U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,367,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Fillipino's there are the largest Asian group by far. Almost as common as Hispanics.
Technically, the Chinese are the largest Asian group in California (though only a little bit above the Filipino population), and this isn't counting many Vietnamese and Filipino Chinese who count themselves as Vietnamese or Filipino and not Chinese.

Chinese Californians (includes Taiwanese): 1,253,102
Filipino Californians: 1,195,580

However, when you take into consideration the "in combination" population, then this is what it looks like:

Filipino (-ancestry) Californians: 1,474,707
Chinese (-ancestry) Californians (includes Taiwanese): 1,459,039

They're relatively similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,835,055 times
There was a Filipino-American on top of a palm tree on my terrace today. I'd say that that was a pretty unlikely place to find one. Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
This might be a good list to start with:
Red Ribbon Bakeshop USA Store Locator

Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,138,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
This might be a good list to start with:
Red Ribbon Bakeshop USA Store Locator
There are several Filipino bake shops, restaurants, & markets in Houston. None of them Red Ribbon, Jollybee, or Seafood City though...not yet anyways.

Godos, Gold Ribbon, House of Chicken, & Filipiniana are just a few of the local places.

Houston has the largest Filipino population in the Southern US.

Here is a full list

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/rest...e/filipino.asp

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-21-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,059,120 times
Born and raised in Grand Rapids, MI. Mom/Dad emigrated from the Philippines, and almost all our (Filipino) family friends in GR are Dr's.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
I know a Filipino-American (born in the Philippines but came to the USA as a small child) that lived for several years in Lexington, KY. I also know an American born woman whose father came from Philippines who lives in Portland, OR.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM

12,204 posts, read 10,441,159 times
There are a lot of Filipinos in Ohio, which I found surprising when I moved here. But yes, they are everywhere in the US by now, and an integrated fabric in our culture, just like Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM

444 posts, read 527,173 times
It's funny to see people here say " I know a Filipino" or "met a Filipino once" yada yada. Here in California they're literally everywhere fully integrated like nothing new.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,138,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
It's funny to see people here say " I know a Filipino" or "met a Filipino once" yada yada. Here in California they're literally everywhere fully integrated like nothing new.
Obviously so given California is the gateway state into America from Asia.

Texas is no exception, Filipino's are everywhere & some have even been living here for the past 30-40+ years. Houston has the single largest Filipino population by far in the southern reaches of the country. Dallas is not far behind. Heck, even the smaller towns of Texas with sizeable medical facilities have lots of Filipinos working as doctors, nurses, home health, & in nursing homes. I live in a town of 100,000 & the head of our local BBB is a young Filipina-American.

I met a Filipina not long ago in Houston that was mixed with Indian from India. She looked straight up Indian yet spoke Tagalog fluently. Mixed races like this are very common in the huge melting pot that is Houston & Texas.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,367,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Well its better than outright saying that they know no Filipinos or saying something stupid or ignorant about us. However, looking at where my relatives live, I think its safe to say there are Filipinos everywhere in the USA now and none of them feel particularly threatened or insulted day to day. California just has a longer history of getting us (along with EVERY East and Southeast Asian nationality)

Due to the poor economic management of the Philippines, Filipinos can be found nearly everywhere around the world nowadays. For example, I have relatives in Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, Italy, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and all these other exotic places. Guess it beats being unemployed, drinking San Mig or Tanduay, and wondering when it will stop being so freakin' hot.

I'm a religious minority from a really horribly messed up part of the Philippines (not saying that the rest of the Philippines isn't messed up, but jeez! Add all the above with an uncertainty of when a happy group of throat slitters will pay you a visit for some money/sack of rice/your shoes/etc.) and a lot of people I meet even IN CA have a hard time accepting the fact that I'm a Filipino Muslim. I guess my appearance and name are a throw off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or