U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yeah, I dunno..I did partially grow up there. So, I think I know maybe a tiny bit about the Philippines (spent a huge chunk of my 2nd grade year there). Just a guess though. Maybe that isn't enough since I was a kid. Or if not talking to my cousins via skype, facebook, etc. doesn't count, I don't know what does.

This is besides the point. The data is right there. Argue all you want, but it is what it is. I don't know how much you watch ABS-CBN or read Filipino newspapers (not Fil-Am newspapers like AsiaWeek or Asian Nation, I mean newspapers straight from the Philippines) or watch any sort of Tagalog media, you'd know that things are changing really quickly. Hell, before 2005, Eid ul-Fitr wasn't even considered a government recognized holiday, and now it is.

In addition, nearly a majority of Filipinos IN the US live in California, not that really means anything because there are plenty of Conservative Filipinos that live in California:

California Filipinos (alone): 1,195,580
United States Filipinos (alone): 2,555,923
46.7% of all Filipino Americans live in California

The generation that grew up here are a bit more loose, and those are the ones are voting. If you don't think so, then you and I run in different circles.

And even if all I said doesn't mean anything, the data remains.
I watch TFC and all of those networks.

The Filipino people are an ultra conservative people, even though they are very laid back (Spanish influence). You should be able to admit that.

Gay marriage isn't legal in the Phillipines & Sundays are days of worship & going to church. No one over there works on Sundays.

While there are lots of gay Filipinos, its still not an accepted way of life over there even though they pretend it is by laughing at it. Pinoys love to laugh & crack jokes on everything & everyone. You will rarely find a dead serious Pinoy.

Yes, Filipino's in Cali. are so common they are like the Mexican of Asians over there.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-27-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,357,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I watch TFC and all of those networks.
All those networks? Which ones?

Quote:
The Philipino people are ultra conservative even you should be able to admit that.
I don't know who the "Philipino" people are, but I do know of Pilipinos (Tagalog spelling) or Filipinos are. I'm only busting your balls because you're dating one, and that's sort of a pet peeve of ours.

Conservative in terms of what? "Conservative" in the US is different than "Conservative" there.

And it doesn't really change what I say: things are changing. Are they or are they not?

I didn't really say anything about Filipinos in the Philippines either (sort of out of the scope for the topic), but rather Fil-Ams who live and vote here.

http://www.aaldef.org/docs/AALDEF-ExitPoll-2008.pdf
And like it or not, here's their voter registration profile:
45% Democrat
25% Republican
26% Not Enrolled
4% Other

Quote:
While there are lots of gay Filipinos, its still not an accepted way of life over there even though they pretend it is by laughing at it.
By who? Have you done a poll or read a survey? I said the "younger generation", which is the largest demographic profile (those between 18-35) in the Philippines.

I'm pretty sure if you live in Makati, it really doesn't matter what some campesina in the the Visayas thinks. If you know about the Philippines, you'd know that money is the ultimate arbiter of anything. A gay rich person will ALWAYS have more rights than a poor Catholic provinciana who goes to church diligently.

I do agree that being gay isn't that accepted still, but it isn't like they are getting executed out in the street either.

Quote:
Yes, Filipino's in Cali. are so common they are like the Mexican of Asians over there.
Ok, and that is relevant because?

And second of all, again, there are nearly as many Chinese Americans as there are Filipino Americans here. Is that or is that not true?

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: English only

Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM

In other news, Pinoy fast food giant, Jollibee set to open up in Houston.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...etail-wrap-66/

www.jollibeeusa.com

Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM

444 posts, read 526,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Go read the first post from Lifeshadower in this thread and re-think what you wrote.
I wouldn't bother. Arguing with this "Metro" guy is like arguing with an 11 year old.

Wait, he probably is 11 years old. No wonder he's seems so excited about finally buying kid's pak with fried chicken and spaghetti and a bee character stamped on the bag.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
I wouldn't bother. Arguing with this "Metro" guy is like arguing with an 11 year old.

