wouldn't mind living closer to LA, but even there I don't feel right. It's too hot, too polluted, and you need a car to get anywhere, which is why the traffic is hell, really not for me. While it's not the worst place on earth, I'm ready to leave and head out, probably Oregon or Colorado.
Honestly, I wanted to get the hell out of Texas when I first moved there too, but I've grown to appreciate it. My mum's family is from there and I made good friends when I lived in Houston. I go out there with my mum when I get the chance, it's really a second home of mine. Sure the heat sucks and people are quite intolerant outside of the major cities, but I feel somewhat at home there.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
I wouldnt use that as a criteria for living somewhere when you can listen to him in any city.
I didn't use it as a criteria.

I really CAN take or leave Eminem.

He's not on my list of favorite musicians/artists for several reason unrelated to his background in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or