Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
As usual, you have nothing factual to back any of what you said up. The only true statement in this post is that Houston has the largest Filipino population in the South. Allow me to enlighten you:

I said neither DFW nor Houston receives many Filipino immigrants and that they flock to the West Coast, Vegas, Chicago, and NYC. That is factual. Click on supplemental table two from the link below:

Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2011 | Homeland Security

I said the South (including DFW and Houston) have relatively small Filipino populations and that they are mostly on the West Coast, Vegas, NYC, and Chicago. Thats true:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-11.pdf

You said the Filipino population in Houston is twice that of DFW. That is false:

Houston Filipinos: 39,452
DFW Filipinos: 24,065

American FactFinder - Results

American FactFinder - Results

Here are the Filipino populations from 2000. You can use the factfinder links above to calculate the population differences from 2010. As you can see the Filipino growth in Texas and the South was anemic compared to just about ever other area of the US. The growth in Las Vegas is especially notable:

Filipinos
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 304,349
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 199,857
3 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 166,232
4 Honolulu, HI 120,677
5 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 115,530
6 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 83,060
7 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 76,563
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 47,480
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 42,893
10 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 40,443
11 Vallejo-Fairfield, CA 33,829
12 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 32,609
13 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 29,601
14 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 24,680
15 Kahului-Wailuku, HI 22,756
16 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 21,938
17 Stockton, CA 19,776
18 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 17,643
19 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA 15,366
20 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 12,706
21 Jacksonville, FL 12,020
22 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 11,988
23 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 11,976
24 Hilo, HI 11,856
25 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 11,834
So Houston has 15,387 more Filipinos than D/FW with 600K-700K less people in its metro.

Who is anemic?

Not only that, Houston's Filipino's are way more concentrated than D/FW where the population trends are very sporadic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So Houston has 15,387 more Filipinos than D/FW with 600K-700K less people in its metro.

Who is anemic?

Not only that, Houston's Filipino's are way more concentrated than D/FW where the population trends are very sporadic.
You dont get it. This isnt a Houston vs. DFW thing as much as I know you would like it to be.

This is about Houston/DFW/Texas vs. the rest of the US in Filipino concentration. They come up short. The Filipino community in Houston may be the largest in the South, but its nothing compared to the West Coast, Vegas, Chicago, NYC, DC, etc.

I have the facts laid out for you, all you have to do is read. Its cut and dry and no matter how you spin it, Houston's Filipino community is nothing to jump and down about and yes Im fully aware that DFW's is realtively small. Filipinos overwhelmingly prefer other parts (West Coast, East Coast, Chicago, and Vegas) of the US to anywhere in Texas or the South. Period.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You dont get it. This isnt a Houston vs. DFW thing as much as I know you would like it to be.

This is about Houston/DFW/Texas vs. the rest of the US in Filipino concentration. They come up short. The Filipino community in Houston may be the largest in the South, but its nothing compared to the West Coast, Vegas, Chicago, NYC, DC, etc.

I have the facts laid out for you, all you have to do is read. Its cut and dry and no matter how you spin it, Houston's Filipino community is nothing to jump and down about and yes Im fully aware that DFW's is realtively small. Filipinos overwhelmingly prefer other parts (West Coast, East Coast, Chicago, and Vegas) of the US to anywhere in Texas or the South. Period.
As I said, Houston has the largest medical complex in the world. That is a fact. Filipinos will continue flocking to Houston. If you weren't aware, US hospitals recruit directly from the Philippines for nurses and med techs. My gf was recruited from Cebu on a working visa.

Ever heard of The Krackernutz or DJ Riddler? They are a group of well known Filipino DJs in Houston who spin on local Hip Hop stations for reknown Hip Hop DJ/Producer Michael "5,000" Watts and remix Pop music songs for artists like Christina Aguilara.

The Kracker Nuttz | Official Website of Houston's Best Hip Hop DJs

http://www.djriddler.com/

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-27-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,352,395 times
I don't think Houston or DFW, given that both are large metro areas, doesn't fit into a thread where that asks for "Filipino Americans in unlikely places"

Most ethnicities exist in every single major metro in the United States. Regardless if the community has 5-10 people or 500,000-1 million people, they exist as a community.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
As I said, Houston has the largest medical complex in the world. That is a fact. Filipinos will continue flocking to Houston. If you weren't aware, US hospitals recruit directly from the Philippines for nurses and med techs. My gf was recruited from Cebu on a working visa.

Ever heard of The Krackernutz or DJ Riddler? They are a group of well known Filipino DJs in Houston who spin on local Hip Hop stations for reknown Hip Hop DJ/Producer Michael "5,000" Watts and remix Pop music songs for artists like Christina Aguilara.