Wait, he probably is 11 years old. No wonder he's seems so excited about finally buying kid's pak with fried chicken and spaghetti and a bee character stamped on the bag.
Its a Filipino thing, you wouldn't understand...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
My dad speaks Bisaya (he went to college in Cebu), but his native language is Maguindinaoan. Dad's family is from Mindanao (Southern Philippines), or more specifically, Cotobato City.

Mom is from Illocos Norte (she's a native Ilocano speaker), same town as Ferdinand Marcos. Way on the other side of the Philippines. Not as messed up as Mindanao, but it still has the typical 3rd world problems.

Parents communicate using a mix of Tagalog, Spanish, and English. Typical of people their age.

The Southern Philippines...kind of hard to describe to people. Best way to describe it is that its probably the most diverse part of the Philippines in terms of religion (of course, its still majorly Catholic and Protestant, but with a HUGE Muslim minority, and a large number of people believing in tribal religions), but with the Spanish, American, and now Philippine government sending large numbers of settlers from other parts of the Philippines to settle in formerly Muslim land to tie it in more closely with the rest of the Philippines.

If you can imagine, this has pretty much lead to on and off war for the past 500 years. Things have quieted down nowadays, but now its devolved from religion vs. religion to militia vs. militia, or clan vs. clan infighting among the Muslim population, not that we are that organized to begin with. A bunch of tribal rambos running around thinking they call the shots basically.

Islamic insurgency in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says it started in 1969, but it never really had a "start" or "end" period. It just keeps going and going and going.

Anywhere else in the Philippines is paradise in comparison, never mind anywhere in the Western World (including the most hick towns in the US)

I have a few relatives in the Houston area. They like it there, but said the weather reminds them way too much of the Philippines in the summer. I also know one of my classmates from middle school (really really cute Filipina) who lives in Plano, TX (DFW area) now.

I'd rather not have all these ethnic communities just in California. I believe in spreading the wealth It makes our country collectively stronger!
in my previous life, worked for the National Police and had a Muslim friend who hails from Pagadian. his unit is the front line for counter insurgency. he said that when their unit will be going in Basilan, he cried, all of them (ok, maybe not crying in the literal sense but everybody, whether Muslim or Christian are afraid to go to these messed up provinces)

Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
As usual, you have nothing factual to back any of what you said up. The only true statement in this post is that Houston has the largest Filipino population in the South. Allow me to enlighten you:

I said neither DFW nor Houston receives many Filipino immigrants and that they flock to the West Coast, Vegas, Chicago, and NYC. That is factual. Click on supplemental table two from the link below:

Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2011 | Homeland Security

I said the South (including DFW and Houston) have relatively small Filipino populations and that they are mostly on the West Coast, Vegas, NYC, and Chicago. Thats true:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-11.pdf

You said the Filipino population in Houston is twice that of DFW. That is false:

Houston Filipinos: 39,452
DFW Filipinos: 24,065

American FactFinder - Results

American FactFinder - Results

Here are the Filipino populations from 2000. You can use the factfinder links above to calculate the population differences from 2010. As you can see the Filipino growth in Texas and the South was anemic compared to just about ever other area of the US. The growth in Las Vegas is especially notable:

Filipinos
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 304,349
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 199,857
3 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA 166,232
4 Honolulu, HI 120,677
5 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 115,530
6 Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI 83,060
7 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 76,563
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 47,480
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 42,893
10 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 40,443
11 Vallejo-Fairfield, CA 33,829
12 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 32,609
13 Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA 29,601
14 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 24,680
15 Kahului-Wailuku, HI 22,756
16 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 21,938
17 Stockton, CA 19,776
18 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 17,643
19 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA 15,366
20 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 12,706
21 Jacksonville, FL 12,020
22 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 11,988
23 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 11,976
24 Hilo, HI 11,856
25 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 11,834
Strange, the number for Jacksonville appears to be well below what I have seen.
From the 2010 census, within city limits is over 14k.

Jacksonville, FL Population and Races - USA.comô

And somewhere else I thought I saw the metro had around 25k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or