U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM

9,552 posts, read 9,431,995 times

Advertisements

I read that Filipino Americans are the second-largest Asian American ethnicity in the United States (Chinese Americans being the first). They are concentrated in California and Hawaii, but they live all across the United States. I'll give an example.
There were two Filipino families who settled in a nearby town (I live in Mississippi) back in the 1960s. They became quite affluent because the family patriarchs are doctors. There are also Filipinas who have worked as contract nurses at the local hospitals. They stay for a couple of years then move on, with new ones taking their place. They usually share an apartment or two. All of them attend my church if their work schedules don't interfere.

Are you aware of communities in your area?

God bless,

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
There's a lot of Fillipinos in parts of Washington especially Seattle and it's suburbs. There's a number in Oregon as well, though not as many as Washington State.

I've read that Juneau, Alaska has a Fillipino community going back to the early part of the 20th Century.

I grew up with lots of Fillipino-American kids in Santa Cruz, California who I actually never realized were Fillipino until years later. They never talked about their ethnicity and depending on their names, I always assumed they were Hispanic or Chinese.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-16-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM

18,601 posts, read 19,571,823 times
We have Filipino folks living in my town in inland So CA.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,365,271 times
Does me and my family count?

I've lived in:

Staten Island, NY
North Hollywood, CA
Berkeley, CA
Phoenix, AZ

I have relatives in

All over Hawaii
Seattle, WA
Riverside, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago, IL
Valparaiso, IN
Detroit, MI area
Las Vegas, NV
Alexandria, LA
Houston, TX
Killeen, TX
Almost everywhere in CA, including Fresno, Stockton, etc.

Yeah, I don't really think about it.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 08-16-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Also, I believe Fillipinos might be the largest ethnic group in Hawaii at this point. And of my friends from Hawaii that I went to college with probably close to a third or half of them were Fillipino or part-Fillipino.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM

148 posts, read 195,824 times
Default filipinos are everywhere

my parents immigrated here from the phillipines in the early 70s our family and extended family extends worldwide in europe, australia, phillipines and usa... in usa i got family in FL, WV, CA, and IL. in chicago, there are many filipino communities in or around niles/skokie, and glendale heights. we tend to come from or have very large families so our locations can vary widely. phillipines is the most westernized of the asian countries, as english is emphasized heavily, usually taught as a second language in elementary. majority religion is christian/ catholicism via jesuit spainiard influence in the 16th century. there are 11 million overseas filipino workers worldwide. i went to la this past spring and went to the filipino mall in glendale. i swear when i entered the parking lot it was like going to the mall "SM" in the phillipines lol. they even had goldilocks bakery and jollibee fast food there.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM

199 posts, read 373,242 times
Every hospital in the U.S. has a large number of Filipino workers, from nurses to technicians, and also some doctors.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times
Filipinos seem to be overwhelmingly on the West Coast, Chicago, New York, and Las Vegas.

In Las Vegas and San Diego Filipinos are by far the largest group.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM

346 posts, read 843,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Filipinos seem to be overwhelmingly on the West Coast, Chicago, New York, and Las Vegas.

In Las Vegas and San Diego Filipinos are by far the largest group.
Daly City, CA (just south of SF) is known for having a large Filipino population.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
At the HS I attended, we had a few kids that were part Filipino. Usually the mother of the kids was Filipino, as I remember one family had a Greek surname and another had a French surname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or