U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm not really too worried about the death of English any time soon. Miami is one of the cities where Spanish pretty much dominates (I joke that it's a Spanish-speaking place where you can get by with English). But even there, I knew children of Spanish-speaking immigrants who worked in retail (so, would realistically use Spanish daily) who had big gaps in their vocabulary. I could tell that their kids will probably only learn Spanish in school like everyone else. I worked with a guy from Georgia whose father was Puerto Rican, but his Spanish was worse than mine (and I only took two years in high school). I could tell in a few generations, English would become the dominant language for these people.

Now, Miami will still be predominately Spanish-speaking, but that's mostly a combination of high levels of immigration and natives moving out. It won't be because kids aren't learning Engilsh.
It's not that Miami will be predominately Spanish-speaking....it's that Miami will remain primarily bilingual or multilingual. Today's immigrants aren't completely tossing their heritage/language like many did a hundred years ago. This is due to the fact that they world is more interconnected and communication in a variety of languages is more valuable in today's global economy. That said and like all other immigrant waves, immigrant offspring are quickly assimilated into American society including the American version of the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Of course not. But you have to remember that most of these changes were ones that businesses decided to implement in order to get the business of Spanish speakers. It's a business decision to get money or provide better costumer service. It's not a big conspiracy to prevent assimilation.
You don't know Texas if you think it is just business. They first told me that I could not work with the census because I didn't speak spanish fluently above. About 95% of the census workers in San Antonio were mexican. This does not give with the actual population since only 60% of SA is Mexican.

Also it is extremely hard to find a teaching job if you don't speak spanish.

so no its not a business thing. across the board is spanish- English in some parts of Texas. In Some its 100% spanish.

Quote:
There are reasons to be concerned, though. The past model was that immigrants would come over with little skills and no money and scrape by for a living. Their children would do better than them in terms of education attained and money made and their grandchildren would do any better. With Hispanic immigrant groups, this seems to be true of the 2nd generation (they fare little worse than children of other groups), however there seems to be a wall and the 3rd generation doesn't see the expected improvements to education and economic status. Whether or not this has to do with Spanish-language bubbles or other reasons, I'm not sure.
the reason is they are babied more than other groups. They can't make it in the real world because everything they need to get by up to high school is done in college. It is basically like they are still in Mexico. so why bother learn English is the mentality until they get out in the real world and hit a brick wall?

Quote:
Another area of concern is that only 48% of 3rd Generation Hispanic Americans identify themselves as American first (and Hispanic second, I would presume), although this is much higher (70%) among those making over $70K a year.
well, when I lived in San Antonio and when I visit South Texas and some other areas I don't feel like I am in the US so I don't see why they would Identify with the US. There is more to identify with Mexico in those areas than the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's not that Miami will be predominately Spanish-speaking....it's that Miami will remain primarily bilingual or multilingual. Today's immigrants aren't completely tossing their heritage/language like many did a hundred years ago.
This ^^^^^was what I was getting at in my first post. Today's immigrants don't set up Little Italy where they maintain their culture separate from their normal american life. No, Today's immigrants live their life like they are still at home.

Its not that today's immigrants are assimilating, its more likely that we are being assimilated into new cultures. I have gone to kids birthday parties where there are not one mexican in attendance and saw the kids whacking at a piñata instead of playing something more traditional like pin the tail on the donkey

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,444,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its not that today's immigrants are assimilating, its more likely that we are being assimilated into new cultures. I have gone to kids birthday parties where there are not one mexican in attendance and saw the kids whacking at a piñata instead of playing something more traditional like pin the tail on the donkey
What's wrong with piñatas?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM

4,265 posts, read 6,345,646 times
Immigration will change America as much as America will change immigrants. If you expect anything else you are either naive or horribly xenophobic. White kids will have pinatas at their birthday parties, salsa will outsell ketchup, and black people in Detroit with Catholic parents will convert to Islam. It's a two way street, not my way or the highway. It has always been thus. There was a time when pizza was considered something alien to America and sushi was considered bait. Back in the day, nobody in New York City knew what a bodega was--and before that there was a time when nobody knew what a delicatessen was. Immigrants will change us with their culture, their food, their music, their language. And best of all, the nation remains strong. So I welcome the Philipinos, the Mexicans, the Vietnamese, the Somalis, the Iranians and Indians and Lebanese and Egyptians, the Ecuadorians and Chinese and Taiwanese, and all the rest. The beauty of it as that while immigration can be a short term cost, our history has proven that it is also a long-term asset. All these different folks only make us better in the long-run.

As the saying goes, "Only In America!"

Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You don't know Texas if you think it is just business. They first told me that I could not work with the census because I didn't speak spanish fluently above. About 95% of the census workers in San Antonio were mexican. This does not give with the actual population since only 60% of SA is Mexican.
Interestingly enough, Mexican immigration into San Antonio lags behind several other metro areas in Texas. On average, Houston and DFW see 7500-8000 immigrants from Mexico per year, followed by El Paso at about 5000, and McAllen at 3000.

San Antonio averages about 2300 immigrants from Mexico per year. I get the impression that San Antonio is more Texan and Historically Mexican vs. modern day Mexican. San Antonio barley outpaces Austin in Mexican immigration.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
What's wrong with piñatas?
I did not say anything was wrong with it. I gave it as an example of the change in cultures

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Immigration will change America as much as America will change immigrants. If you expect anything else you are either naive or horribly xenophobic. White kids will have pinatas at their birthday parties, salsa will outsell ketchup, and black people in Detroit with Catholic parents will convert to Islam. It's a two way street, not my way or the highway. It has always been thus. There was a time when pizza was considered something alien to America and sushi was considered bait. Back in the day, nobody in New York City knew what a bodega was--and before that there was a time when nobody knew what a delicatessen was. Immigrants will change us with their culture, their food, their music, their language. And best of all, the nation remains strong. So I welcome the Philipinos, the Mexicans, the Vietnamese, the Somalis, the Iranians and Indians and Lebanese and Egyptians, the Ecuadorians and Chinese and Taiwanese, and all the rest. The beauty of it as that while immigration can be a short term cost, our history has proven that it is also a long-term asset. All these different folks only make us better in the long-run.

As the saying goes, "Only In America!"
I don't think it's so simple. America has been an immigration magnet for so long but for the longest time most of those immigrants were Europeans and there were quotas put on different parts of the world. That changed in the 60s when many restrictions were lifted and the system was changed. There is a difference between "then" and "now" and people are wondering what affect, if any, this will have on the assimilation idea for the future.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,544 times
We should be talking about Asian immigration now. Mexican immigration had its day. Even if that day was barely yesterday, lol.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,851,248 times
african immigrants are the model immigrants in america. The few who don't end up going back to Africa will eventually own a lot of big spots in this country. Most children of Caribbean parents, and african immigrants for the most part have a good future ahead of them. But thats only 2 sections of the black world so we shall see how they effect the country in the future.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
Unless things are changed, I see them with the rest of America bowing to the Chinese in a communist country.

People need to start being responsible for themselves. We made rules to be friendly to immigrants but some really low class people have stomped on those rules and taken advantage of our good nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or