The Kracker Nuttz | Official Website of Houston's Best Hip Hop DJs

http://www.djriddler.com/
Youre reaching my friend.

You have nothing to back it up except talk. You can say Filipinos are flocking to Houston, but theres about 10 other metro areas where they are flocking to in much larger numbers.

You honestly think that having a DJ from a certain places makes Houston somehow a haven for Filipinos? One of Dallas' best known DJ's is from Israel (DJ Avi). That doesnt make DFW some sort of Israeli hotbed now does it?

Nothing but talk. Thats all youve given. Bring hard data or consider this conversation over.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I don't think Houston or DFW, given that both are large metro areas, doesn't fit into a thread where that asks for "Filipino Americans in unlikely places"

Most ethnicities exist in every single major metro in the United States. Regardless if the community has 5-10 people or 500,000-1 million people, they exist as a community.
An unlikely place then would be my hometown of Tyler, Texas where Filipino's make up the largest Asian group in this metro of 260K+ people. Our medical community here is huge & COL very, very low that is part of the reason. We are also a conservative town & the majority of Filipino's identify themselves as ultra conservative.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
An unlikely place then would be my hometown of Tyler, Texas where Filipino's make up the largest Asian group in this metro of 260K+ people. Our medical community here is huge & COL very, very low that is part of the reason. We are also a conservative town & the majority of Filipino's identify themselves as ultra conservative.
Most Filipino-American registered voters (IE: the people who have a voice in the political process) aren't that conservative.

http://www.aaldef.org/docs/AALDEF-ExitPoll-2008.pdf (Refer to page 7)

Filipino registered voters:
45% Democrat
25% Republican
26% Not Enrolled
4% Other

Keep in mind that the population profile of ALL Asian American registered voters is younger, which explains why Democrats have a much higher rate of Asian-American registered voters than the Republicans do. Democrats tend to do well among younger voter than older ones. Not to say that conservative people can't vote for the Democrats, but it isn't all that likely they would.

Most older people have their more conservative views, but are less likely to express it at the ballot box.

I don't know about your town in particular, but it may or may not be the case. I don't know, since I've never been there.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Most Filipino-American registered voters (IE: the people who have a voice in the political process) aren't that conservative.

http://www.aaldef.org/docs/AALDEF-ExitPoll-2008.pdf (Refer to page 7)

Filipino registered voters:
45% Democrat
25% Republican
26% Not Enrolled
4% Other

Keep in mind that the population profile of ALL Asian American registered voters is younger, which explains why Democrats have a much higher rate of Asian-American registered voters than the Republicans do. Democrats tend to do well among younger voter than older ones. Not to say that conservative people can't vote for the Democrats, but it isn't all that likely they would.

Most older people have their more conservative views, but are less likely to express it at the ballot box.

I don't know about your town in particular, but it may or may not be the case. I don't know, since I've never been there.
BS

The majority of Filipino's (outside of California) are Conservative Republicans ie: strict Catholics, anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, etc. etc.

The Philippines is one of the most conservative places on the planet. If you didn't know that maybe you should research it.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
BS

The majority of Filipino's (outside of California) are Conservative Republicans ie: strict Catholics, anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, etc. etc.

The Philippines is one of the most conservative places on the planet. If you didn't know that maybe you should research it.
Go read the first post from Lifeshadower in this thread and re-think what you wrote.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
BS

Yeah, I dunno..I did partially grow up there. So, I think I know maybe a tiny bit about the Philippines (spent a huge chunk of my 2nd grade year there). Just a guess though. Maybe that isn't enough since I was a kid. Or if not talking to my cousins via skype, facebook, etc. doesn't count, I don't know what does.

This is besides the point. The data is right there. Argue all you want, but it is what it is. I don't know how much you watch ABS-CBN or read Filipino newspapers (not Fil-Am newspapers like AsiaWeek or Asian Nation, I mean newspapers straight from the Philippines) or watch any sort of Tagalog media, you'd know that things are changing really quickly. Hell, before 2005, Eid ul-Fitr wasn't even considered a government recognized holiday, and now it is.

In addition, nearly a majority of Filipinos IN the US live in California, not that really means anything because there are plenty of Conservative Filipinos that live in California:

California Filipinos (alone): 1,195,580
United States Filipinos (alone): 2,555,923
46.7% of all Filipino Americans live in California

The generation that grew up here are a bit more loose, and those are the ones are voting. If you don't think so, then you and I run in different circles.

And even if all I said doesn't mean anything, the data remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.